T5 Lounge why so Warm?

Old Aug 24, 19, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
T5 Lounge why so Warm?

i mean yes its a hot one today in london...but walking into T5 was a dream, it was so cool until i got to the flounge of course.

why do they always keep it so warm? im almost tempted to hang out in the terminal! well not that tempted...
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I don't know, it's also a gripe of mine. At least the business centre is a bit cooler
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:02 am
Original Poster

i know its generally rather warm in here on normal days...but since i generally run warm, its VERY evident today!
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Poor design and layout of the aircon units, which they have tried to disguise in the building's design. The Plaza Premium lounge has a huge unit stuck in the middle of it and the staff are permanently freezing cold there. It was designed to cover a bigger area but they then partitioned it off into the lounge retrofit, reducing the footprint. The coolest other spots are North security upper departures, and South lower departures, by the shoe shine booth. If you go to either location you'll see how they hide the HVACs.
nancypants and pacenotes like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:24 am
Original Poster

LOL will keep an eye out for them!!
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:42 am

Or bring a small fan to have on the table I never travel without a fan in my bag, very handy to have on the plane also.
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:09 am

CCR ex’s too hot today as well. Design failure, too much glass
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
In the T5 lounges they use ‘chilled beams’ in the ceiling rather than the big air handling units seen elsewhere in T5. Look out for the plain white beam-like things separating the areas of ceiling - these are what provide the cooling. It it always too warm in there (for me) though. The area around the business centre and champagne bar seem consistently coolest.
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
The T5 underground tunnels are always a 'cool' place to be
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bluekjp View Post
The T5 underground tunnels are always a 'cool' place to be
Do they serve Champagne there also?
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz View Post

Do they serve Champagne there also?
only if you knock on the door of a maintenance room
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The architects ignored the thermal modelling when designing the building, so it's always too hot.

I have been too hot in T5 in the day, in the night, when sunny, when overcast, in the summer, in the winter, and when it has been snowing with ice and snow on the ground and flights cancelled and it was still too hot.

Get a heavily iced glass of water and alternate a glass of water with each glass of wine, and it's tolerable.
nancypants and florens like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Female a/c hater here! I love the T5 lounge as it's one of the few indoor places in the UK (slight exaggeration) which doesn't blast freezing air on everyone. I don't get the constant need for aircon in a mostly cool country. I am based in Kuwait at the moment, and while they do go completely over the top with the a/c (at like 19 degrees (wind chill factor = 12 degrees), and then they just give heaters to those people who find it too cold) you can see why people feel like they need it. I do feel for the males during these hot days though - why do you have to wear suit, ties, jacket, socks and shoes when it's 30 plus? Go on strike to be able to wear flip flops and t-shirt - we'll strike with you :-)
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Yeah that's the issue. I understand people who are always cold (mother) but you can later up as opposed to us who are hot and well, only so many layers we can strip down to in public!
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Never too warm for me.i guess it depends where you come from .....
Duck1981 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: