FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR Further Drone Disruption 13th September (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1985043-lhr-further-drone-disruption-13th-september.html)

Fatdickie Aug 29, 2019 7:36 am

LHR Further Drone Disruption 13th September

Just seen in BBC News of further drones planned in September by a splinter group of Extinction Rebellion on 13th September

aggghh

they claim between 50 and 100 toy drones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49509852

rockflyertalk Aug 29, 2019 7:54 am

Your link doesn’t work and it would be helpful to quote and paste some of the article, otherwise clicking your link may seem a bit dodgy!

londonsean69 Aug 29, 2019 7:58 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49509852

Originally Posted by BBC
Climate campaigners' plans to use drones to disrupt flights out of Heathrow Airport are "criminal and counterproductive", the airport said.Heathrow Pause, an Extinction Rebellion offshoot not endorsed by the other group, announced plans to fly toy drones within the no-fly zone, grounding all flights, on 13 September.Organisers expect up to "a couple of hundred people" to be involved.

Heathrow airport said: "We agree with the need to act on climate change."

The spokeswoman added: "This is a global issue that requires constructive engagement and action.

Deltus Aug 29, 2019 8:03 am

Will it generate any more traction than the last one when about 5 children stood on the pavement by the roundabout, surrounded by 30 police officers?

I'd be surprised...

T8191 Aug 29, 2019 8:07 am

Interesting they (HAL) mention “constructive engagement” ... I wonder whether ‘Heathrow Pause’ would understand the meaning of that?

To$$ers. :mad:

kanderson1965 Aug 29, 2019 8:37 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31469774)
Interesting they (HAL) mention “constructive engagement” ... I wonder whether ‘Heathrow Pause’ would understand the meaning of that?

To$$ers. :mad:

My interpretation of constructive engagement is forcefully engaging these protesters in the construction of transportation infrastructure by means of hard labour (breaking rocks etc.)

Fatdickie Aug 29, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 31469724)
Your link doesn’t work and it would be helpful to quote and paste some of the article, otherwise clicking your link may seem a bit dodgy!

apologies Rockflyertalk.
Technology and me don't mix

thanks londonsean69 for correcting my link

ClosetoLHR Aug 29, 2019 8:50 am

Extinction rebellion say they "neither condemn nor condone" the action - which seems a nonsensical position for them to take.

Hopefully any disruption is prevented - it just seems so counterproductive to me to alienate the public for a cause for which these guys are trying to build support.

And before anyone mentions BALPA - the pilot's strike is a completely different kettle of fish as there is plenty of forewarning, there are achievable means to prevent it (dialogue/pay deal), numerous legal safeguards to protect all parties (min notice periods, TULCRA etc), and in any case the support of the public is irrelevant to the strikers. Plus, there are other ways for people to get to their destinations.

This drone nonsense is impossible to prevent, may well be illegal despite ER's claims to the contrary, has very little warning and could be dangerous. And it leaves people with no choice as to their ability to travel. I hope appropriate legal means are used to stop this drone disruption!

Joshm300 Aug 29, 2019 8:56 am

This is the last thing BA or any of us long suffering passengers need! I and many other people are scheduled to be landing on our rebooked strike flights that weekend, I don’t think work will be very sympathetic if I extend my holiday for a second time!

Lets hope the authorities manage it effectively.

JoeDTW Aug 29, 2019 9:09 am

How many of these "activists" have dogs?

Dogs are just as harmful to the environment, and just as significant of a contributor to global warming, as aviation is.

Instead of disrupting air travel, it would be nice if these activists focused on encouraging people to save the planet by having fewer dogs, or none at all.

Deltus Aug 29, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW (Post 31470011)
How many of these "activists" have dogs?

Dogs are just as harmful to the environment, and just as significant of a contributor to global warming, as aviation is.

Or children - they have an even bigger carbon footprint than a dog...

flygod Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am

Or grandchildren, and my wife's return CW trip to Denver to see the latest one !

notakeenflyer Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ClosetoLHR (Post 31469940)
This drone nonsense is impossible to prevent, may well be illegal despite ER's claims to the contrary, has very little warning and could be dangerous. And it leaves people with no choice as to their ability to travel. I hope appropriate legal means are used to stop this drone disruption!

I was staying near Heathrow last week and ran around a good proportion* of the perimeter fence which was festooned with signs warning that flying drones in this area is illegal. There is no grey area; it is clearly illegal and there are plenty of reminders. Those planning this know exactly what they are doing and are probably expecting the police to dance with them again. I suspect (and hope) that plod take a slightly firmer line.

( * - Actually wasn't as far as I'd hoped when I checked my fitness app after the event, but it felt like it at the time!)

LGWClosedAgain Aug 29, 2019 9:58 am

Have people not learned how easy it is to shut down an airport without drones? (Hong Kong)

Deltus Aug 29, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain (Post 31470178)
Have people not learned how easy it is to shut down an airport without drones? (Hong Kong)

I can't see that sort of thing happening at Heathrow for a few reasons:
  • Heathrow operates from 4 terminals. The effectiveness of HKG was that blocking the one and only check-in hall basically killed the airport. (Ok, there is that other terminal at HKG, but it's tiny in comparison.)
  • HKG required a huge number of people. It's easier to muster those sorts of crowds when the very existence of your country (or SAR) is under threat - I'm not sure these guys will generate quite the same outrage over putting a new slab of concrete in a corner of London that is already very heavily concreted.