Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chase BA Visa card offers new rebate for redemption fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Visa card offers new rebate for redemption fees

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Who did you call, Chase or BA?
Steve, I called Chase.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Canceled a couple of redemptions so now waiting for the $200 statement credit claw back from Chase. It will be a good test of their systems,
​​​​​​​Did you get the statement credit clawed back? Wondering if I should also be expecting one as I've cancelled my redemption too.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Giovanni Alcantara
Did you get the statement credit clawed back? Wondering if I should also be expecting one as I've cancelled my redemption too.
Hello Giovanni Alcantara and welcome to FlyerTalk.

That’s a good question and until now I had not checked. I can confirm - and don’t tell anyone - that so far the statement credit has not been reversed. I suspect it probably will be at some point though.
Giovanni Alcantara likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold 20y (89-09)
Household Account member Reward Flight Statement Credit missing since December 2019.

As the OP on this thread, and as someone who would like to think that he knows the ins and outs of this new Chase/BA rebate program, I am here to tell you that I have screwed up. But perhaps my confession will offer a cautionary tale to others.

In early December, my spouse and I redeemed her 2-4-1 voucher for a round-trip CW trip on BA, SEA-LHR, using our Household Account, thereby redeeming Avios from both of our BAEC accounts on a pro rata basis. While we both have our own individual Chase BA Visa cards, I opted to pay for the taxes/fees on the booking with my BA Visa (being the patriarchal type).

Big mistake.

Chase has now informed me that we are not eligible for the $200 statement credit because we did not do the Avios redemption from the BAEC account of the cardholder who paid the taxes/fees......even though we are in a Household Account and both have our own Chase/BA Visa cards, and the pro rata deduction of Avios would be identical regardless of which of the two Chase Visas we happened to use.

Unlike most FTers, I am posting this not because I seek your affirmation or sympathy, but only because it might help others avoid this hypertechnical error.

Be careful out there.
I am part of a Household Account and have not received my Reward Flight Statement Credit for FC BOS-LHR one way issued in December 2019.

Has anyone in a Household Account ever received the advertised Visa Credit?

Is this a Household Account issue?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by The Lone Arranger

Has anyone in a Household Account ever received the advertised Visa Credit?
Yes

Is this a Household Account issue?
No
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:06 pm

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:08 pm

Thanks, any ideas for me.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, any ideas for me.
Did you pay for the ticket with a Chase/BA credit card where you were not the primary cardholder? That as my problem! I learned an expensive lesson.

I am in a Household Account, and other bookings have earned the bonus rebate.

Have you called (or sent a secure message to) Chase? They should be able to tell you why you haven’t received the credit. Let us know.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I am the head of our Household Account and received a credit last month on the first statement that closed after I purchased the ticket. The ticket was two one ways not a standard round trip. In your case it sounds like you only bought a single one way ticket, I believe the rebate only applies to a round trip, originating in the USA. In my case the two one ways made a round trip US - LHR, LHR to US. I think you did not qualify for the rebate because it was not a round trip.

As others have said, you must pay for the ticket using the BA card on which you earned the voucher.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:10 am

Thanks for your ideas.

I can’t find anywhere in the T&C fhat the ticket has to be round-trip, just USA to London.
No voucher was involved, just full one way redemption.
I am the primary CC holder too.

Chase don’t offer any help, just referal back to BA.

No response from BA online customer service or from correspondance posted to Customer Servivpce New York in June 1,2020.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:15 am

IThanks for your reply.

I used CC as primary card holder.

Chase not helpful and just refer back to BA.

No response from BA online Customer Service or from corrrespondance posted to Customer Service New Yoek on 1 June 2020!

Did you pay for the ticket with a Chase/BA credit card where you were not the primary cardholder? That as my problem! I learned an expensive lesson.

I am in a Household Account, and other bookings have earned the bonus rebate.

Have you called (or sent a secure message to) Chase? They should be able to tell you why you haven’t received the credit. Let us know.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I see that one poster above received the $200 credit after booking a o/w UK-USA, which is contrary to the T&Cs of this benefit. Has anyone else had this experience? I know the reward fees are coded in a particular way, so Chase know they are reward fees, but I'm curious to know how Chase are aware the details of the itinerary. I assumed it was automatically triggered after the transaction, based on the charge code. Do they really request itinerary details and read through the flight origin and destination before doing a manual processing of this benefit?
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
…I'm curious to know how Chase are aware the details of the itinerary…?
My statements have always had additional basic itinerary details relating to each ticket number, not just for BA but other airlines too. The details don't appear when viewing activity online, only on the statements, whether the PDF or paper version. There's some extra metadata that must be transmitted with airline ticket type purchases - I've even had it for an excess baggage MCO from AA. Chase are either getting enough information from that to run some kind of automated process, or they're getting a regular report from BA for transactions on BA Chase Visa cards in certain booking codes.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Old thread, but I just signed up for this card for the first time with this benefit and I want to make sure I have it down (after reading everything above)...
In order to receive the credit:
1) Flight must be on BA metal and originate in the US
2) Trip can be OW or RT.
3) Book two tickets separately to receive the rebate for two different people on the same flight.
4) Must be logged into the card holder's BA account when booking and use the card holder's BA CC to pay the fees (doesn't matter if using Household Account)

After reading the entire thread, it seems like 4) might be the most problematic/easiest to mess up.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by fredc84
I want to make sure I have it down (after reading everything above)...
Sounds like you've got it ...in theory!
fredc84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.