Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Further Drone Disruption 13th September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Further Drone Disruption 13th September

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Why do you think giving this the oxygen of publicity will help?
I never said it would help, whatsoever. I think the opposite.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
I never said it would help, whatsoever. I think the opposite.
You say it was your tweet that was picked up by the Beeb.... who are now giving these protesters a platform.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
You say it was your tweet that was picked up by the Beeb.... who are now giving these protesters a platform.
This has been covered by the media for several weeks now. I tweeted Heathrow Ops a while ago asking if they were expecting any disruption (as have hundreds of other people) and was contacted yesterday by a BBC producer. Me tweeting at Heathrow has absolutely zero to do with them having a platform. The Victoria Derbyshire program has been looking for travelers flying out of LHR this weekend for the last few days, I was only contacted yesterday afternoon after a producer searched twitter for references to the protests, to which I politely declined.

Really do not appreciate the insinuation that I am somehow adding to the issue.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Sky news have posted a comment piece on this proposed action suggesting the protest could backfire:

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views...006?inApp=true
To be honest I don’t think they care about that. The extinction rebellion people that caused a traffic jam in which a man on the way to his father who was about to die were sorry thst the person didn’t make it before his father dies but are not sorry for the actions they took as nobody is listening to the climate change problem.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
I'm due to fly to Munich at 8.30pm on Friday. I guess I'll see how it all looks on the day and hopefully it'll all be ok but is there anything I can do in advance to mitigate against the worst of it if flights do get cancelled? And best practice advice in handling this sort of disruption?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
I'm due to fly to Munich at 8.30pm on Friday. I guess I'll see how it all looks on the day and hopefully it'll all be ok but is there anything I can do in advance to mitigate against the worst of it if flights do get cancelled? And best practice advice in handling this sort of disruption?
Personally, I would just have a back up plan and know what other airports/airlines have available flights. That's my strategy anyway. Good luck!
A P Yu and Eskimoboy like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:22 am

Personally, I would just have a back up plan and know what other airports/airlines have available flights. That's my strategy anyway. Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah I've got a couple of alternative options in case the worst happens. Not sure whether my travel insurance would cover me rebooking myself as I guess Drone protests might fall under an exemption. Hopefully it'll all be ok though!
peter.r.erskine likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC
For what it's worth, a tweet I sent to LHR last week asking about the protests was picked up by a producer at Victoria Derbyshire's program on BBC2. I was asked to come on today and speak on air with some of the protesters. I can't make it but they will be airing the discussion at 10:30am ish BBC2 and should be on the iplayer after.
Similarly I was also approached after tweeting LHR yesterday afternoon.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Thanks! Yeah I've got a couple of alternative options in case the worst happens. Not sure whether my travel insurance would cover me rebooking myself as I guess Drone protests might fall under an exemption. Hopefully it'll all be ok though!
Your insurer may invoke the ‘civil unrest’ get out. I would certainly call them before spending anything you are unwilling to pay for out of your own pocket.
Eskimoboy likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
To be honest I don’t think they care about that. The extinction rebellion people that caused a traffic jam in which a man on the way to his father who was about to die were sorry thst the person didn’t make it before his father dies but are not sorry for the actions they took as nobody is listening to the climate change problem.
They're right though. If their protest is largely ignorable then they're not going to get any results.

They aren't trying to win people over to their side. They're trying to make people realise that it's an immediate threat which needs immediate action.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Your insurer may invoke the ‘civil unrest’ get out. I would certainly call them before spending anything you are unwilling to pay for out of your own pocket.
Thanks, that's a very good point. I've got insurance with my Amex Platinum card so I'll dig out the paperwork and give them a call on Friday if things go awry
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:33 am

For what it's worth, I ended up canceling my flight and I'm flying from Manchester with Virgin. It pained me to give up my BA First Avios ticket and I still think flight will likely go ahead but I couldn't take even the tiniest risk of drones disrupting my flight and me missing this wedding. BA gave me a full refund and waived the redeposit fee, although this was due to the 13th being within a few days of the strikes.

Good luck to all!
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:15 am

For what it's worth, I ended up canceling my flight and I'm flying from Manchester with Virgin. It pained me to give up my BA First Avios ticket and I still think flight will likely go ahead but I couldn't take even the tiniest risk of drones disrupting my flight and me missing this wedding. BA gave me a full refund and waived the redeposit fee, although this was due to the 13th being within a few days of the strikes.

Good luck to all!
See, this is the daft thing. Folk aren't cancelling flights - they're changing departure points. I'm looking at LGW or AMS rather than LHR. So it's not reducing carbon footprint - it just smacks on NIMBYism.

Peter, I don't blame you for mitigating the risk this way. My flight is on Saturday so I'll see how it goes on Friday. Enjoy the wedding!
wrp96 and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:25 am

Thanks TheChangingMan! Hope Saturday goes smoothly.

I know, its crazy, and now I have to take a 2hr train to Manchester which adds to emissions! My other option was to fly from LGW to AMS then to ATL would have resulted in an extra flight plus a longer international flight!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm also flying to MXP on Friday morning at 9:20 from LHR.

I really can't be bothered with delays like this so fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.