Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA179 [LHR-JFK, 24 Aug, B77W G-STBB] Emergency landing at Shannon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:30 pm
J S
Original Poster

BA179 (LHR-JFK) made an emergency landing at SNN after reports of an “acrid smell” in the rear of the cabin. All Pax currently sitting in the departures lounge with no information. Any suggestions from the wise BA experts on this board?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well, the last time I heard of this, the passengers ended up being given hotels locally. I note that the Park Inn, a somewhat traditional style hotel across the car park from SNN, is sold out tonight, but that could be a coincidence rather than BA buying up all the available rooms. It's a bit late now to continue over the Atlantic, I would have thought, and the aircraft has been there 3 hours already. The other possibility, if it's not fixed quickly, is being returned to London.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Apparently fire related

British Airways Boeing 777-36NER G-STBB operating BA179 London Heathrow – New York JFK was to the west of Sligo this evening when it turned and diverted to Shannon due to a fire indication.
British Airways B777-300ER G-STBB BA179 Shannon Technical Diversion. The BA Source
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by J S
BA179 (LHR-JFK) made an emergency landing at SNN after reports of an “acrid smell” in the rear of the cabin. All Pax currently sitting in the departures lounge with no information. Any suggestions from the wise BA experts on this board?
Fire indication seems to be the reason on BA Source.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:38 pm
J S
Original Poster

Thanks!!! Not sure I can decide on hotel until we have some indication of what BA plans.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by J S
Thanks!!! Not sure I can decide on hotel until we have some indication of what BA plans.
The area isn't that well served by hotels, so I'm hoping the delay would be due to them sorting out hotels for you, Co. Clare is not the sort of place you can leave it to self initiative. One of the largest places in the area was recently visited by the POTUS, presumably because his name is on the front door. But Doonbeg is 25 miles away.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:44 pm
J S
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Fire indication seems to be the reason on BA Source.
There was an “acrid smell” in the back of the galley. Dumped fuel and landed. ARFF responded and surrounded the plane with 5 trucks which were all still there when pax deplaned by jetway with all hand baggage. No word since then.

At first, all power was killed to seats and entertainment system. There was no word to the pax, but it was quickly obvious that this was not simply resetting avod since the cabin crew became slightly manic collecting glasses, etc. Please don't take this as criticism of the cabin crew, however. I give them very high marks.
george77300 and argonath like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by J S

There was an “acrid smell” in the back of the galley. Dumped fuel and landed. ARFF responded and surrounded the plane with 5 trucks which were all still there when pax deplaned by jetway with all hand baggage. No word since then.

At first, all power was killed to seats and entertainment system. There was no word to the pax, but it was quickly obvious that this was not simply resetting avod since the cabin crew became slightly manic collecting glasses, etc. Please don't take this as criticism of the cabin crew, however. I give them very high marks.
On a plus side at least everyone is safe, as already had been said trying to find beds for a 777 load of stranded passengers isn't goo g to be quick or easy sadly. I'm guessing too late in the day for them to send another frame/crew,
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:38 pm

FYI:

There are five US departures from SNN tomorrow.

AA to PHL is all zeros
EI to JFK is J4 and zeros
DL to JFK has seats
EI to BOS J4 and zeros
UA to EWR has seats

It looks like most people will be relying on BA for a new plane or re-routing via LON.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
FYI:

There are five US departures from SNN tomorrow.

AA to PHL is all zeros
EI to JFK is J4 and zeros
DL to JFK has seats
EI to BOS J4 and zeros
UA to EWR has seats

It looks like most people will be relying on BA for a new plane or re-routing via LON.
Coach up to Dublin could give more options... Wonder if they could pop a few CW pass on the BA1 when it stops for fuel had it been operating.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many years ago I was on a 747 that diverted to Shannon. I ended up in a lovely country house inn on the outskirts of a pleasant historic village that was about an hour's drive (by chartered coach) from the airport. It took them most of the day to sort out the arrangements (while we waited in the airport and were fed there) and passengers were forced to share rooms.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:01 pm

BA flight status suggests its heading back to LHR, eta 2330.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
BA flight status suggests its heading back to LHR, eta 2330.
Seems to have gone to LGW
Schwann likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:10 pm
J S
Original Poster

Will post more later today when I have some rest, but yes, we went to LGW. The a/c landed heavy even after dumping fuel. LHR was willing to let the plane land until 1am, but due to the checks required after landing over weight, we didn't depart SNN until close to 1am, so they sent the plane to LGW, then shipped us all to LHR (although no coaches had been arranged). Oh, and when we landed at LGW, the plane was so heavy in the tail relative to the forward sections, they would not let the pax off until they had unloaded cargo from the rear to prevent the plane from tipping back on its tail.

When flight landed in LGW, virtually no pax had been rebooked, no rebooking assistance was available and no information.

I give very high marks to the crew for handling the inflight emergency and the way the pilot spoke to pax around 23:00 in the departures lounge at SNN, but the ground staff, operations and rebooking fell extremely short.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:30 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by J S
but the ground staff, operations and rebooking fell extremely short.
No change there then
LGWClosedAgain and Deanog1976 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.