FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   TLV Airport and Hand Baggage only (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1985313-tlv-airport-hand-baggage-only.html)

NeilP Aug 31, 2019 4:29 am

TLV Airport and Hand Baggage only

I’m off to TLV (from LHR) in a week and will be travelling hand baggage only, CW. BA167 arriving TLV 2350, Returning BA166 Departing 0715.

As I’ll be hand baggage only, do I still need to go through the security screening Q before the check in desks, or can I just proceed straight to the regular security scanners?

travelling in CW, can I use the fast track security?

NoTiersForMe Aug 31, 2019 4:56 am

Everyone goes through screening, regardless of what they are doing with luggage. You need to get that barcode on your passport which shows you've been screened.

When I last travelled from TLV in Club I was directed to a shorter queue at the 'triage' point at the start of larger snaking queue. I'm not sure if this is a consistent policy and signage is very ambiguous at that BA end [area A?] of T2. As I travelled in WTP last month I wasn't able to determine if there was a different queue. In any event, the main queue moved quicker than I thought. And if you are running late I saw people negotiating with the helpful airport staff at triage point to go speed through. Which was a surprise for perceived TLV gruffness!

ppp909 Aug 31, 2019 6:00 am

You can use the fast track security queue at TLV as you have a business class ticket. Status holders traveling in y or w have to use the regular queue.

teledude Aug 31, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ppp909 (Post 31476247)
You can use the fast track security queue at TLV as you have a business class ticket. Status holders traveling in y or w have to use the regular queue.

Not always the case.

I've been directed through normal security on a J ticket.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 31, 2019 6:29 am

However there is a special security checkpoint for HBO travellers, which I think is on the right side of the main entry area (and signposted), which gets you the sticker you need to proceed through security, after answering a few security questions.

ppp909 Aug 31, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by teledude (Post 31476276)
Not always the case.

I've been directed through normal security on a J ticket.

My guess is you probably we're selected for extra screening, you lucky thing.
I hate that airport and unfortunately I'll be there next week. Still, it could be Luton.

makin'miles Aug 31, 2019 8:26 am

TLV has a screening line for HBO customers located in the centre of the terminal, between check-in zones B and C. To use it, in my experience you require an electronic boarding pass (not a paper one), although YMMV. This line generally moves quickly.

Go here first when you arrive at the terminal. Once you complete the security interview walk straight ahead towards security screening and then turn right. The priority security line is the last lane available, past the wheelchair line. If the regular lines look fast, you might find they’ll save some time as the priority line can sometimes be backed up.

Once you clear security, if you have a biometric passport you can take care of exit immigration using a kiosk on the side of the immigration hall. I’ve never waited more than 30 seconds for a kiosk.

DominicB Aug 31, 2019 8:43 am

BA won't issue electronic boarding passes for TLV, I'm afraid.

Oaxaca Aug 31, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DominicB (Post 31476630)
BA won't issue electronic boarding passes for TLV, I'm afraid.

That’s not my experience. I definitely used a mobile BP on a TLV-LHR flight earlier this year.

My departure security and exit immigration process (travelling HBO) was exactly as posted above by. makin’miles. I guess it could vary depending on which category you are placed in for security during the first set of questions.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes TLV does app boarding passes for certain. I distinctly remember the last occasion since security spotted my involuntary upgrade to First before I did.

Mats Aug 31, 2019 1:17 pm

I've used a paper boarding card in the hand baggage only entrance.
Perhaps it just depends on the day.

It's very fast, very simple. You'll see it there on the right side of the checkpoint entrance.

