Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y Pax upgraded by BA staff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I’m so offended and I need compensation.
PAL62V and alvinlwh like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Think of it like this: If you would have a close friend at BA who could arrange this for you, you would happily accept it also.
I did accept this once. It was such a miserable experience that I swore never to do it again, and I haven't.

I am, however, always grateful for DUT upgrades.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Travel benefits are one of the perks to employees, and if there are rules to allow them to share them, then so be it. The people who should be peeved were #1 and #2 on the upgrade list (if BA has such things).
BA do not have upgrade lists, and upgrades are at the discretion of BA.

They can and do upgrade whoever they choose whenever they choose.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Jed
I think the OP has a right to feel aggrieved.
If true, the fact that one can get a 2 class upgrade on a long haul BA flight simply by virtue of knowing someone influential at BA, whilst others have to pay a stack of Avios or several hundred pounds for it, feels corrupt.

Corrupt? Please.

Every company has perks. If you arent harming anyone else in the process where is the harm?

They were only moved if there was empty seats which there was. Good on them
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Corrupt? Please.

Every company has perks. If you arent harming anyone else in the process where is the harm?
So you were happy with the concept of Employee Class on the airlines that became notorious for it?

Anyway, how confident are we that these were perks? As in benefits that the company authorises and is content to provide?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It happens, its life, I can understand you feel a bit peeved, but time to move on, its probably happening more often than you want to know.

When I lived in Dubai I knew a number of EK crew and managed to get a number of benefits when on board.

I suspect there are other areas of your life where you too have benefited from getting something prioritised because you knew someone.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
The point is not whether we think you are right to feel miffed, you obviously do and I have sympathy. You won't be the only one who notices this and thinks a little less of the airline as a result. It seems a bit sloppy to me and it creates an unlevel playing field. There is a mild disincentive to go for higher status, if it means little next to 'who you know'. Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like it is quite common, in which case I have some questions. What sort of employee do you need to know? What would their job be? How does this grey market system work? Do they add a note on a record somewhere that gets picked up by the crew, or do they make a phone call on their friend's behalf? Can I get a friend in BA? Is there a Tinder for this?

No doubt this is all secret and takes place behind closed doors, not to be exposed in the light, which as I say, makes BA look sloppy. I know others will disagree but OP and I (and others) are allowed to feel that way and any amount of 'well be happy for their good fortune' won't mean I don't think about it next time I part with hard earned Avios.
Jed likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Corrupt? Please.

They were only moved if there was empty seats which there was. Good on them
Yes company has perks. But most airline has perks printed in black and white. One thing they would make clear is NOT to upgrade anyone without company permission or within company guidelines. Any give away self upgrade is a lost opportunity for BA to sell a revenue ticket or upgrades, thus lost revenue. Especially if you know someone within the company and get this treatment every single time. I would highly doubt BA's perk would include free upgrade for family and neighbors when space available at one's will. Remember BA's pilots has to pay the miniatures onboard the last flight of the day. That is how stingy BA is but that is rules and everyone has to follow.

For staff travel, there are guidelines on what priority each staff member has, and what entitlement is. Most upgrade is processed before the staff member boards the flight.

OP has a point IF the correct procedure was not followed and the perks are abused.

Knowing someone in BA does not give you perks of free upgrade, if so, the corporate structure and discipline is a joke. This someone has to be really high up in order to cover his/her trials or enjoy too much freedom of discretionary upgrades.

There is a reason why staff members can only share flight perks with selected people. Perks are perks, always have string attached. I have yet to see one airline offers no string attached perks.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flyslow
I usually slip a fiver to FA standing at the door when boarding and whisper "Find me a good seat, there's more where that came from". Works like a charm.
Laughed out loud at this and still chuckling over the movie(s) playing in my mind. Thank you.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JayeJ
Laughed out loud at this and still chuckling over the movie(s) playing in my mind. Thank you.
Reminds me of the old Harry Enfield character Big Bob Joylove "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get yerrrr."
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by dddc
Having seen some of the perks people have had in companies I've worked for in the City, staff getting the chance to get an upgrade on a flight is hardly something to moan about. If you knew what sort of perks City folk get, you know not to worry about this sort of staff benefit for airline staff.
Whilst compensation and benefits may be (very) generous in the city, offering or accepting from others entertainment, gifts, flights etc in the current regulatory and compliance regime is a recipe for swift termination of employment.
nd100 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by LHHon
A short story: flying a great deal on BA WTP, I earn enough Tier Points to maintain Gold, but obviously not a really huge amount of Avios. Imagine my pleasure as I managed to bag a late (only a few days pre-departure) LHR-BKK upgrade to Club World using Avios.
While enjoying the welcome cocktail, 2 passengers - father and daughter - were brought up to the Club World cabin by a crew member. I got into conversation with the father who was seated next to me, who explained that he had been upgraded from World Traveller. I asked if he was BA staff. He said no, but someone who works for him has contacts at BA, and a well-placed phone call resulted in the upgrade after boarding.
Am I just being nasty and petty in feeling rather aggrieved because a) availability for Avios upgrades is notoriously limited even for EC Gold, and b) that I had needed to use my hard-earned Avios for a one-class upgrade, while a phone call to a friend of a friend at BA apparently carries sufficient weight for a freebie 2-class upgrade?
I would certainly be annoyed if i had used my hard earned points and hear this. However, the bolding is important. We do not know who this "someone" is. Maybe the father is the head of a company/department which has a large travel budget and the "someone" is the designated travel booker. Airlines do recognize loyalty in different ways.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:05 pm

Sorry but do you really not think that crew upgrade their friends on flights etc.... BA staff will always look after eachother (and friends/family). It just so happens it happened in front of your eyes.
Bear in mind the seat would have been empty anyway and they would be last for a choice of meal or any extras.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LHHon
Am I just being nasty and petty in feeling rather aggrieved ...?
Yes, how others get there is none of your beeswax. I pay for J and F so should I be nasty and petty about you upgrade moochers?
alvinlwh and James91 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
I think the OP has a right to feel aggrieved.
If true, the fact that one can get a 2 class upgrade on a long haul BA flight simply by virtue of knowing someone influential at BA, whilst others have to pay a stack of Avios or several hundred pounds for it, feels corrupt.
An upgrade at check-in or the gate sounds like he knew someone influential. An upgrade onboard sounds like something else.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.