Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA baggage allowance and other perks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
BA baggage allowance and other perks

Flying LHR to LYS in economy(not basic economy or equivalent). I've booked my wife with AA miles as only one seat at saver level has come up. It may work to my advantage to book a paid ticket(for AA earning) as my projections have my EQDs about $100 short. So, obviously we'd be on separate tickets.

My wife has no status, I'm EXP with AA so Emerald Oneworld. If my research is correct I have a baggage allowance of 2 bags up to 70 lbs(32Kg), is this correct? So if we've got the two bags then I'd just put on me, no issues then if so.

I believe I'd be able to enter the First or Business Galleries lounges on this ticket and bring one guest as well, correct? What about the other terminal 3 options, would I have access to CP, Qantas, others? We will be getting off an AA flight from LAX to LHR on a separate ticket that same day.

I'd assume my wife's ticket would be well down the list for boarding but assume she'd be able to board with me with priority due to my Emerald status, correct?

Anything I'm missing that could be an issue booking these tickets separately as I've indicated?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Flying LHR to LYS in economy(not basic economy or equivalent). I've booked my wife with AA miles as only one seat at saver level has come up. It may work to my advantage to book a paid ticket(for AA earning) as my projections have my EQDs about $100 short. So, obviously we'd be on separate tickets.

My wife has no status, I'm EXP with AA so Emerald Oneworld. If my research is correct I have a baggage allowance of 2 bags up to 70 lbs(32Kg), is this correct? So if we've got the two bags then I'd just put on me, no issues then if so.

I believe I'd be able to enter the First or Business Galleries lounges on this ticket and bring one guest as well, correct? What about the other terminal 3 options, would I have access to CP, Qantas, others? We will be getting off an AA flight from LAX to LHR on a separate ticket that same day.

I'd assume my wife's ticket would be well down the list for boarding but assume she'd be able to board with me with priority due to my Emerald status, correct?

Anything I'm missing that could be an issue booking these tickets separately as I've indicated?
If you book separately and your wife does not have status, your wife will not be able to pre-select a seat (for free). It is possible that something called Theoretical Seating will proactively block the seat next to you due to your status, thus preventing your wife from sitting next to you if choosing a seat at online checkin! Edit to add: You may be able as an Emerald to get BA to ‘TCP’ (To Complete Party) (link) the bookings to enable access to free seat allocation. I had thought this was BA Gold only but this thread from CWS suggests otherwise & I would always defer to his knowledge.

Otherwise, correct on luggage allowance, correct on F lounge + guest access. You and a guest can also access other OneWorld lounges in T3. If you like food the consensus seems to be Cathay. I personally favour the Qantas lounge, up the stairs there is a good gin bar, if your thing! Boarding, if you go up together there shouldn’t be an issue - but your Boarding pass will say GROUP 1, whereas your wife is likely to be in Group 4 or 5.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Aug 25, 2019 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

If you book separately and your wife does not have status, your wife will not be able to pre-select a seat (for free). It is possible that something called Theoretical Seating will proactively block the seat next to you due to your status, thus preventing your wife from sitting next to you if choosing a seat at online checkin! Edit to add: You may be able as an Emerald to get BA to ‘TCP’ (To Complete Party) (link) the bookings to enable access to free seat allocation. I had thought this was BA Gold only but this thread from CWS suggests otherwise & I would always defer to his knowledge.

Otherwise, correct on luggage allowance, correct on F lounge + guest access. You and a guest can also access other OneWorld lounges in T3. If you like food the consensus seems to be Cathay. I personally favour the Qantas lounge, up the stairs there is a good gin bar, if your thing! Boarding, if you go up together there shouldn’t be an issue - but your Boarding pass will say GROUP 1, whereas your wife is likely to be in Group 4 or 5.
thanks! But would it be at all possible to link the bookings given she’s on a AA miles booking? I did that so I could cancel as an EXP without charge but maybe I should just cancel it and rebook as BA Miles flight? That would make it likely I assume, best done on the phone together.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
I’ve done this a few times when I used to be an EXP on AA.

1) there’s no way to link to separate locator together, however you can always call AA or BA to put in comments that two tickets are “related” just in case of IRROPS.

2) in term of seatings, just call AA or BA, even if she is in a separate ticket, as long she is travel on the same flight same date and Same cabin you can request seat for her free of charge. Per BA website, yes this is for gold benefits but emerald is the same “
  • free seat selection from the time of booking for your whole party on British Airways flights – even friends and family on other bookings, as long as they’re in the same travel class and on the same flight* plus exclusive access to 1A and 1K when travelling in First for the Gold Member only”
3) you actually get 3 checked bags total 70 lbs each. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.