It doesn't matter if you have been "selected" for any additional screening. You can still use that entrance.

dubistokay Aug 31, 2019 4:49 pm

You can check in online. Head to the BA area on the left hand side of the terminal area, show your passport to the agent manning the queue entrance and loudly state “business class” - they should direct you to line 5. Allow up to 15min for the security interview. You will then get a sticker on the back of your passport. If it starts with 5 or 4o, this means you’ll need to go through a swabathon. When approaching security, you can try the business line on the right hand - there is a 75% probability that you will be turned down and sent to whatever line is dealing with enhanced security. If so, make sure to shout that you’re a business class passenger. From here on, it’s completely arbitrary - you may get fast tracked or ignored. If your flight isn’t departing within 90min, you may be placed at the very end of the queue and end up waiting for 60min. Key is to be aware of what’s happening around you - is the security staff calling out your destination? Make yourself known and repeat that you’re in business - you’ll be fast tracked. Are other passengers being placed ahead of you in the queue - aggressively approach every new security member you see and shout that you’re in business. It takes one of them to be willing to help and you can save an hour in that queue. Basically, be vigilant. If you are interviewed a second time, don’t be alarmed - chances are you’ll be fast tracked in conclusion.

I’m a frequent visitor to TLV on BA and have never missed my flight due to the security detail but there’s plenty of potential for unpleasant waiting in a queue full of frustrated passengers.

Keep in mind that you’ll receive very contradictory feedback on this topic - your profile determines your security category and many here will have never experienced 5 or 4o. Let alone 6. The exact criteria are obviously kept secret for good reasons but single Western travellers up to the age of about 45 are almost guaranteed to be rated high risk. If you’re older or travelling with your partner, with whom you cohabit, then security will be straightforward.

u01sss3 Aug 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by dubistokay (Post 31477747)
You can check in online. Head to the BA area on the left hand side of the terminal area, show your passport to the agent manning the queue entrance and loudly state “business class” - they should direct you to line 5. Allow up to 15min for the security interview. You will then get a sticker on the back of your passport. If it starts with 5 or 4o, this means you’ll need to go through a swabathon. When approaching security, you can try the business line on the right hand - there is a 75% probability that you will be turned down and sent to whatever line is dealing with enhanced security. If so, make sure to shout that you’re a business class passenger. From here on, it’s completely arbitrary - you may get fast tracked or ignored. If your flight isn’t departing within 90min, you may be placed at the very end of the queue and end up waiting for 60min. Key is to be aware of what’s happening around you - is the security staff calling out your destination? Make yourself known and repeat that you’re in business - you’ll be fast tracked. Are other passengers being placed ahead of you in the queue - aggressively approach every new security member you see and shout that you’re in business. It takes one of them to be willing to help and you can save an hour in that queue. Basically, be vigilant. If you are interviewed a second time, don’t be alarmed - chances are you’ll be fast tracked in conclusion.

I’m a frequent visitor to TLV on BA and have never missed my flight due to the security detail but there’s plenty of potential for unpleasant waiting in a queue full of frustrated passengers.

Keep in mind that you’ll receive very contradictory feedback on this topic - your profile determines your security category and many here will have never experienced 5 or 4o. Let alone 6. The exact criteria are obviously kept secret for good reasons but single Western travellers up to the age of about 45 are almost guaranteed to be rated high risk. If you’re older or travelling with your partner, with whom you cohabit, then security will be straightforward.

I wish I'd known this before. I was queued for a long time travelling in F.

orbitmic Aug 31, 2019 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by dubistokay (Post 31477747)

Keep in mind that you’ll receive very contradictory feedback on this topic

You will indeed: for instance I’d personally consider that your advice above about shouting-aggressive-repeating you are in business class is possibly the worst advice one could give, not least because aggressive behaviour and perceived attempt to avoid/shorten security are precisely risk signs that increase your chances of getting a 5/6 and further lengthen your interview if you have.

In particular, being in J or F does not entitle you to any shorter control, just to fast track to the initial security check, and Israeli society is typically not big on class privileges.

corporate-wage-slave Sep 1, 2019 1:30 am

I must admit I also struggled to fit that post to my experiences at TLV. As an HBO passenger I arrive around 75 minutes to departure (the prospect of which has admittedly freaked out my taxi drivers) and haven't found it much more difficult to get through TLV compared to any other airport of its size. I certainly don't need to resort to shouting or special pleading - a polite smile and a few "boker tov, ma shlom-chem" and I'm usually on my way.