FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   TravelUp (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1985796-travelup.html)

sammyg901 Mar 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Just so you know, SQ are keeping all the tickets open automatically, so you can leave it until flights are running again. Personally I think May 1 is ambitious based on the current situation here and in the UK / US particularly, although it is the date Emirates are currently targeting for example. But anyones guess at this point!

Whyone Apr 1, 2020 4:26 am

A quick update to hopefully (fingers crossed, touch-wood, rabbit foot in hand etc etc!!!!) give TravelUp customers here some confidence.

My son and I were due to fly BA LGW-DOH-HAN today (for the F1 race this weekend ;( ) and we were contacted by TravelUp by email ~36 hours before our flight. They offered a cash refund (less some fee's which amount to ~£70/ticket) and saying that if I accepted this, a refund would be made in 6-8 weeks.

I accepted their offer to cancel and refund, the flights have disappeared from 'My Flight Bookings' shortly afterwards - a good sign I think?!

I spoke to BA on the gold line number (I was caught unawares....absolutely no wait!) and they confirmed our bookings had been cancelled but could see little further information at this stage.

So, it's now sit tight and hope time!

Paren Apr 1, 2020 6:31 am

Also an update from me (I was also due to fly out for the F1 in Hanoi)..

A couple of days ago TravelUp cancelled my flights and said I need to refer to my original ticket number should I wish to make a new booking.

The flights were not cancelled hence I believe this is why they did not offer a cash refund, but if I can get booked onto something else soon then I don't mind. If not then I'll push for a cash refund.

Raffles Apr 2, 2020 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Whyone (Post 32253462)
A quick update to hopefully (fingers crossed, touch-wood, rabbit foot in hand etc etc!!!!) give TravelUp customers here some confidence.

My son and I were due to fly BA LGW-DOH-HAN today (for the F1 race this weekend ;( ) and we were contacted by TravelUp by email ~36 hours before our flight. They offered a cash refund (less some fee's which amount to ~£70/ticket) and saying that if I accepted this, a refund would be made in 6-8 weeks.

I accepted their offer to cancel and refund, the flights have disappeared from 'My Flight Bookings' shortly afterwards - a good sign I think?!

I spoke to BA on the gold line number (I was caught unawares....absolutely no wait!) and they confirmed our bookings had been cancelled but could see little further information at this stage.

So, it's now sit tight and hope time!

You shouldn't be paying £70 per ticket though. If you'd booked direct there would be no fee.

Whyone Apr 2, 2020 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 32256689)
You shouldn't be paying £70 per ticket though. If you'd booked direct there would be no fee.

Interesting...and yes I know that if I'd booked direct with BA that there would be a full refund.

This is what TraveUp had to say, I quote:

"Please note that certain elements of a booking are completely non-refundable in any case of cancellation (through your own choice or due to the airline cancellation) which include but not limited to Travel up's original booking fee and ticket suppliers administration fee (where applicable)."

They are sending an invoice for these fees so I can pass them through my travel insurance.

Dan1113 Apr 2, 2020 5:06 am

I have a very expensive BA travelup booking (in Y), but not until end of June. GLA to GRU, but then back from LIM. Lots can still change. My main concern are restrictions in the country I am leaving from (Peru) but the flights still going. We'll see! Wishing I had booked directly with BA, though. I imagine travelup was only a few pounds cheaper but when I booked many months ago, I was trying to save a few pennies.

AdamUK Apr 2, 2020 7:00 am

My experience with Carlton Leisure wasn’t great in the end with cancellations and staff seemingly contradicting what BA were saying to me. I’ll get additional money back from insurance, but I’ve learnt that sometimes paying that little extra direct to BA is probably worth it in the end.

Paren Apr 4, 2020 8:33 am

In all the years I've been travelling, this was the very first time I booked with a TA, otherwise I usually go direct to the airline.

Just my luck...

wmaciej Apr 4, 2020 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Whyone (Post 32256703)
Interesting...and yes I know that if I'd booked direct with BA that there would be a full refund.

"Please note that certain elements of a booking are completely non-refundable in any case of cancellation (through your own choice or due to the airline cancellation) which include but not limited to Travel up's original booking fee and ticket suppliers administration fee (where applicable)."

They are sending an invoice for these fees so I can pass them through my travel insurance.

I’ve been told the same - I’m going to dispute the transaction with amex. Flight cancelled = full refund.

joequimby Apr 4, 2020 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Whyone (Post 32256703)

I had a booking with TravelUp where the flight was cancelled. They insisted on an admin fee which I refused. They stopped responded after that and the flight date has now elapsed. Got Amex involved as I really couldn't be bothered and when this thing is all over, I won't be going anywhere near TravelUp.

ID90_J Apr 4, 2020 9:52 am

Never book with TravelUp. They are scam artists.

Always go direct. The small premium is worth it.

UKtravelbear Apr 4, 2020 10:01 am

Originally Posted by joequimby (Post 32263365)
I had a booking with TravelUp where the flight was cancelled. They insisted on an admin fee which I refused. They stopped responded after that and the flight date has now elapsed. Got Amex involved as I really couldn't be bothered and when this thing is all over, I won't be going anywhere near TravelUp.

That was part of the contract you agreed to when you used them. Just because the airline or hotel gives you a full refund does not mean the agency can't apply its own fees

SteveF Apr 4, 2020 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 32263194)
In all the years I've been travelling, this was the very first time I booked with a TA, otherwise I usually go direct to the airline.

Just my luck...

I've only ever made one booking with an online TA, which happened to be Expedia. I still don't know why I did it, but I'll put it down to a senior moment. Of course it went wrong and it cost me the best part of the last day of my holiday to sort it out. Never again.

Hopefully when this is all over and people start travelling again they will realise that there's very little upside to using these companies apart from saving a couple of quid, which could probably be saved anyway by phoning the hotel or airline direct and getting a price match (or better).

Whyone Apr 6, 2020 2:13 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 32263416)
That was part of the contract you agreed to when you used them. Just because the airline or hotel gives you a full refund does not mean the agency can't apply its own fees

Originally Posted by joequimby (Post 32263365)

This is now my clear understanding UKtravelbear and as such, Amex are unlikely to want to know joequimby

I am going with what I hope is the path of least resistance - take a refund from TravelUp less their fees and then use the invoice they say they'll provide to claim the fee's back through my travel insurance.

marconess Apr 6, 2020 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 32253681)
The flights were not cancelled hence I believe this is why they did not offer a cash refund, but if I can get booked onto something else soon then I don't mind. If not then I'll push for a cash refund.

If the flights weren't cancelled by the airline why would you be entitled to a full refund? (Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding the dilemma)