Search

Disappointing First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Disappointing First

Saturday night flight from West Coast in F was rather underwhelming…. Two pax in 1A and 1K:

Boarded to find wardrobe full of bedding. Cabin filled quickly and row one and two had nowhere to store luggage. Cabin crew eventually removed but were reluctant to do so.
Waited nearly half hour for offer of drink. Champagne served, not cold, not LPGS. Not unusual on ground.
Food orders taken from row five to one – asked for Balik Salmon – was told there was none left, there and then. Don’t believe two golds were the lowest in the cabin.
Ordered chicken with the side of potatoes and veggies. Sides didn’t come in a separate bowl, put on the main plate. Only one small potato.
Asked for Chablis, told was unavailable and offered Chardonnay. Accepted that instead – was served very warm – had to have ice.
No offer of water at any time from take off to end of meal.
Bed made up quickly and fell asleep OK – woke up to a boiling cabin.
Breakfast - I asked for only toast, coffee and pastries.
Three halves of toast served. No pastries offered.
Coffee served – no tea spoon – used folk handle.
No napkin given. Crumby!
Glass remained on my side until just before landing from previous evening.

All the issues are tiny individually, but as a whole the entire service felt far under average and not as polished as my outbound in Club World. Am I being a jetlagged-moaner?!

Last edited by mikeyfly; Sep 2, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
It does seem BA is very consistent in the specific things that make F service disappointing. Any reason why they can be consistent in this yet not in everything else? (Cabin temp, hot wine, messing up dinner preferences and order, no pro-active drinks offering, ...)
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
... All the issues are tiny individually, but as a whole the entire service felt far under average and not as polished as my outbound in Club World. Am I being a jetlagged-moaner?!
Sounds like a very subpar crew, I wouldn't be best pleased either with that level of service. When you suffer that level of service you are entitled to a right old moan! Did you raise any of the concerns with the CSM?
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I have only travelled in First once and that was very nice, but it does seem as though there are a very large number of reports about BA's mediocre F service. Is it time for BA to get rid of the cabin and focus on delivering a really good CW product? The OP's complaints seem quite legitimate to me.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Sounds like a very subpar crew, I wouldn't be best pleased either with that level of service. When you suffer that level of service you are entitled to a right old moan! Did you raise any of the concerns with the CSM?
The CSM was one of the three on F!! And responsible for some of the service failings. A peculiar set up as there were two CSMs on the flight (I assume the other was leading CW)
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:34 am

Be sure to complain to BA through the online form, they should at least give you a few avios and the more people who complain about poor service, the more they might be tempted to do something about it (or not, this is BA we're talking about)
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The CSM was one of the three on F!! And responsible for some of the service failings. A peculiar set up as there were two CSMs on the flight (I assume the other was leading CW)

I think a little note to BA alerting them of the service failings is in order. I had a lacklustre crew outbound (funnily enough provided by a CSM called in from standby) on (I suspect) the same route as you a few weeks ago. The service failings weren't as poor as those you experienced, but the crew were certainly not on the ball that day.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:40 am

Which part of the world did the chardonnay come from?
Skipcool3 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muscat
Which part of the world did the chardonnay come from?
California I believe?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The one serving CW would have been the SCCM onboard so definitely the one to talk to.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:17 am

Longtime lurker, but I had to register to comment that this is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read.

Asked for Chablis, told was unavailable and offered Chardonnay. Accepted that
Sorry about the blunt intro. Is there a place to properly introduce myself?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amsterflyer
Longtime lurker, but I had to register to comment that this is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read.

Haha ! Welcome to FT Amsterflyer !

I am aware of the shared ingredient …..
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:22 am

Disappointing to miss out on your meal choice and with the wardrobe stuffed full of bedding like that you can't even get access to the Turkish Delight
WSTC and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As OP says, a whole host of ‘tiny issues’, but which - when taken together, and on one flight - make for a very poor experience.

A good number of the failings would be most unwelcome in a respectable business class cabin ..... let alone in First.

One small potato” served as a side dish No offer of water throughout the service ??
I wonder will these sort of things feature in the catering section of the upcoming ‘Access All Areas’ documentary later this week. We’re promised a realistic, warts and all, no-holds barred look at the world of BA, so should be interesting.

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I have only travelled in First once and that was very nice, but it does seem as though there are a very large number of reports about BA's mediocre F service. Is it time for BA to get rid of the cabin and focus on delivering a really good CW product? The OP's complaints seem quite legitimate to me.
Perhaps there is something in what you say - although personally I would prefer that both cabins be kept, albeit with fewer seats, overall, in F than at present. It should be perfectly possible to provide appropriately high standards in both J and F. Several airlines do, but it requires management focus, suitable training (perhaps the most important element), and of course implementation by a motivated crew who can pay attention to detail.

On your point re the ‘very large number of reports’ .... maybe time to combine into a sticky ... ? (BA inconsistency or such title).
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Amsterflyer
You have already found the place. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here, Amsterflyer. May your Chablis be forever plentiful and chilled.
so3003, cubedweller and YacozA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.