How do you tell if a BA fare is a deal?

Old Aug 31, 19, 2:26 am
Original Poster

How do you tell if a BA fare is a deal?

Obviously BA will be overly keen to say they have a Sale or Deal etc, however often these aren’t that brilliant, and comparable
or cheaper prices can be found outside this sale period.

How do you gauge whether a price is a good deal or not?

I have found LHR-EZE (Buenos Aires), BA, Economy Direct during April “School Holidays” dates, return for £500. HBO.

Do I pull the trigger, or wait?
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Hertz 5*
Sounds alright, if you want to go to EZE anyway.

How do you decide whether to buy anything else in life? Martin Lewis suggests asking yourself "Will you use it?" And "Is it worth it?"...
Old Aug 31, 19, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by watsonville View Post
Obviously BA will be overly keen to say they have a Sale or Deal etc, however often these aren’t that brilliant, and comparable
or cheaper prices can be found outside this sale period.

How do you gauge whether a price is a good deal or not?

I have found LHR-EZE (Buenos Aires), BA, Economy Direct during April “School Holidays” dates, return for £500. HBO.

Do I pull the trigger, or wait?
I do this by monitoring fares over a period of time. I'm sure others would have a different way of gauging competitive prices.

And yes, there are fares during a sale which are cheaper pre and post sale.

I can't advise on your LHR-EZE fare as I don't know what a competitive price to this destination is. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come by soon to help.
MiraculousM and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 3:10 am

£500 is pretty good for direct to EZE. You’re unlikely to find it much cheaper.
Old Aug 31, 19, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
£488 is the very cheapest return fare, from LHR. You may get it a bit cheaper from somewhere else in Europe.

Also consider using your Iberia Avios for the Level flights, particularly in premium economy.
Old Aug 31, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Google Flights can be a good indicator. It is a quick way of comparing what a range of airlines charge, and it indicates whether fares in general for that day are high or low in terms of what is typically charged for the route. By "a deal" I suppose it depends what you mean: are there better deals (1) on other airlines on the same date, (2) on other dates, or (3) to other destinations?
Old Aug 31, 19, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Google flights will tell you how the fare compares to "normal", so that's a guide, otherwise it's really a matter of personal judgement.

Personally, I would also look at an avios redemption on IB from Madrid. If you have the avios, the availability is usually OK and the fees are relatively low even for J. It will be quite expensive though to get to Madrid in a school holiday, so may be swings and roundaboouts.
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
I had to visit Buenos Aires a couple of times this year. Twice with Lufthansa from Manchester via FRA and once with through LHR on BA. In each case the fare was around £780, the difference was that BA was in economy, Lufthansa in premium-economy.

So I reckon £500 is as good as it will get with BA from London.

But, as always, If you feel comfortable with the price, take it: and avoid checking fare movements over the intervening weeks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: