Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Assistance with trying to target new 777-2 to NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club

Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help me decipher and understand if we might manage to get on a club suite on a future trip to NYC.

We are planning to fly on a Thursday and return on a Monday to NYC (JFK or Newark fine) in early April next year, having done some google-fu I can see there is an expectation that the newly suited 777-2s will be on that route by then in the majority. A thread on here (attached) shows this list.

My question:

1. Can someone sort of translate this into meaning for me? Does it mean nearly all the route is *intended* to be served by 777-2s for all of these flight numbers by the end of Feb/March next year? On our dates the original flight numbers for the CS (174 and 177) are showing normal seat configs for the current 777 model.

2. The seating plans aren’t coming up as the new CS, but I assume this would be too early anyway?

We are taking a punt and don’t mind if it isn’t the CS but we would like to try it if we are going and be in with a chance. Our current methodology is to try and decipher the attached image and just book on any flights that have a good shot. Any help much appreciated or recommendations

thanks
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
I personally would suggest you are too far out to try to nab a CS. (There’s a thread for this by the way )

On that route why not go for a 747 UD, hopefully refurbished. As someone kindly pointed out recently that the 747 UD only has less than 4 years left! The CS is going to be here for...god knows how long.

No aircraft is ever guaranteed so pick based on timings and cost within your budget. If this is your only chance to fly Club (business) and you’re desperate to get the Suites, this is going to be tricky to guess, even with all the great knowledge on here.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it's going to be too early to say anything definitive at the moment. With precisely one aircraft with the new seating, and a second still under testing, there really isn't going to be much confidence about things so far away. As a very general point, those trying to try the CS are operating on 6 week time frames or less. That won't continue indefinitely, but if anyone is able to say that X is going to happen in April next year, I think I would challenge the plausibility at this stage.

At some point CS will be all over the fleet, and these questions will come thick and fast. But for now it's pure crystal ball gazing.
rockflyertalk and argonath like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
There too much operational switching of the 772 fleet to even consider this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
And so it begins...I'm not sure I can put up with years and years of this on FT.
tynmar likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by Airprox
And so it begins...I'm not sure I can put up with years and years of this on FT.
Apologies if my question offends you but please don’t be rude as if I’m not reading this. I asked a question that, in my opinion, was quite fair. I don’t think there is a need to act as if I am asking some benign or asinine question just because I don’t frequent the flying world as much as others (to whom I give respect in the hope they may afford me some help if I politely ask for it).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Cineworld Unlimited
what would you guys say is the best return service from NYC to LDN in terms of comfortability and convenience?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let's point to this thread, which is probably the best placed to keep track of CS related developments:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...my-flight.html
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by TMHimself
what would you guys say is the best return service from NYC to LDN in terms of comfortability and convenience?
Depends on which cabin and whether you have lounge access really.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Malli1

Apologies if my question offends you but please don’t be rude as if I’m not reading this. I asked a question that, in my opinion, was quite fair. I don’t think there is a need to act as if I am asking some benign or asinine question just because I don’t frequent the flying world as much as others (to whom I give respect in the hope they may afford me some help if I politely ask for it).
Here's a hint Airprox just scroll by or don't bother reading if it annoys you that much. At least this has more relevance than some of the threads on here..
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Cineworld Unlimited
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends on which cabin and whether you have lounge access really.
CW, silver status
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't even know which airlines fly from New York City to Lamidanda, Nepal...
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:08 am

CW, silver status
​​​​​​In which case you have many options, but I would consider:

1) the A318 service to LCY, that's a good proxy for First travel, and gives you a fast arrival at City airport.

2) A 787 service out of EWR, a good lounge setup there and a less febrile airport experience.

3) Particularly if travelling as a couple, Upper Deck Super J on the Queen.

Just swerve around 4 class 777 options.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also some prefer the daytime flights from JFK back to LHR as it reduces jet lag ( have not tried it myself)
Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.