TLV Airport and Hand Baggage only

Old Aug 31, 19, 5:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Milton Keynes
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 194
TLV Airport and Hand Baggage only

I知 off to TLV (from LHR) in a week and will be travelling hand baggage only, CW. BA167 arriving TLV 2350, Returning BA166 Departing 0715.

As I値l be hand baggage only, do I still need to go through the security screening Q before the check in desks, or can I just proceed straight to the regular security scanners?

travelling in CW, can I use the fast track security?

Last edited by NeilP; Aug 31, 19 at 5:30 am Reason: Spelling mistake
NeilP is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:56 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster auto-topup.
Posts: 598
Everyone goes through screening, regardless of what they are doing with luggage. You need to get that barcode on your passport which shows you've been screened.

When I last travelled from TLV in Club I was directed to a shorter queue at the 'triage' point at the start of larger snaking queue. I'm not sure if this is a consistent policy and signage is very ambiguous at that BA end [area A?] of T2. As I travelled in WTP last month I wasn't able to determine if there was a different queue. In any event, the main queue moved quicker than I thought. And if you are running late I saw people negotiating with the helpful airport staff at triage point to go speed through. Which was a surprise for perceived TLV gruffness!
NoTiersForMe is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:00 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 699
You can use the fast track security queue at TLV as you have a business class ticket. Status holders traveling in y or w have to use the regular queue.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
ppp909 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:13 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,814
Originally Posted by ppp909 View Post
You can use the fast track security queue at TLV as you have a business class ticket. Status holders traveling in y or w have to use the regular queue.
Not always the case.

I've been directed through normal security on a J ticket.
teledude is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:29 am
  #5  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,246
However there is a special security checkpoint for HBO travellers, which I think is on the right side of the main entry area (and signposted), which gets you the sticker you need to proceed through security, after answering a few security questions.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by teledude View Post
Not always the case.

I've been directed through normal security on a J ticket.
My guess is you probably we're selected for extra screening, you lucky thing.
I hate that airport and unfortunately I'll be there next week. Still, it could be Luton.
u01sss3 likes this.
ppp909 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:26 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: somewhere north of stateside...
Posts: 3,658
TLV has a screening line for HBO customers located in the centre of the terminal, between check-in zones B and C. To use it, in my experience you require an electronic boarding pass (not a paper one), although YMMV. This line generally moves quickly.

Go here first when you arrive at the terminal. Once you complete the security interview walk straight ahead towards security screening and then turn right. The priority security line is the last lane available, past the wheelchair line. If the regular lines look fast, you might find they値l save some time as the priority line can sometimes be backed up.

Once you clear security, if you have a biometric passport you can take care of exit immigration using a kiosk on the side of the immigration hall. I致e never waited more than 30 seconds for a kiosk.
makin'miles is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:43 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, USA
Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Posts: 451
BA won't issue electronic boarding passes for TLV, I'm afraid.
DominicB is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:27 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Posts: 2,256
Originally Posted by DominicB View Post
BA won't issue electronic boarding passes for TLV, I'm afraid.
That痴 not my experience. I definitely used a mobile BP on a TLV-LHR flight earlier this year.

My departure security and exit immigration process (travelling HBO) was exactly as posted above by. makin知iles. I guess it could vary depending on which category you are placed in for security during the first set of questions.
ppp909, orbitmic and davidcamp6 like this.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Aug 31, 19 at 10:32 am
Oaxaca is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:38 pm
  #10  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,246
Yes TLV does app boarding passes for certain. I distinctly remember the last occasion since security spotted my involuntary upgrade to First before I did.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,269
I've used a paper boarding card in the hand baggage only entrance.
Perhaps it just depends on the day.

It's very fast, very simple. You'll see it there on the right side of the checkpoint entrance.

