Search

Damaged suitcase after flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Damaged suitcase after flight

Hi,

On Friday, I was on the BA 293 from LHR-IAD, Washington DC. Upon collection of my suitcase, I stood it up and realised it had basically buckled under me and nearly dropped to the floor, upon further inspection there was quite a big hole/crack in the left side of the suitcase and one of the wheels was completely missing. This had clearly happened on the transit of the suitcase as there had been no issue before. Spoke to the baggage services lady at IAD and she suggested filling out a form and I had 7 days to do so online. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this and whether I should expect BA to cough anything up?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Hi,

On Friday, I was on the BA 293 from LHR-IAD, Washington DC. Upon collection of my suitcase, I stood it up and realised it had basically buckled under me and nearly dropped to the floor, upon further inspection there was quite a big hole/crack in the left side of the suitcase and one of the wheels was completely missing. This had clearly happened on the transit of the suitcase as there had been no issue before. Spoke to the baggage services lady at IAD and she suggested filling out a form and I had 7 days to do so online. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this and whether I should expect BA to cough anything up?

Thanks
I've no direct experience myself but here's a few older threads on the same subject which might help and the link to ba.com

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/lost-and-damaged-baggage/making-baggage-claims.

Incredible response from BA to damaged suitcase
Damaged Luggage on BA Flight
BA damaged baggage replaced with much worse, smaller suitcase - what to do?
New BA policies on damaged luggage. A joke?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a matter of the Montreal Convention, its own COC, and customer service, BA will offer to repair, replace, or settle up for some reasonable sum. It sounds as though yours is either being replaced or paid off.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Honestly it’s not the most amazing suitcase and I think I bought it for £100 or so a year or two back. I’d be grateful if BA would cough up even a third or half of this, mostly for the inconvenience of using public transport and wondering around with a 3 wheeled suitcase!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I had a similar issue on Saturday - case zip was completely busted open. I reported it at the airport and was given a case reference to track on airlinebags.co.uk - however, nothing is showing on there at the moment.

I fully expect them to offer a new case given the relatively low value of this one and the cost of repairing it. I am somewhat more concerned that some of the items are missing (lost) from the case.

Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Hi,

Thanks
Rotten luck! What type of wheel was it? Was it the spinner type that protrude from the case or the inline skate type that stick out of the case a bit?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Had something similar outbound to the US - the BA rep on arrival advised that I should buy a new case as the damaged one would not be suitable for the return leg. I think I got a reference number and pursued the claim when I got back to UK. The initial response was to direct me to the UK replacement luggage supplier and I had to point out that I had already purchased a new case. I sent in receipts and BA paid in full for the replacement case.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
Rotten luck! What type of wheel was it? Was it the spinner type that protrude from the case or the inline skate type that stick out of the case a bit?
Regular spinner type on a large suitcase. Although I am no suitcase wheel expert
BingBongBoy and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Random events like this can be a PITA. Mercifully our only one was at JER airport on the way home ... but one of a ‘nesting pair’ which obviously wasn’t the replacement item from BA.

One reason we only ever buy relatively cheap cases* ... we regard them as ‘disposable items’ and just part of travel costs.

* Indeed, we’re on a ‘shopping fortnight’ in the IAD area very soon. We may even pop into one of those clearance places ( T J Maxx etc.) and replace the current ‘big ones’ ... at about $70-$90 each. That’s where this pair came from, about 8+ years ago.
The_Bouncer, Oxnardjan and freQ like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I have had experience of BA and a damaged case.

Similar to yours in style, a relatively expensive (£350 mark) Samsonite hard shell 4 wheel spinner style case, came off the belt at LHR missing a wheel that had been snapped off.

Lady filled out a form and gave me a reference number, and I think a couple of days later, I was contacted (be email I think) by the company that handles all BA baggage stuff, offering me the choice of a replacement or a repair. I opted to repair as it was only a wheel to be replaced, so they then emailed me a label to print out and tape to the side of the bag, and 2 days later it was collected by a courier, and about 5 days after that, it came back with a new wheel on it.

If it had of been a cheaper case, or it was not part of a set of three, I would have probably just had it replaced, but they were amenable to doing whichever I wanted, so all was good.
dddc and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I have had experience of BA and a damaged case.

Similar to yours in style, a relatively expensive (£350 mark) Samsonite hard shell 4 wheel spinner style case, came off the belt at LHR missing a wheel that had been snapped off.

Lady filled out a form and gave me a reference number, and I think a couple of days later, I was contacted (be email I think) by the company that handles all BA baggage stuff, offering me the choice of a replacement or a repair. I opted to repair as it was only a wheel to be replaced, so they then emailed me a label to print out and tape to the side of the bag, and 2 days later it was collected by a courier, and about 5 days after that, it came back with a new wheel on it.

If it had of been a cheaper case, or it was not part of a set of three, I would have probably just had it replaced, but they were amenable to doing whichever I wanted, so all was good.
Exact same experience here but with an American Tourister large case on its very first outing. They were very good and even matched the exact aquamarine wheel.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Similar things have happened, although in my most recent case it was a cracked body on a suitcase while I was travelling to relatively hard to access area of Sicily and moving around. I was authorised to buy whatever I liked and have it reimbursed to the agreed value because it was too awkward to have it collected for repair and to have it sent back.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: F
Briggs and Riley. Lifetime unlimited warranty. Have had wheels ripped off, struts pulled off, zips damaged, handles broken ... just goes for a free repair. Repair centre agent looking up suitcase ID: "oh, gosh, we have seen that one a few times haven't we!"
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
I had a similar issue on Saturday - case zip was completely busted open. I reported it at the airport and was given a case reference to track on airlinebags.co.uk - however, nothing is showing on there at the moment.

I fully expect them to offer a new case given the relatively low value of this one and the cost of repairing it. I am somewhat more concerned that some of the items are missing (lost) from the case.

To update. Received a call this morning. Confirmed details and a replacement case of similar standard should be with me tomorrow.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Not sure all these experiences are all entirely similar to the OP - given the home location. I assume he or she is away from home, so a replacement sent to him at home won't really help. He needs to obtain a new suitcase out there and for BA to cough up later. Which, I am pleased to say, worked for me in the same situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.