Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]

Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]

Old Aug 30, 19, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Interesting, almost completely polarised, views depending on if you normally reside east or west of the Atlantic. There are similar discussions often on the Hilton board, usually related to tipping with a free breakfast.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On the Chocolate angle, I would find it strange to present chocolates to a strange crew without any knowledge of how they would perform ... and thus deserve a chocolate gift.

However, in the US we regularly took a tub of chocolates (as shown in Post #13 ) for our regular hotel's Reception and our regular neghbo[u]rhood Bar ... as the staff at both locations were virtually friends, and we knew they deserved a treat.
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer View Post
Interesting, almost completely polarised, views depending on if you normally reside east or west of the Atlantic. There are similar discussions often on the Hilton board, usually related to tipping with a free breakfast.
I think most of us accept the need to tip when in north America, even if it seems ridiculous to do so.

The problem is that Americans, who probably receive less news from the outside world than citizens of East Germany did in the 1980s, believe that their behavioural norms apply globally and that is simply not the case.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer View Post
Funnily enough , I was indeed thinking of free breakfast such as the Diamond perk or inclusions with FHW fares etc. Many hotels which work on a voucher system mention "including gratuity" on them, others do not. I still think that from the point of view of the host and for the reasons I mentioned above, they all should. Otherwise, the suggestion is that the hotel/fare is offering you your bread and coffee but not something that you must use to be able to get them and that is, simply, not very hospitable.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Cbrave View Post
The sign at the bar at the new SEA Alaska Lounge on N gates specifically says not to tip. Nice little sign.
Whether it's across the board I don't know, but the Alsaka no tipping signs have been around a while. We were in the LAX lounge 4 years ago, and a similar sign was up at the bar, and the service was super friendly. Made a welcome change from the miserable bartender we'd encountered previously on that trip in Admiral's Club at CLT, with the bar covered in dollar bills just to make sure you knew what the expectation was.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post

I think the key here is the location of said lounges. As this is a BA forum, people will assume the lounges are in Britain, and that it is entirely culturally (and financially given minimum wage laws) appropriate that there is no expectation to tip. If the lounges under discussion were in N American, that might be different.
i dont think that geographic location has much to do with it. Having spent the best part of 5 hours propping up the bar at The Virgin Lounge in EWR due to a delayed flight I got talking to the barman. He told me that he gave up a job at a high end bar in NYC to work in the lounge. Whilst on a good day in NYC he could make a good living on tips, he was paid significantly more to work in the lounge due to its no tipping policy.
Scots_Al, nancypants and Erwin10 like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
While I do not work for BA or any other airline customer facing role, if I was the recipient of an edible / drinkable gift from a passenger I would likely discard it given the obvious safety implications of not being able to verify where it came from or that it had not been tampered with. If someone wanted to harm individuals, a very easy way to achieve this would be giving staff tainted "gifts" to consume and you can imagine how bad the situation could get if a large number of CC were incapacitated mid flight by "gifts".
Genius1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
It's still August
OMG That means there's only 117 shopping days left until Christmas

ML
nancypants and xPositor like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
I took 2 tubs of chocolate treats for the BA460 crew to enjoy on their longer MAD turnaround which went down well
My expectation is those tubs went into the bin with the contents uneaten. It is not a good idea to take candy (or anything else edible) from strangers.

On the primary question I do not tip in lounges.
Genius1, kingstontoon and ppp909 like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

Then he would have received short shrift from me and a complaint to Amex. Disgraceful behaviour.
I complained afterwards to AMEX (in the lounge I was actually not sure if I was actually unfriendly by not tipping)

Well, won't happen again
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
My expectation is those tubs went into the bin with the contents uneaten. It is not a good idea to take candy (or anything else edible) from strangers.

On the primary question I do not tip in lounges.
On that note I know from my ex girlfriend that EK crew always bring chocolate if they fly private and give it to cabin crew; but I guess that's different as they know each other or at least work there as well.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC
I hope that not everyone feels the same way otherwise thats food banks out of business.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 27Liam View Post
While I do not work for BA or any other airline customer facing role, if I was the recipient of an edible / drinkable gift from a passenger I would likely discard it given the obvious safety implications of not being able to verify where it came from or that it had not been tampered with. If someone wanted to harm individuals, a very easy way to achieve this would be giving staff tainted "gifts" to consume and you can imagine how bad the situation could get if a large number of CC were incapacitated mid flight by "gifts".

I appreciate it doesn't quite have the same safety implications as an airline but at least in my experience, in the UK, it is fairly standard that if you have a relative (usually elderly) in hospital for a couple of days or more, it is common to bring in a tub of sweet for the nurses to say thanks.

Also I have visited the ward the next day and observed the sweets open in the nurse's station so they definitely don't bin them or worry about tampering, these things are usually reasonably well sealed and if you had opened the box it would be obvious.

Maybe in other places or roles people in customer facing roles are more concerned about accepting edible gifts from "strangers".
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 27Liam View Post
Originally Posted by Saladman View Post
I hope that not everyone feels the same way otherwise that’s food banks out of business.
And you don't actually hear a lot of stories along these lines, whether on aircraft or elsewhere. The highest-profile problems seem to come from trick-or-treating - but then if you encourage children to take part in a mass disruption exercise by persistently and repeatedly disturbing complete strangers by knocking on their doors to beg for food with menaces, there's inevitably a risk that someone's going to take misguided deterrent action.

On a flight, the crew will know exactly whodunnit if some such problem arises. No culprit could hope to do this and get away with it - which drastically reduces any risk that there might be. Personally, I'd hope that by the end of the flight, they would have got the measure of me and formed a view about whether I was a dangerous creep or making a genuinely well-meant gesture. But equally, if for safety's sake, they accept the gesture but quietly dispose of the items concerned, I would understand and wouldn't be offended.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I think most of us accept the need to tip when in north America, even if it seems ridiculous to do so.

The problem is that Americans, who probably receive less news from the outside world than citizens of East Germany did in the 1980s, believe that their behavioural norms apply globally and that is simply not the case.
@MarcD
Whether it's across the board I don't know, but the Alsaka no tipping signs have been around a while. We were in the LAX lounge 4 years ago, and a similar sign was up at the bar, and the service was super friendly. Made a welcome change from the miserable bartender we'd encountered previously on that trip in Admiral's Club at CLT, with the bar covered in dollar bills just to make sure you knew what the expectation was.
Between the two of you, you have it nailed. I hate the AA system of drinks being served reluctantly by some sourpuss or obsequious (I'm uncertain which is the most unpleasant) barman. When the see that you have one of the begrudgingly (in the main) provided coupons for premier drinks, you can see the lights fade before you. They just know that you are not going to dip, so I do not disillusion them. In restaurants I pay 15% rounded up to the next dollar on proper bills of over $50 as 15% of nothing is still nothing.

All that said, whether I like it or not, that is the custom and practice. However I would no more think of tipping for pre-flight dining than I'd think of tipping the Captain, never mind the crew. That meal is a substitute for one on board and no one in my experience tips there.

Had I received a $1 tip for every passenger that I have served over the years, I would be a millionairess and I'd hire BBB and his Private Jet. He, I would tip!

Search this Thread