It doesn't matter if you have been "selected" for any additional screening. You can still use that entrance.
orbitmic and makin'miles like this.
Mats is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:49 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 72
You can check in online. Head to the BA area on the left hand side of the terminal area, show your passport to the agent manning the queue entrance and loudly state 澱usiness class - they should direct you to line 5. Allow up to 15min for the security interview. You will then get a sticker on the back of your passport. If it starts with 5 or 4o, this means you値l need to go through a swabathon. When approaching security, you can try the business line on the right hand - there is a 75% probability that you will be turned down and sent to whatever line is dealing with enhanced security. If so, make sure to shout that you池e a business class passenger. From here on, it痴 completely arbitrary - you may get fast tracked or ignored. If your flight isn稚 departing within 90min, you may be placed at the very end of the queue and end up waiting for 60min. Key is to be aware of what痴 happening around you - is the security staff calling out your destination? Make yourself known and repeat that you池e in business - you値l be fast tracked. Are other passengers being placed ahead of you in the queue - aggressively approach every new security member you see and shout that you池e in business. It takes one of them to be willing to help and you can save an hour in that queue. Basically, be vigilant. If you are interviewed a second time, don稚 be alarmed - chances are you値l be fast tracked in conclusion.

I知 a frequent visitor to TLV on BA and have never missed my flight due to the security detail but there痴 plenty of potential for unpleasant waiting in a queue full of frustrated passengers.

Keep in mind that you値l receive very contradictory feedback on this topic - your profile determines your security category and many here will have never experienced 5 or 4o. Let alone 6. The exact criteria are obviously kept secret for good reasons but single Western travellers up to the age of about 45 are almost guaranteed to be rated high risk. If you池e older or travelling with your partner, with whom you cohabit, then security will be straightforward.
nancypants, ppp909 and Calchas like this.
dubistokay is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by dubistokay View Post
You can check in online. Head to the BA area on the left hand side of the terminal area, show your passport to the agent manning the queue entrance and loudly state 澱usiness class - they should direct you to line 5. Allow up to 15min for the security interview. You will then get a sticker on the back of your passport. If it starts with 5 or 4o, this means you値l need to go through a swabathon. When approaching security, you can try the business line on the right hand - there is a 75% probability that you will be turned down and sent to whatever line is dealing with enhanced security. If so, make sure to shout that you池e a business class passenger. From here on, it痴 completely arbitrary - you may get fast tracked or ignored. If your flight isn稚 departing within 90min, you may be placed at the very end of the queue and end up waiting for 60min. Key is to be aware of what痴 happening around you - is the security staff calling out your destination? Make yourself known and repeat that you池e in business - you値l be fast tracked. Are other passengers being placed ahead of you in the queue - aggressively approach every new security member you see and shout that you池e in business. It takes one of them to be willing to help and you can save an hour in that queue. Basically, be vigilant. If you are interviewed a second time, don稚 be alarmed - chances are you値l be fast tracked in conclusion.

I知 a frequent visitor to TLV on BA and have never missed my flight due to the security detail but there痴 plenty of potential for unpleasant waiting in a queue full of frustrated passengers.

Keep in mind that you値l receive very contradictory feedback on this topic - your profile determines your security category and many here will have never experienced 5 or 4o. Let alone 6. The exact criteria are obviously kept secret for good reasons but single Western travellers up to the age of about 45 are almost guaranteed to be rated high risk. If you池e older or travelling with your partner, with whom you cohabit, then security will be straightforward.
I wish I'd known this before. I was queued for a long time travelling in F.
u01sss3 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:24 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,020
Originally Posted by dubistokay View Post

Keep in mind that you値l receive very contradictory feedback on this topic
You will indeed: for instance I壇 personally consider that your advice above about shouting-aggressive-repeating you are in business class is possibly the worst advice one could give, not least because aggressive behaviour and perceived attempt to avoid/shorten security are precisely risk signs that increase your chances of getting a 5/6 and further lengthen your interview if you have.

In particular, being in J or F does not entitle you to any shorter control, just to fast track to the initial security check, and Israeli society is typically not big on class privileges.

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 1, 19 at 12:31 am
orbitmic is offline  
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:30 am
  #15  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,246
I must admit I also struggled to fit that post to my experiences at TLV. As an HBO passenger I arrive around 75 minutes to departure (the prospect of which has admittedly freaked out my taxi drivers) and haven't found it much more difficult to get through TLV compared to any other airport of its size. I certainly don't need to resort to shouting or special pleading - a polite smile and a few "boker tov, ma shlom-chem" and I'm usually on my way.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: