T3 Access with T5 boarding pass

Old Jan 26, 20, 5:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Marriott GFL/Plat, xVS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Hilton Ag, Priority Club Au
I can sort of see both points of view. Some lounges are little more than basic waiting rooms and I entirely see what you wouldn’t want to spend lots of time there.

Those in T3 (I’m thinking CX and QF) offer much more. I can refresh with a nice shower, have a meal, enjoy the view in a comfy chair in a relaxing environment with drinks or two or chat to the barman and even have the space to do some work if I wish!
Old Jan 26, 20, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD View Post
what are you really wanting to tell us? That’s it’s stupid to do this, that we are wrong to want to do this? By your logic why ever try a different restaurant, food is food, no? A different class of service or airline, a seat is a seat right? Even a different park bench that might require a walk up hill for another view is still a park bench... Some people with hours on their hands in between flights might not fancy the pretty poor state of affairs that is the BA waiting rooms- aside from the CCR - at T5
that is a rather simplistic and questionable comparison. In real life you’ll pick different restaurants but trade off time the time and hassle to get there vs. the dinner experience.

this is the same. Frankly, the stress and time involved in Terminal hops far offsets the chance of some finer tasting pretzels in a lounge with different coloured seats.

If the ‘experience’ really matters then value your time. It’s the most finite thing we all have and better spent than in Heathrow security screening, transfer buses, or trying to get your boarding pass revalidated for conformance.

So sure, if you are a lounge spotter and this will change your life, do it. (But beware the risk CX might have reached capacity and turn you away). If not, there are so many better nicer things to do than security screening and buses.
Old Jan 26, 20, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
It still perplexes me that a waiting room is different enough from another one to involve this much hassle, time and stress.
Not trying to pile on here, however...

We sat in the T3 CX F lounge for quite some time and then made our way to the T5 BA F lounge. There really is a substantial difference (CX>>BA). Given that we have an 8+ hour connection, and that we have to transfer terminals in any case, the CX option is very nice to have. I'm happy to spend an extra 5 minutes dealing with security to get several hours in a far superior "waiting room".
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post

We sat in the T3 CX F lounge for quite some time and then made our way to the T5 BA F lounge. There really is a substantial difference (CX>>BA). Given that we have an 8+ hour connection, and that we have to transfer terminals in any case, the CX option is very nice to have.
if you are in T3 anyway then that works - but if you’re weren’t then it would be a shame to lose so much time in buses and security!
Old Jan 26, 20, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post

We sat in the T3 CX F lounge for quite some time and then made our way to the T5 BA F lounge. There really is a substantial difference (CX>>BA). Given that we have an 8+ hour connection, and that we have to transfer terminals in any case, the CX option is very nice to have. I'm happy to spend an extra 5 minutes dealing with security to get several hours in a far superior "waiting room".
I also have never had to spend more than 40 minutes each way on this transfer which also allows some walking and change of scenery which I like. Funny to me how some make this “journey” seem like such a fuss or major life stressor.
Old Jan 26, 20, 8:01 am
Suspended

that is a rather simplistic and questionable comparison. In real life you’ll pick different restaurants but trade off time the time and hassle to get there vs. the dinner experience.

this is the same. Frankly, the stress and time involved in Terminal hops far offsets the chance of some finer tasting pretzels in a lounge with different coloured seats.

If the ‘experience’ really matters then value your time. It’s the most finite thing we all have and better spent than in Heathrow security screening, transfer buses, or trying to get your boarding pass revalidated for conformance.

So sure, if you are a lounge spotter and this will change your life, do it. (But beware the risk CX might have reached capacity and turn you away). If not, there are so many better nicer things to do than security screening and buses.
Yes you hit the nail on the head 😂- I am sure most people head specifically to the Qantas and Cathay lounges for the pretzels vs actually some varied options, quieter spaces and really nice non National Health Services showers!
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD View Post
Yes you hit the nail on the head 😂- I am sure most people head specifically to the Qantas and Cathay lounges for the pretzels vs actually some varied options, quieter spaces and really nice non National Health Services showers!
good luck with showers at peak time at T3.
Old Jan 26, 20, 6:07 pm
Suspended

good luck with showers at peak time at T3.
Why would I need luck with three different lounges that have very nice showers? Even at the CX lounge when flying to HKG I have not had issues vs the challenge I have had getting showers in T5 outside of have a cabana already reserved in CCR (which sadly still is NHS style).
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold
I arrive long haul to T3 connecting to a T5 departure. I am BA Gold arriving F on BA and leaving in Y on BA. I’d like to check out the T3 Cathay and Qantas lounges in T3, using my OW Emerald card. Thanks to the posts above by and in response to PHLGovFlyer, I know how to get to the T3 lounges from T3 arrivals. Thanks all! My connecting flight from T5 is to EDI. Since this is a domestic UK flight I believe I need to clear immigration on arrival at Heathrow. Does that mean I can not or should not use the expedited route applicable for PHLGovFlyer, but instead need to exit T3 immigration and then get to the T3 lounges via T3 Departures? Also, can I expect to get thru from T3 Departures to T3 airside and the lounges with my T3 arrival or my T5 departure boarding passes?
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The domestic connection doesn't matter in this context, while in T3 you remain outside the UK Border. You can either clear the UK Border when you finally get to T5 via the airside bus, and then through the First Wing (which is best if you can use the e-passport gates0; or use the UK + Ireland Flight Connection route at T5 instead; or exit T3 landside, use HEX and then re-enter via the First Wing in T5. Welcome to the BA forum.
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:47 am

Should have mentioned: I’m a US citizen and resident (not UK) and am arriving from a non-Schengen country.
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
you can use the "expedited route". you have at least 3 options

1. immigration at t3 and transit landside, then up to First Wing (or fast track if you prefer) to have your photo taken and clear security

2. transit airside, clear immigration in t5 and then up to First Wing (or fast track if you prefer) to have your photo taken and clear security

3. transit airside, following the signs to flight connections in T5 and then go through the transiting to a domestic flight where you will clear immigration and have your photo taken and then clear security at transit "fast track" ( there are many threads that discuss if this is really fast track or not so lets not go there)
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:49 am

Thanks c-w-s! Saw your reply after my second post.
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by tswilson View Post
Should have mentioned: I’m a US citizen and resident (not UK) and am arriving from a non-Schengen country.
this does not change the options cws and I have mentioned
Old Feb 19, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Seat loss

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
You can't just leave T5 and enter T3 like that, a T5 boarding pass won't get entry to T3 via landside. You have to use the transits to T5C, come back to T5A, go airside to T3, clear security, return via airside transfar, renegotiate your Ready to Fly Status, hope you keep your seats in the process and then reclear security. Mostly you would be mad to do this, when there are many easier options open to you.
I left T5 once when we were advised of a three-hour delay – so I could go and speak to a colleague who was at terminal four working – only to discover that, when I came back, indeed I had lost my seat as the system (and therefore the behind-the-scenes staff) thought I had changed my mind and did not want to fly. It was all a bit of a nightmare and not something I would ever contemplate again.

Search this Thread