Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chase BA Visa card offers new rebate for redemption fees

Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Chase Bank BA Visa card has just announced a new rebate, via statement credit, for redemption fees charged by BA, up to $200 per booking and up to $600 per year.

Details:

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...atement-credit
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

The statement credit will be up to $100 for transatlantic flights in Y and PE, and up to $200 for J and F.

The flights must originate in the US. The rebates are provided per each booking, not per ticket. So, you might want to split your bookings.

You may receive up to three rebates, up to $600 per year.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I suppose it's better than nothing but the fact the award fee credit is only applicable for USA-departing flights stinks... the fees associated with ex-USA one-way awards are higher than the same routing reversed back into the USA.

Random example of one-way award bookings for Feb of 2020:

IAD-LHR-LIN (Milan) in WT carries $217 in fees ex-USA but only $184 for the opposite
IAD-LHR-LIN in WT+ carries $227 ex-USA, and $184 for the opposite
IAD-LHR-LIN in CW carries $642 ex-USA and $378 for the opposite
IAD-LHR-LIN in F carries $841 ex-USA and $378 for the opposite
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
I suppose it's better than nothing but the fact the award fee credit is only applicable for USA-departing flights stinks... the fees associated with ex-USA one-way awards are higher than the same routing reversed back into the USA.

Random example of one-way award bookings for Feb of 2020:

IAD-LHR-LIN (Milan) in WT carries $217 in fees ex-USA but only $184 for the opposite
IAD-LHR-LIN in WT+ carries $227 ex-USA, and $184 for the opposite
IAD-LHR-LIN in CW carries $642 ex-USA and $378 for the opposite
IAD-LHR-LIN in F carries $841 ex-USA and $378 for the opposite
Haven't the BA surcharges for US East Coast to LHR been significantly reduced? If so, booking IAD-LHR as one award, and LHR-LIN as a Reward Flight Saver as a second award might make sense -- if you're willing to deal with the risk of a mis-connection.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geo1005
You are complaining that the award fee credit is only applicable to ex-USA flights .... because those flights have higher award fees????
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Interesting! There was a rumour in July that this might be happening. It was mentioned somewhere on one of the FT threads and I'm trying to find it to see how closely it matched this announcement.

Great spin on the Chase website: "Use the credit to enhance your next trip with a tour, dinner, or more." In reality of course the credit may be used to offset some of the recent increases in YQ in F.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Haven't the BA surcharges for US East Coast to LHR been significantly reduced? If so, booking IAD-LHR as one award, and LHR-LIN as a Reward Flight Saver as a second award might make sense -- if you're willing to deal with the risk of a mis-connection.
Only in Y.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I wonder if the booking I made in May will qualify?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
I wonder if the booking I made in May will qualify?
The Terms & Conditions are silent on retroactivity.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mec72
Only in Y.
Exactly. Only the Y award fees (ex-USA) have been reduced. F has actually gone up about $200 (was formerly similar or the same as CW fees). Make no mistake, I'm happy to see this new "benefit" but it is interesting how they've crafted the credit to not hurt too much on their side.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And what are the chances that the 10% discount for holding a Chase BA card when making a booking survives the implementation of this new benefit? I suspect there'll be no further extension of that discount although I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
It was predicted when the latest round of J/F ex-US increases came through (especially based on the surveys Chase sent).

I think this type of deceptive practice - increasing the fees then months later offering a rebate - makes me dislike them even more.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
And what are the chances that the 10% discount for holding a Chase BA card when making a booking survives the implementation of this new benefit? I suspect there'll be no further extension of that discount although I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.
The 10 percent discount is for revenue bookings, and the new reward rebate is for redemption bookings. The two are not duplicative. There is no overlap.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The statement credit will be up to $100 for transatlantic flights in Y and PE, and up to $200 for J and F.

The flights must originate in the US. The rebates are provided per each booking, not per ticket. So, you might want to split your bookings.

You may receive up to three rebates, up to $600 per year.
I see in the T&C the first and last conditions. But where do you see the T&C saying the flight must originate in the US?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I see in the T&C the first and last conditions. But where do you see the T&C saying the flight must originate in the US?
“d. The booking must be for a transatlantic international travel itinerary redeemed from Cardmember’s Executive Club account with the transatlantic portion departing from the United States solely on aircraft operated by British Airways. The booking may include a connecting flight on a code share partner for the non-transatlantic portion of the itinerary.”

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...atement-credit
Infinite1K likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.