Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One hour period without Air Steward service Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One hour period without Air Steward service Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by puqui99
Slightly off topic, but why are some of you folks so aggressive or sarcastic in your response?
Can't speak for anyone else, but the main reason for my scepticism is that the OP apparently didn't use the call bell or go and ask the cabin crew for whatever it is he wanted. If I'm in any shop or restaurant and want something, I'll ask for it, I don't expect the staff to be mind-readers, or to spend their time sitting around watching a few people who don't need anything, while 90 people need attention somewhere else.

If the OP tried the call bell a couple of times and didn't get any response, that would be more of a reason for complaint, but there's no indication that that's the case here.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
I don't recall "gashing" as part of the service... What exactly is it?
'Gash' is a crew term for rubbish/garbage. To 'gash in' is to go into the cabin and collect rubbish and a 'gash trolley' is the rubbish cart.
I've heard it comes from cobining both the word 'garbage' and 'trash' but not sure how accurate this is.
Deltus and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Can't speak for anyone else, but the main reason for my scepticism is that the OP apparently didn't use the call bell or go and ask the cabin crew for whatever it is he wanted. If I'm in any shop or restaurant and want something, I'll ask for it, I don't expect the staff to be mind-readers, or to spend their time sitting around watching a few people who don't need anything, while 90 people need attention somewhere else.

If the OP tried the call bell a couple of times and didn't get any response, that would be more of a reason for complaint, but there's no indication that that's the case here.
They did say in post 8 that they did speak to the CC who said they were busy down the back

It would have helped if they had said that in their original post as some of the responses would have been different
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
They did say in post 8 that they did speak to the CC who said they were busy down the back

It would have helped if they had said that in their original post as some of the responses would have been different
True, although still not clear if that was a "I wondered where you had gone" comment at the end of the hour, or a "please can I have another G&T?"/"No sorry, I'm busy" exchange. The latter would indeed be unacceptable.
Often1 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by demolineux
Yes, I commented to the cabin crew (sorry) in a nice way, and she responded that they were busy down back
You should have responded "Your sex life whilst enjoyable for you, does not trump my need for a drink in seriously overpriced economy seats."
nancypants and Thysk like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Slightly off topic, but why are some of you folks so aggressive or sarcastic in your response? Is it really that bad if OP calls the people working on the aircraft the wrong title? I've noticed a growing aggressive nature in the BA threads that is really not necessary. Let's remember that most people using the forums aren't 100% conversant with the correct job titles, industry jargon and acronyms and high complex internal processes that some folks within the forum are aware of. Can't we all be a little bit more tolerant and respectful?
I still tend to call them stewards and stewardesses...not on here though.
fripperies likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Geek
You should have responded "Your sex life whilst enjoyable for you, does not trump my need for a drink in seriously overpriced economy seats."
😀 Made my Tuesday!!
boss315 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
True, although still not clear if that was a "I wondered where you had gone" comment at the end of the hour, or a "please can I have another G&T?"/"No sorry, I'm busy" exchange. The latter would indeed be unacceptable.
This is the key.

After the fact questions are irrelevant. The simple question is whether OP hit the call button and was refused.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:42 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I'm still trying to get over my 'Britishness' on the call bell. I think after 30 odd years and many conversations on FT I'm about over it, but I can appreciate that someone who doesn't know the ropes might prefer to wait to attract the attention of a passing crew member rather than press the bell.
You live and learn. That's what FT is for
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Slightly off topic, but why are some of you folks so aggressive or sarcastic in your response? Is it really that bad if OP calls the people working on the aircraft the wrong title? I've noticed a growing aggressive nature in the BA threads that is really not necessary. Let's remember that most people using the forums aren't 100% conversant with the correct job titles, industry jargon and acronyms and high complex internal processes that some folks within the forum are aware of. Can't we all be a little bit more tolerant and respectful?
I don't think anyone was aggressive or sarcastic in their responses to the original poster for describing the crew as something other than cabin crew.. If my response was perceived that way I apologise.

I do however think that it is helpful to gently correct out-dated terms that may come across in the wrong way.

If we don't advise and try to correct then people will go on using less than tactful terms in blissful ignorance unaware that they may be saying the wrong thing.

There was another thread where someone was quite rightly corrected having described the BA crew in less than flattering terms and compared them.to another airline's apparently more attractive crew which did not go down well as that really isn't a characteristic that affects one's ability to do.the job.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by MFCC
'Gash' is a crew term for rubbish/garbage. To 'gash in' is to go into the cabin and collect rubbish and a 'gash trolley' is the rubbish cart.
I've heard it comes from cobining both the word 'garbage' and 'trash' but not sure how accurate this is.
Like many terms in aviation it was originally a naval term. And also like many terms in aviation it provides for endless innuendo and double entendre (“Have you got a gash up the front?”). My inner teenager delights in reminding people not to leave their (vent) flaps open overnight!
ENTP, nancypants and MFCC like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:19 pm

JMK loads are capped at 72 so with 9 in Club that means a maximum of 63 in Euro Traveller. With that many in ET it’s easily possible for one crew member to complete the first drinks service and distribute meals in the space of an hour, and clear in too. For the CSM to be gone for an hour after completing the initial Club Europe cabin I can only imagine they were working with a very inexperienced main crew, or there was some kind of incident (service recovery, medical, spillage, vomit etc).
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:23 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Absolutely. I do agree with the sentiment in general. In this particular instance I think - and I may be wrong here - that this mode of address I have never seen here on Flyertalk in the 20 years that I have been here. Myself, I couldn't care less as I was BCAL Stewardess and went on to be BA Cabin Crew but that is by the by. I do not think that anyone cared except that the idea that someone would complain because the crew was working in the other cabin was rather off. If she had been sitting up the front catching up on Hello or playing Candy Crush there would be justification. I really do not understand why people fear using the call button - and is no one responds going and asking for whatever they want.

Maybe I am alone, but I do wonder what people can find to complain about next. No wonder Customer Relations are overwhelmed.
Dan72, flygirl68, Blenheim and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I'm still trying to get over my 'Britishness' on the call bell. I think after 30 odd years and many conversations on FT I'm about over it, but I can appreciate that someone who doesn't know the ropes might prefer to wait to attract the attention of a passing crew member rather than press the bell.
You live and learn. That's what FT is for
I am also reluctant to use the call bell. Even in Club or F. It somehow seems rude or lazy-almost like raising your hand in a restaurant and shouting waiter (I know cabin crew are NOT waiters). I usually get up and go to the galley if there are no passing crew. Maybe I need to get over this.

The other point is do BA crew really respond to the call bell. I have observed other passengers repeated attempts go completely ignored (admittedly in Y) but if this is not uncommon then how would the crew know when hearing the bell that it is coming from a C passenger if they are busy with a trolley service down the back and there is a curtain between the two cabins.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by simon stingray
I am also reluctant to use the call bell. Even in Club or F. It somehow seems rude or lazy-almost like raising your hand in a restaurant and shouting waiter (I know cabin crew are NOT waiters). I usually get up and go to the galley if there are no passing crew. Maybe I need to get over this.

The other point is do BA crew really respond to the call bell. I have observed other passengers repeated attempts go completely ignored (admittedly in Y) but if this is not uncommon then how would the crew know when hearing the bell that it is coming from a C passenger if they are busy with a trolley service down the back and there is a curtain between the two cabins.
On the Embraer there are blue lights on the ceiling corresponding to bays of seats, so it’s easy to tell at a glance roughly where in the cabin a call bell has been used. Crew then need to stoop to find exactly which button has been pressed!
DeathSlam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.