Different YQ for cash and Avios?

Old Aug 29, 19, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Different YQ for cash and Avios?

I've been following some LHR-BOS return fares and today noticed the YQ dropped for cash fares where at least one leg is in WT+. For example, cash W W comes up as 90 (and ITA agrees), down from 200. However an avios search (and a book and upgrade) still comes up as 200. The avios calculator is broken, so not sure what that says. I've seen no change to Y or J YQ.

I had assumed BA always charge the same YQ for cash or avios bookings - is this assumption wrong and is this difference normal / BA preparing for a sale, or are they dropping YQ on this route and Avios pricing is old? Then if I buy a cash fare and UUA from Y to W, or from W to J, what YQ would they use?

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered historically.
Old Aug 29, 19, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
I had assumed BA always charge the same YQ for cash or avios bookings - is this assumption wrong and is this difference normal / BA preparing for a sale, or are they dropping YQ on this route and Avios pricing is old? Then if I buy a cash fare and UUA from Y to W, or from W to J, what YQ would they use?
On a quick look, the lower 90 level (round-trip) of YQ surcharge (which is the same as the economy YQ) seems to be linked to the use of certain fare basis codes, which appear to be sale fares. On some relatively rare occasions, I have seen BA mainline charge different YQ within the same cabin depending on booking class or fare basis (albeit Comair fares do this routinely). So I suspect that this is something to do with the current sale, but I have no idea whether it's an intended or unintended effect.

If UuAing from Y to W, I would expect to pay the increase in YQ from 90 to 200 (round-trip). And if I bought a W cabin fare with 90 YQ and UuAd to J, I would expect to pay the difference between 90 and 400.

(For those interested in technical details, at first glance this may be an experiment by BA in a different way of naming DIFs.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: