Y Pax upgraded by BA staff

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Saladman
However there is no suggestion that this was a staff member/staff travel holder.
Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer
We shouldn't get upset about other people's good fortune; it's not a zero-sum game, so when nobody else is worse off, why not share in the joy.
If (and I know it's a big "if") what the upgraded passenger said was true, then it sounds like they probably weren't on staff travel. Surely that makes it worse? If any member of the public can reliably buy discount World Traveller and expect to travel in Club World because of their connections, then how can you say that nobody else is worse off for this practice?

The litmus test really ought to be whether the company allows it and is prepared to say so. I find it hard to imagine BA being happy to say publicly that if you know someone inside the airline who can pull strings, you're welcome to ask for the strings to be pulled for you. And if BA won't say so, why should we regard it as OK anyway?
Originally Posted by subject2load
In a former life, and for my sins, I endured a period of flying Cameroon Airlines (no choice at the time ..... not sure if they even exist these days) for domestic sectors within its home country. The standing joke at the time was that, on any given flight, the percentage of pax on family / friend freebies far outweighed the number of those who had actually paid for a ticket.
It reminds me of a former nickname of an airline that's still standing: Air Zimbobwe.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:40 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ubiest
This thread reminds me of one a year or two back about the chap who got all incensed and DYKWIA about being denied FLUB when a group of girls on a hen do were invited into FLUB instead of him.
OP should get a life and stop worrying about other people’s good fortune.
However, if I were the contact at BA, I would banish the fellow who was upgraded from Y from ever getting an upgrade again for being a loudmouth.

Yes, that was me. I have moved on since getting a phone call from a customer service manager at BA around a month later and 20,000 Avios. They verified that if the F (Flub) cabin is deemed closed, staff cannot just put people they fancy up there. That particular thread got closed down by the mods, or else I would have been sure to update this forum.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC brown
Originally Posted by CX828
My issue with this is this seems to be a trend with BA if it relates to staff. BA staff system allows employees to standby for each class of service and passengers will then pay accordingly. Obviously Club is a lot more expensive than Economy.

Often on empty flights when cabin crew/pilots know the staff or indeed they are family - they upgrade them once onboard so that they do not have to pay the higher price. this is a breach of their travel policy and should be reported when seen.

Whilst it is not an entitlement, often seat blocks will be done next to higher card holders - and these might have a pax such as above placed in it.

I am all for upgrades - op ups, seat inops, special occasion etc. but to breach their airlines travel policy just brings the overall quality of the cabin down. My last flight had 2 family members from the captain, two family members from first officer, and girlfriend of relief first officer, and wife of the CSM all join the trip - It was a very light load. As they were operating I assume they just moved them up onboard, as expertflyer showed me the seats vacant after flight had closed . . .
Apologies for the lengthy post but I’m just going to clear up a few points you make here.

In a nutshell the most commonly used staff travel tickets at BA can be summarised as “Basic” and “Premium” standby. Each ticket is priced at 10% of the full Y(basic) or J(premium) fare plus any tax. A basic standby ticket entitles you to a seat in Y and a lower onload priority whereas a premium ticket entitles you to a seat in Club (or WTP if Club is full) and a higher onload priority. The difference between ticket prices can be up to Ł150 when departing the UK (due to higher tax on J fares) but when leaving the US the difference in price is marginal. There are also various other ticket types plus duty travel, BAs staff travel system is very complicated. In any case purchasing a premium standby ticket may still mean you only get a jumpseat because the flight is full, but you will have been onloaded ahead of staff passengers with basic tickets.

If the Captain chooses to upgrade staff travelling on a ANY standby ticket contrary to your belief this is not a breach of BAs staff travel policy so long as they are suitably dressed, do not take an amenity kit etc.

Regarding your point about blocked seats, staff passengers are commonly sat next to cardholders regardless of class/when they were upgraded. This is because on full flights staff seats are allocated last and these “blocked” seats just so happen to be the last free.

I hope you enjoyed your last flight and that the staff travelling on standby were upgraded discreetly and that having them there didn’t “bring the overall quality of the cabin down”. If you were a BA captain would you really make your own family sit in economy?

I will just add that for BA staff travel concessions are part of a remuneration package for what can be a very tough and challenging job. Additionally I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that BA staff will also help each other (within the rules) when they can. For every flight a staff member has in Club they will have endured hours on a jumpseat or had their holiday cut short because the flight the day before went tech.

Deadgiveaway
moondog, Jagboi, PAL62V and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LHHon
Am I just being nasty and petty in feeling rather aggrieved because a) availability for Avios upgrades is notoriously limited even for EC Gold, and b) that I had needed to use my hard-earned Avios for a one-class upgrade, while a phone call to a friend of a friend at BA apparently carries sufficient weight for a freebie 2-class upgrade?
The saying "its not what you know but who you know" covers this and the billions of other situations where the undeserving get treatment better than the deserving because of connections.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If (and I know it's a big "if") what the upgraded passenger said was true, then it sounds like they probably weren't on staff travel. Surely that makes it worse? If any member of the public can reliably buy discount World Traveller and expect to travel in Club World because of their connections, then how can you say that nobody else is worse off for this practice?
I think the key here is whether the public can reliably expect free upgrades. Of course there is a line. I agree that taken to the extreme, the practice is not sustainable.

To quote Kant, “act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law.” Does this mean that discretion should not exist? I don’t think so; but naturally the system breaks down if discretion is not applied sparingly.

All the same, if I was offered an upgrade because I happened to know a member of the staff, I wouldn’t turn it down...

Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser

From what I read I don't think there was any expectation whatsoever. It sounds like (assumption, obviously) that someone asked if there was a possibility of the person getting a better seat and they did. I don't think he expected to buy a discount ticket and then travel in Club!

I'm not flight crew so I can't say, but I assume that the Captain has the absolute right to be able to seat people wherever he likes once the dor is shut?
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer
I think the key here is whether the public can reliably expect free upgrades.
In the one instance in which I've seen this happen multiple times to the same person, including that person's travelling companions, and seen what was being done to trigger the upgrade: yes, it was reliable.

For the avoidance of doubt, this was not duty travel, it was not staff travel, it was not someone whose entitlement was to premium cabin space subject to load, it was not someone whose seat was broken, it was not someone who was prepared to move anywhere to help out families - it was someone whose connection to BA was basically only that she knew someone senior who could get things done.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by DeadGiveAway

Apologies for the lengthy post but I’m just going to clear up a few points you make here.

In a nutshell the most commonly used staff travel tickets at BA can be summarised as “Basic” and “Premium” standby. Each ticket is priced at 10% of the full Y(basic) or J(premium) fare plus any tax. A basic standby ticket entitles you to a seat in Y and a lower onload priority whereas a premium ticket entitles you to a seat in Club (or WTP if Club is full) and a higher onload priority. The difference between ticket prices can be up to Ł150 when departing the UK (due to higher tax on J fares) but when leaving the US the difference in price is marginal. There are also various other ticket types plus duty travel, BAs staff travel system is very complicated. In any case purchasing a premium standby ticket may still mean you only get a jumpseat because the flight is full, but you will have been onloaded ahead of staff passengers with basic tickets.

If the Captain chooses to upgrade staff travelling on a ANY standby ticket contrary to your belief this is not a breach of BAs staff travel policy so long as they are suitably dressed, do not take an amenity kit etc.

Regarding your point about blocked seats, staff passengers are commonly sat next to cardholders regardless of class/when they were upgraded. This is because on full flights staff seats are allocated last and these “blocked” seats just so happen to be the last free.

I hope you enjoyed your last flight and that the staff travelling on standby were upgraded discreetly and that having them there didn’t “bring the overall quality of the cabin down”. If you were a BA captain would you really make your own family sit in economy?

I will just add that for BA staff travel concessions are part of a remuneration package for what can be a very tough and challenging job. Additionally I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that BA staff will also help each other (within the rules) when they can. For every flight a staff member has in Club they will have endured hours on a jumpseat or had their holiday cut short because the flight the day before went tech.

Deadgiveaway
I don't have a problem with staff taking J seats. It should just be done in the correct way. I.E. you list for Premium standby, pay your appropriate taxes, are in the appropriate upgrade list and are allocated your seat subject to availability at the gate.

Your response sounds like you work for BA - to your comment "would you really expect a BA captain to leave his family in Economy" - No, but I'd expect him/her to list their family for the correct class so they can sit in Business. If there are other staff on-board who listed for Economy as they didn't want to pay more to sit in business - its unfair on the other staff. hence why the policy should be followed. If BA allow operating crew to make free for all choices once doors closed the policy will be completely abused on empty flights.

When I talk about bringing the cabin "quality down" I'm referring to a CSM sat on the jump seat for most of the flight talking to his wife, the pilots coming down the aisle more than necessary to chat with their family (2-3 times seems normal, 6-8 times seems extreme)....
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 737Av8tor
I was upgraded on staff travel from Y to J on a flight from SFO-LHR: I was given a seat in the full Y cabin seated next to a lady who was engaged in conversation with a man seated in front of me. Transpired it was her husband, so I asked if he wanted to trade seats with me, as I was ravelling alone. As we were swapping seats a cabin crew member asked what we were doing and when I explained she asked if I would sit in another seat swapping with a passenger who was complaining about something.

I did this and was then asked if I would move again to give someone an aisle seat: not a problem for me. I said to the cabin crew 'll hang around in the galley until you are fully boarded which gives you a seat to play with, then you tell me where you want me to sit". After boarding was complete I was taken to CW and offered a seat there, but I never asked for an upgrade.

