LHR to BKK upgrade from WT to WT+

Old Aug 24, 19, 8:04 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
LHR to BKK upgrade from WT to WT+

Hi

Not a long hall flyer ( user name gives a clue ) last time I flew long hall was back in the 80's .... I have no status with BA ( or any airline )

Booked LHR to BKK in WT. Its a night flight so was hoping for sleep ( and booked a "good" hotel to recover before onward travel next day )

Been offered an upgrade to WT+ for £265 on MMB - Flight is in a few days. Price of this upgrade has been slowly falling over the past month. The upgrade one way price is almost what we paid for the return flight.
I am assuming that the WT cabin will be almost full.

Questions :

It it "worth" the extra per person ? ( £ 1200 total ) Have no experience of WT or WT+ so "flying blind". I can not justify it on better meal - think the plane is 20 years or so old and 3 3 3 configuration. Not even chosen seats yet ....

Would it be better to wait for a possible upgrade at airport ?

Other Half wants to upgrade, I want to spend the extra in better hotels. We can stay a lot of nights in good hotels on our next long hall trip for £1200 is it going to be "so" much better flying WT+ ?

I know it is subjective, but money is always a deciding factor. In an ideal world I would have booked First.

Just looking for reasons and experience of others to inform my decision. At the moment I am very reluctant.
I looked on the upgrade wiki but info is out of date for this route.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Stick where you are. WTP is a joke unless you need the points for renewal.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:35 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
There are some good deals knocking about at the moment so i'd also be tempted to look into the price for a CW seat outright.

We just canx a booking to JFK and rebooked into club as it had become decidedly cheaper than WT+ admittedly it was an avios booking so we only had to pay £35 penalty. IF there's a good deal to be had it's always worth calling them up and saying you'd like to canx and book club instead and just stick to your guns about them making more money out of you so you want the other canx for minimal / no penalty. It's not guaranteed but if you dont try you dont know
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:55 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Thanks.

Will not be flying enough for any form of status.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I don’t mean to sound flippant but you have kind of answered your question when you said money is a deciding factor as ideally you would have booked First - whether an upgrade is worth it is very subjective! Nobody ‘needs’ an upgrade and it is hard to rationalise spending two / three / four times the cost of the cheapest option on purely economic terms.

I think the 3-3-3 config in WT isn’t too bad and I find WT+ pretty poor on these aircraft BUT of course if it is a busy flight there is always the chance of a free opup to Club from WT+.

Do not underestimate the benefit of a separate, quieter cabin & the extra space, however, on how you may feel on arrival. It might make the difference between arriving and feeling like a zombie (thus wasting first day - so you’ve paid for a day you can’t enjoy) or feeling good to go!

Also, if the OH wants to do it, do factor in the benefit of not having the “if only we’d upgraded...” comments throughout the flight!

Old Aug 24, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post

Also, if the OH wants to do it, do factor in the benefit of not having the “if only we’d upgraded...” comments throughout the flight!

THE deciding factor in such circumstances, lest any and all niggles and/or problems no matter how trivial be forever held against you. Plus if said hotel isn't up to scratch you have the defense of "well you wanted the club flights"
IntVic and mnhusker like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had a WT ticket on BA9 in June. I had a bulkhead seat and my IFE didn’t work. Once in the air I got moved to the only spare WT+ seat which was also a bulkhead. It was fine but I don’t feel it’s really worth the extra. The upgrade offer at check in was £300 something and I didn’t want to pay that and glad I didn’t. The only reason I would have paid is if I needed the TP’s.

If you do go WT, at the galley at the back they should setup drinks and snacks with a basket of earplugs, eyeshades and socks, at least they did on the BA10 on the way back
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I am happy in WT+ but when planning to book a ticket for OH and spoke of virtues of WT+ and day flights to USA, and the good value etc, she looked at me like "are you crazy?"
She is now booked in CW.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Save your money, really not worth it on these aircraft
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Personally I wouldn't bother paying to upgrade from Y to W, W to J yes but that's a different prospect. As you say, an additional £1200 towards the hotel budget will go a long way.
PETER01 and hotel_user like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
On those old birds the best upgrade is the one to a different carrier.
IntVic likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew Club yesterday on a 32J Gatwick 777, the WTP cabin looked fantastic. I’d certainly book that in the future as often £700 return to Florida off peak. I would also pay from Y a reasonable amount for that product

Search this Thread
Search Engine: