Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]

Old Sep 6, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
With the US, especially if I'm staying at a luxury hotel, I don't understand why I'm expected to tip. Being shown to the room, having luggage carried etc is part of why I paid 2-3x the price of a "normal" hotel. Where is all that extra money going?! And why should someone serving a $50 lunch earn higher tips than someone serving a $25 lunch?
Part of the problem is hotels will often factor tips in as part of the wage to avoid paying their staff a decent wage. It's not the staff's fault, they're caught in the middle; and the extra money goes straight to the hotel, not them. Wait staff, for example, can be paid less than minimum wage with the assumption that tips will make up the difference. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

Marriott for a while had tip envelopes in the room with a suggested tip amount ($5 per day! IIRC). Really? How about paying your staff a decent wage. I don't mind tipping for good service, but it's a bit ridiculous when hotels are using tipping to keep their costs down.
adrianlondon, mec72 and InsomniaBA like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
This reminds me of our Christmas ski holiday in the US this December when we had a run in with the US tipping culture. We had breakfast included in the rate, I was presented with a bill of USD 180 plus taxes (USD 45X4 which I was told was only for accounting purposes and would be zeroed out). It was a buffet breakfast, the only service we got from the lady serving us was that she poured us some coffee and juice. I added 20 dollars to the bill which I thought was a generous tip for close to zero effort from her and something that will be taken off as it is included in the rate.
I was told off by the lady serving us who came back to us with the check- according to her the norm in the US is minimum 25% in tip and she would appreciate if we can tip her appropriately.
When I pay a property north of 1000 dollars a night, I expect them to pay the staff a decent wage rather than expect them to live on tips.
adrianlondon, ung1 and mhy like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 7:57 am
mhy

Programs: JAL Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by LonLH View Post
This reminds me of our Christmas ski holiday in the US this December when we had a run in with the US tipping culture. We had breakfast included in the rate, I was presented with a bill of USD 180 plus taxes (USD 45X4 which I was told was only for accounting purposes and would be zeroed out). It was a buffet breakfast, the only service we got from the lady serving us was that she poured us some coffee and juice. I added 20 dollars to the bill which I thought was a generous tip for close to zero effort from her and something that will be taken off as it is included in the rate.
I was told off by the lady serving us who came back to us with the check- according to her the norm in the US is minimum 25% in tip and she would appreciate if we can tip her appropriately.
When I pay a property north of 1000 dollars a night, I expect them to pay the staff a decent wage rather than expect them to live on tips.
Ludicrous - 25% is NOT minimum anywhere in the US. I would say 15% is the accepted minimum but it has slowly been creeping upwards to 20%. $20 here was 11% which is below 15% but not unreasonable given it was a buffet. I hope you didn't give in.
JayeJ likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:01 am

So what I don't understand ... if the base were $45 and tip norm is 25% then the server would expect $11.25. So on top of the paltry wage she receives, she'd make a pretty decent living out of (not really) serving breakfast for a couple of hours to... what a few dozen guests? Heck at that amount even one guest an hour would make for a decent hourly rate.
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Part of the problem is hotels will often factor tips in as part of the wage to avoid paying their staff a decent wage. It's not the staff's fault, they're caught in the middle; and the extra money goes straight to the hotel, not them. Wait staff, for example, can be paid less than minimum wage with the assumption that tips will make up the difference. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

Marriott for a while had tip envelopes in the room with a suggested tip amount ($5 per day! IIRC). Really? How about paying your staff a decent wage. I don't mind tipping for good service, but it's a bit ridiculous when hotels are using tipping to keep their costs down.
I understand the thing with wait staff, especially as dinner at a hotel restaurant isn't linked to staying at the hotel etc. But, other services that one receives by virtue of staying at a nice hotel, such as porters, concierge, doorman, spa attendants etc etc are not something I am going to pay extra for when I'm already paying something crazy for the room. And I don't see why I should contribute to the problem (bit like giving beggars money) - the hotel needs to maintain their standards to attract high paying guests, and if they start getting bad reviews and stop getting guests then maybe they will invest something in the product.