When I was operating the LHR shuttle ( not a BA service ) I would always try to upgrade staff of any airline who were travelling in uniform to Business if we had the space; just a professional courtesy.
Now there's an idea. I'm just searching ebay now for a pilot's uniform to wear on my next trip. hahaha
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by DeadGiveAway

. If you were a BA captain would you really make your own family sit in economy?

Deadgiveaway
I've already shared my anecdote of "special" treatment within the NHS from more than 15 years ago and I'm not totally against perks. But it's the idea that it should _be the norm_ that I do take exception to.

However, to re-phrase this scenario, imagine the headlines in the Daily Mail "NHS consultants' families always get private rooms when in hospital"...it would be utterly scandalous...and frankly, BA captains earn pretty decent money...they can actually pay for CW tickets for their family should they really want to??

tb
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I don't have a problem with staff taking J seats. It should just be done in the correct way. I.E. you list for Premium standby, pay your appropriate taxes, are in the appropriate upgrade list and are allocated your seat subject to availability at the gate.

Your response sounds like you work for BA - to your comment "would you really expect a BA captain to leave his family in Economy" - No, but I'd expect him/her to list their family for the correct class so they can sit in Business. If there are other staff on-board who listed for Economy as they didn't want to pay more to sit in business - its unfair on the other staff. hence why the policy should be followed. If BA allow operating crew to make free for all choices once doors closed the policy will be completely abused on empty flights.

When I talk about bringing the cabin "quality down" I'm referring to a CSM sat on the jump seat for most of the flight talking to his wife, the pilots coming down the aisle more than necessary to chat with their family (2-3 times seems normal, 6-8 times seems extreme)....
I think your last point is the most important. About 2 years ago I flew First to Hong KOng and the CSM had her mother at Door 1 L. The cabin service was a disaster in every sense of the word with meals not loaded, no menus, no interaction from crew a bedlam from the galley. All the while the CSM fussed and fretted over her ageing mother in the jump seats and at one stage actually complained to me about how she had been treated.

Its not just BA though. Flew IST DPS at start of August and the flight was full. My daughter was offered a Y seat despite being booked in J which was resolved quickly. She was allocated 1A and once on board the death stares from the jump seat made it clear it had been blocked for the dutch skippers wife. She and another passenger spent a rather uncomfortable 13 hours by door 2 R.
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yes.

We've all heard the expression it's not WHAT you know it's WHO you know.

Flying standby in J is the same thing. You shouldn't feel bad for paying, or for paying to upgrade. You might make 50k$ a year more than that person, maybe not, maybe luck is always on his side...that's just life.

If you had gotten bumped back, we'd have ourselves a conversation, I'm not sure how/why that would happen, but there's always threads that seem to have wacky stuff like that happen.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Jed
Yes, that was me. I have moved on since getting a phone call from a customer service manager at BA around a month later and 20,000 Avios. They verified that if the F (Flub) cabin is deemed closed, staff cannot just put people they fancy up there. That particular thread got closed down by the mods, or else I would have been sure to update this forum.
Still, bit embarrassing complaining about it, much like this whole thread.

Someone got something.
Someone stuck their nose in when it had nothing to do with them.
Someone said something.

Good on the person getting the upgrade.
moondog and alvinlwh like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geminidreams
The saying "its not what you know but who you know" covers this and the billions of other situations where the undeserving get treatment better than the deserving because of connections.
Originally Posted by drvannostren
We've all heard the expression it's not WHAT you know it's WHO you know.
It's still wrong.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

I must confess I'm in the middle ground here. I can see your point. However the flip side, as has been mentioned above, is that the person will often have endured many jump seats, middle seats right at the back, little or no food choice (and sometimes no food at all on a 12 hour flight!), having your seat progressively changed to a worse and worse one and eventually spending much of the flight sitting on the cold weather equipment at the back of Economy on a 747-200, paying for a premium sby and only getting a middle seat on the back of WT, or despite being given a boarding pass and seat, having a ground staff person come on board and turfing you off to make room for someone else. CWS said that the balance is firmly in the court of the paying customer, and so it should be and I'd have thought there are few people who think otherwise. But on the (and in general) rare occasions that an upgrade is offered then I don't see the issue in that. Like so many things in life, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

As regards your last point, well I was always told to dress smartly (in the 70's and 80's I always wore a jacket and tie - obviously now you stand out like a sore thumb since the majority of premium passengers have.... 'trying to be diplomatic'.... 'relaxed' dress standards), be unobtrusive, be discreet, don't ask for anything out of the ordinary, don't accept the PJs, amenity kits etc, don't be loud, be helpful, offer to swap seats to assist paying passengers, put overhead luggage elsewhere if necessary to make room for paying passengers luggage - and especially don't get drunk!
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.