Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Further Drone Disruption 13th September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Further Drone Disruption 13th September

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
I'm due to fly to Munich at 8.30pm on Friday. I guess I'll see how it all looks on the day and hopefully it'll all be ok but is there anything I can do in advance to mitigate against the worst of it if flights do get cancelled? And best practice advice in handling this sort of disruption?
On the same flight. :-)
Eskimoboy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Every cancellation/redirect is a win for them. In this instance I’m not sure they care about carbon emissions, they have succeeded in raising awareness. This was a complete PR excercise.

I predict zero disruption.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Friday 13th, full moon, three flights (including through LHR) with short connection times and now drones threatening LHR. What could possible go wrong.
buouxboy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum, VS Silver
BBC News (10pm) just had a report where it said the Met Police believe their planned counter measures are robust enough that flights should not be disrupted and travellers should aim to go ahead with their travel plans as planned.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Breadstick77
BBC News (10pm) just had a report where it said the Met Police believe their planned counter measures are robust enough that flights should not be disrupted and travellers should aim to go ahead with their travel plans as planned.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Very glad for everyone!

EDIT: Didn't see the image above

Last edited by krispy84; Sep 11, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
This is the same Met Police that consulted with Gatwick Airport on best practice recently. I’d be so happy to be proved wrong but I wish I shared their optimism. Whilst I’m sure there are things we don’t know about just look at the total disruption the Gatwick drone caused at Christmas. Factor in the resilience of this climate change group and looking how they brought London and Bristol to virtual gridlock... time will tell safe and hassle free travels everybody.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
This is the same Met Police that consulted with Gatwick Airport on best practice recently. I’d be so happy to be proved wrong but I wish I shared their optimism. Whilst I’m sure there are things we don’t know about just look at the total disruption the Gatwick drone caused at Christmas. Factor in the resilience of this climate change group and looking how they brought London and Bristol to virtual gridlock... time will tell safe and hassle free travels everybody.
Don't compare the Gatwick situation with this, they are much more prepared now after that and either case LHR is much more important than LGW.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I notice the last flight to Boston is cancelled on Friday. Now I absolutely have to be in Boston on Friday night or heads will fall. Currently booked on ba215 which now became the heavily overbooked and last flight to Boston.
Should I hop on ba203 or stay put?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Now I absolutely have to be in Boston on Friday night or heads will fall.
If you absolutely have to be there I'd book an earlier flight, or out of a different airport if necessary (LCY-AMS then on KLM?)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Met Police, facial recognition, 'nuff said.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Looks like a couple of of likely lads have had their collar felt.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
Thanks TheChangingMan! Hope Saturday goes smoothly.

I know, its crazy, and now I have to take a 2hr train to Manchester which adds to emissions! My other option was to fly from LGW to AMS then to ATL would have resulted in an extra flight plus a longer international flight!
I also imagine a flight on approach that has to initiate a go around due to drone activity is not too good for the environment compared to just landing as planned....
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I also imagine a flight on approach that has to initiate a go around due to drone activity is not too good for the environment compared to just landing as planned....
Not flying at all is even better for the environment...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The empty 747 that positioned from LHr to BOH on Tuesday climbed so quickly and so efficiently with no cargo, passengers and not much fuel.... was off the runway in no time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.