Such a contrast to Switzerland this week where the wait staff at breakfast had studied at a top hotel management school and were extremely attentive and superbly professional! But that is just what you expect for 500 USD a night!
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
I understand the thing with wait staff, especially as dinner at a hotel restaurant isn't linked to staying at the hotel etc. But, other services that one receives by virtue of staying at a nice hotel, such as porters, concierge, doorman, spa attendants etc etc are not something I am going to pay extra for when I'm already paying something crazy for the room.
I see your point; mine was that even if the room is expensive that doesn't always translate to higher wages for the staff; in some cases hotels justify a lower wage since "You'll make it up in tips..."
Old Sep 6, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by mhy View Post
Ludicrous - 25% is NOT minimum anywhere in the US. I would say 15% is the accepted minimum but it has slowly been creeping upwards to 20%. $20 here was 11% which is below 15% but not unreasonable given it was a buffet. I hope you didn't give in.
I usually tip 5 dollars per head for buffet breakfast as usually breakfast is included in my rate (either via status or by virtue of breakfast inclusive rate). And I pay cash so that it goes to the pocket of the wait staff rather than to the pool. This was one of those examples of tipping culture getting out of control, with no correlation to service received.
The lady must have spent a total of 5 mins serving us (two coffees, two juices and two hot chocolates is what we got, rest all was self service)- 20 dollars is more than adequate for that service.
(In the US I usually tip in 15-20% range unless the service deserves more).
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:09 am

What? No no no. A lounge is part of the cost of the ticket. As an Australian, I'm appalled by the whole endless tipping culture (looking at you, USA), instead of paying a decent wage. But in a lounge, where we have paid for the privilege already? No!
wemyss and Misco60 like this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP;Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by melmike View Post
What? No no no. A lounge is part of the cost of the ticket. As an Australian, I'm appalled by the whole endless tipping culture (looking at you, USA), instead of paying a decent wage. But in a lounge, where we have paid for the privilege already? No!
Indeed.
It is highly inappropriate to tip in any lounge, worldwide. End of story...
Suggest this threads ends ...
Blenheim and mhrb like this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wemyss View Post
Indeed.
It is highly inappropriate to tip in any lounge, worldwide. End of story...
Suggest this threads ends ...
In what way is it inappropriate? Lounges in the US don't tend to be self pour, so you have a bartender. Tips are expected in most situations.

If you choose not to tip, that's your prerogative. But most people will tip.
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
In what way is it inappropriate? Lounges in the US don't tend to be self pour, so you have a bartender. Tips are expected in most situations.

If you choose not to tip, that's your prerogative. But most people will tip.

I've never seen anyone tip in a lounge. Was sitting right by the bar at LAS the other day, where there is a bartender. Can't recall anyone at least overtly leaving a tip. Never even occurred to me to do so.
mhrb likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by irmster View Post
I've never seen anyone tip in a lounge. Was sitting right by the bar at LAS the other day, where there is a bartender. Can't recall anyone at least overtly leaving a tip. Never even occurred to me to do so.
Maybe it's more in the US airline lounges. I used to be a regular at the Continental lounges at EWR, and it was generally $1 a drink back then (about 10 years ago).
Old Sep 7, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by irmster View Post
I the US most every one is giving a dollar for an alcoholic beverage at the bar.
And that's totally OK.
Its a difference if I have a 100 dollar bill for dinner and have to add another 20 for service.. Or if I get a free drink and give the guy a buck. Why not?
For me tipping is what it's called tipping.
I want to top because I enjoyed a special service. So I tip.. At the Concorde room. Because it's special. And it helps me get what I like.
I don't wanna tip mendatory..
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
I should tip 1$ the lounge bartender for passing me a bottle of beer?
Just make it official that counter service fee is not included in lounge access and end it there.
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
I should tip 1$ the lounge bartender for passing me a bottle of beer?
Just make it official that counter service fee is not included in lounge access and end it there.
You should do what ever you like, bro.. ☀️

Search this Thread