FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   One hour period without Air Steward service Club Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1985727-one-hour-period-without-air-steward-service-club-europe.html)

demolineux Sep 3, 2019 7:34 am

One hour period without Air Steward service Club Europe

On a 4.5 hour Club Europe flight recently, there was a period of one hour where the busy air hostess had to go back and work in Economy with their service. That meant for over an hour, the 9 or so Club Europe pax had no drinks service. Personally, I think this is unacceptable considering the cost, however, I do understand that it wasn't the air steward's fault. I am in two minds to complain, but equally, would feel bad if the air hostess got in trouble. Would you complain?

The _Banking_Scot Sep 3, 2019 7:37 am

Hi.

Can I ask what route this is please?

If it is a lcy route with only 2 crew then it is understandable that they may help in the euro traveller cabin but a 4.5hr flight does not sound like a lcy route

Regards

Tbs

Tobias-UK Sep 3, 2019 7:38 am

In that situation I would have pressed the call bell if I needed anything.

KeaneJohn Sep 3, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by demolineux (Post 31485376)
On a 4.5 hour Club Europe flight recently, there was a period of one hour where the busy air hostess had to go back and work in Economy with their service. That meant for over an hour, the 9 or so Club Europe pax had no drinks service. Personally, I think this is unacceptable considering the cost, however, I do understand that it wasn't the air steward's fault. I am in two minds to complain, but equally, would feel bad if the air hostess got in trouble. Would you complain?

How was the service detrimental to you? I presume you had been fed and watered. Did you press the call bell if you needed anything else?

demolineux Sep 3, 2019 7:39 am

It was a CityFlyer route yes-> to JMK

Often1 Sep 3, 2019 7:39 am

Did the cabin crew not respond when you hit your call button?

Perhaps the problem is that there have not been "stewards" or "hostesses" for over 35 years.

AJA_ Sep 3, 2019 7:40 am

I think the preferred term these days is cabin crew. That said did you use the call button in the overhead panel? If you want something it is perfectly reasonable to do that. If not the crew are not going to know you want something when they're serving the ET cabin.

It is a bit odd not to have anyone in the CE cabin for that long but that in itself wouldn't be a cause for too much complaint.

Did you say anything when they did make an appearance? That really would have been the way to go.

demolineux Sep 3, 2019 7:41 am

Yes, I commented to the cabin crew (sorry) in a nice way, and she responded that they were busy down back

UKtravelbear Sep 3, 2019 7:42 am

The time to have done something about it was whilst you were on board and had use of the call bell not after the fact.

if you want to complain to BA then just do it.

tuonopepper Sep 3, 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 31485387)
In that situation I would have pressed the call bell if I needed anything.

Agree and politely state, I know your busy but when you have a minute could I please get an xzz....

nancypants Sep 3, 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31485395)
Did the cabin crew not respond when you hit your call button?

Perhaps the problem is that there have not been "stewards" or "hostesses" for over 35 years.

that’s gotta cause a hell of a wait for service 😉

corporate-wage-slave Sep 3, 2019 8:07 am

Originally Posted by demolineux (Post 31485401)
Yes, I commented to the cabin crew (sorry) in a nice way, and she responded that they were busy down back

On this flight there can only be 2 cabin crew (stewards went out with The Titanic I feel). That is the norm for every BACF flight. The senior cabin crew works the front to begin with, then joins the other crew member for the Eurotraveller service, where a full meal is served. A good Senior Cabin Crew Member will hint they are about to be tied up and checks CE passengers to get any top-ups (etc) dealt with before moving down. But that's why there is a bell, just press it if you need something, or if it's on the ET trolley go down to collect it. Mykonos is a very successful route for LCY, and the clientele - in both cabins - enjoy the full service offering, probably more than any other route of its sort (Santorini isn't far behind but a rather different clientele!). I bet crew members are totally drained when they get to JMK, but then they have to do do it all over again on their immediate return home.

Usually it's only 3.5 hours to Mykonos, though I agree it sometimes feels longer! It's quite a way.

I don't think it is worth complaining about, it won't change. Unless they drop ET catering that is.........

woosiep Sep 3, 2019 8:15 am

Just done a similar route in City Flyer CE to JSI. It was sort of the opposite. The 2nd crew member had fed and watered and "gashed" in ET so quickly she was able to come and help in CE with a much appreciated drinks run after lunch service. The crew were fantastic. Suzanne the CSM was amazing, cheerful and chatty all the way through and happy to be "present" which usually means they will get asked more but much appreciated. There were only 70 passengers on board so it obviously helps but these City Flyers dont hang about do they...2.56 door to door from London City to Skiathos felt really quick to get somewhere as theoretically far away!

Deltus Sep 3, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by woosiep (Post 31485500)
The 2nd crew member had fed and watered and "gashed" in ET

It's been a few months since I last travelled in ET on an LCY flight, but I don't recall "gashing" as part of the service... What exactly is it?

puqui99 Sep 3, 2019 9:27 am

Slightly off topic, but why are some of you folks so aggressive or sarcastic in your response? Is it really that bad if OP calls the people working on the aircraft the wrong title? I've noticed a growing aggressive nature in the BA threads that is really not necessary. Let's remember that most people using the forums aren't 100% conversant with the correct job titles, industry jargon and acronyms and high complex internal processes that some folks within the forum are aware of. Can't we all be a little bit more tolerant and respectful?