Wiki Posts
Search

Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:53 am

Perhaps the BA pilots should start putting out a tip jar
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by TomA
You can almost always adjust the amount. 25% is insane unless the taxi driver really did something extraordinary.
Oh I know that - and I do. But I wonder how many people get sucked into paying the minimum option because they either don't understand how tipping works (very common for foreigners), don't realise they can manually override it, are just in a hurry or someone else is paying and they don't care either way?

I hate that kind of manipulative close. Smacks of old school hard selling. Do you want it in yellow or blue? Errr - I don't want it at all thank you!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Actually in recent years I've seen tip inflation go from 15-20% to 20-25% as the norm in the US.

And cab companies helpfully offer you different preset gratuity options starting at 25% and going up from there. I really baulk at paying a hefty tip for someone who did nothing but drive me to the destination. Sure, if they help with bags, or do something out of the ordinary, but staying in their seat and driving ... seems so random to know what to do and who to tip to us non-natives!
I must admit that I would never tip a taxi driver anywhere. It just doesn’t seem to lend itself to tipping for the reasons you have mentioned.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Saladman

I must admit that I would never tip a taxi driver anywhere. It just doesn’t seem to lend itself to tipping for the reasons you have mentioned.
In most places rounding up the fare is enough. In the US, usually some tip is expected. For me it depends on whether they load and unload my bag or not. If they just pop the trunk open and I handle my own bag, I generally won't tip either.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
In this case your dictionary has cheap as a synonym for crass. Servers get paid bupkus everywhere in the world almost so a tip in a lounge is as deserving as a restaurant if if they are actually serving you and not like a McDonalds. Bartenders also.
Not true - there are many places in the world that pay people a decent wage.....
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Saladman
So if you had poor service in the US, would you still leave a tip? I know poor service does exist over there since I’ve experienced it a few times. Surly staff, forgetting to bring drinks, getting meal orders wrong. And no, I didn’t leave a tip. Why would I reward poor service?
Also in the U.K., would you leave a tip in a pub?
It depends why the service was poor. Often what the public concludes is "poor service" isn't the server's fault. I won't punish a hard-working server who makes a mistake or is slow because the restaurant is short-staffed or the kitchen didn't get the orders out at the same time. When it is a poor server I will tip a token amount and mention my dissatisfaction to the manager.

I do not tip for drinks when in a UK pub. I do not put my spare change in a tip jar if there is one. If spending an evening in a place I might suggest the barman to "take one for yourself." I will tip 10 per cent on a food order.
EDIwanderer and Saladman like this.

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Oh I know that - and I do. But I wonder how many people get sucked into paying the minimum option because they either don't understand how tipping works (very common for foreigners), don't realise they can manually override it, are just in a hurry or someone else is paying and they don't care either way?

I hate that kind of manipulative close. Smacks of old school hard selling. Do you want it in yellow or blue? Errr - I don't want it at all thank you!
Yeah, I see the same on delivery apps. Walmart--WALMART--asked me if I wanted to leave a $15 tip for grocery delivery. They can't even get into my building. I have to walk down and meet them and end up bringing up the groceries myself. And keep in mind that the groceries are packed by Walmart staff, not the driver. The driver just picks up the groceries and brings them to you.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
In this case your dictionary has cheap as a synonym for crass. Servers get paid bupkus everywhere in the world almost so a tip in a lounge is as deserving as a restaurant if if they are actually serving you and not like a McDonalds. Bartenders also.
That's nonsense. Stop applying your western thinking to everything.
Example: Tipping is actually a fairly grave insult in Japan and Korea. Try tipping in Japan someday. LOL
Guaranteed you'll cause a scene with a waiter begging you to take your money back.
Wong Jnr and mhy like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by trueblu

However, I'm rather surprised what sort of establishments in the UK many of the posters here dine at? The vast majority of restaurants have "optional" service charges added to the bill: this is a tip, but one where the "most likely" amount for the tip has been pre-calculated. I used to tediously ask if the the service charge went to the staff, and if it didn't ask for it to be removed, and then tip in cash...but the fact is, I just don't use cash as much anymore, and I just leave the suggested tip. Very occasionally, there is no service charge, and even more occasionally, e.g. if one is paying contactless, no opportunity to leave a tip by card. But I think these are in the minority.

tb
As others have said, this is only standard in London and surrounding areas, when dining in a large group or in high end/ Michelin starred restaurants. Otherwise tips are not generally added in restaurants, and people would either not tip or just leave a few pounds.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
what drives me even more mad is talking with highly intelligent American colleagues and they genuinely can't conceive that an alternative way is possible.
This.

I'm American but spend half my life overseas (and more since 2016 ) and I completely agree with you. Americans are the biggest know it alls out there. I think it's because the country is so large they rarely leave it except on their two week holiday to Europe and one week cruise to a fake city in Mexico (Cozumel, BTW). They just assume--having done that and maybe having traveled extensively in the US--that "everything else must be like this."

It's kinda hilarious, but also maddening. I don't know how you put up with us!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by rowingman
Wow. Some Scottish action going on here... Yes, your bartender in the crappy ORD Polaris lounge is probably at $11/hr/7GBP. OK, Maybe 9.5GBP (thanks Boris). Tip. You are flying Polaris. You can afford it. Drop $25. $50 in tips. Seriously you cheap people! The US service staff count on tips, so tip. In Australia the Qantas lounge staff are pulling down $30 US to pickup your coffee cup. In the US its $7. You can afford it. Pay kindness forward. I tip hotel maids $5 - 20 /night. Drinks in Gallery First/CCR? 5 - 10 GBP. Same for a meal in the lounge. On the aircraft? No, but I have given flight attendants Starbucks cards. Pay it forward.
Do you tip the cleaning staff when they come around in the lounge to sweep the floors? If not, why not? They're actually providing a genuine service you couldn't/wouldn't do yourself rather than a bartender who I find is merely serving me the same drink I'd actually rather self-pour if only US airline lounges weren't so stupidly cheap with alcohol.

What about the kitchen staff that are no doubt on the same or possibly even less pay than the front-line servers in lounges? Still no?

What about the person on the lounge reception desk? Also no?

Oh yes, that's right, there isn't really a firm logic to tipping culture beyond the fact that it's what has been done historically, so perhaps you should stop trying to impose one.
mhy and ScienceTeacher like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
But in the UK there is this horrible import, the Service Charge, which is becoming more prevelant.

I personally do not like the tipping culture unless someone has gone beyond reasonable expectations, but in the US the taxman does tax such workers on an estimate of tips, creating pressure to get tips. I do believe that it would be better to build the cost into the menu price, hey can call it bundling........................

My personal bugbear and this is mostly a West Coast thing, being given the bill before asking for it. Guarenteed low tip, especially if I have not finished or was going to order say a desert or another drink. Aghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then again perhaps the staff do not like me?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Misco60
You mean your own boss tips you for doing what he's already paying you to do!?

If so, that is the clearest example I have ever seen of the insanity of tipping culture.
Some like to give a bonus for a job well done.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta
I tend to tip ( a dollar a drink) in the US lounges only. I don't do it overseas where tipping is not part of the culture. That said, while waiting for my turn to be served, or waiting on my drink, I see very few tips going across the counter. If I am getting a premium drink (paid for), then I tend to tip $2.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: DL
I always tip at the lounge, even if it just a soda. I've had several service industry jobs where I worked for tips and appreciate the work people in those jobs do. When I go abroad I follow local customs, generally. I do find giving a tip to a bartender where you visit regularly is both a nice gesture and helps make sure your glass is filled regularly.
Badenoch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.