Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:01 pm

If my flight is cancelled back home from Paphos to LGW will BA rebook me onto a Lufthansa connecting flight back home even though from Larnaca Cyprus but back to LHR still in Business class if CE booked? Just times etc and baggage allowance suit me. Will they pay or do I and then claim it back, just seems quite pricey that's all. Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
If my flight is cancelled back home from Paphos to LGW will BA rebook me onto a Lufthansa connecting flight back home even though from Larnaca Cyprus but back to LHR still in Business class if CE booked? Just times etc and baggage allowance suit me. Will they pay or do I and then claim it back, just seems quite pricey that's all. Thanks
If your flight is cancelled then BA will rebook you on any of the list of airlines noted in the wiki in the same cabin you originally booked in. Do not book something separately, speak to BA first.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by KARFA
If your flight is cancelled then BA will rebook you on any of the list of airlines noted in the wiki in the same cabin you originally booked in. Do not book something separately, speak to BA first.
What does “trade rebookings not permitted” mean for LH/LX? Does this mean it’s case by case rather than blanker ok?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:34 pm

Thanks didn't fully understand the list so is Lufthansa ok? And their Business is the same as BA CE? Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
Thanks didn't fully understand the list so is Lufthansa ok?
The wiki suggests yes.

And their Business is the same as BA CE? Thanks
It's the typical intra-European business class.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:04 pm

Many thanks for clarifying it's still all a bit of a mystery to me!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by rogue99
What instructions did you get for claiming the extra hotel night? My 9 p.m. LAX-LHR-Tel Aviv flight on 9/27 was cancelled and I rebooked on an earlier flight that same day. I'll get into Tel Aviv a night earlier than originally and need to find out how to submit the hotel expense to BA.
Deleted.

c-w-s explained it further up which I didn't see.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not always, I was rebooked on Aer Lingus in lowest Economy bucket even though i was originally in Business. No lounge access now
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by melanddave
Not always, I was rebooked on Aer Lingus in lowest Economy bucket even though i was originally in Business. No lounge access now
Is that because EI has no business cabin though?

If this is a DUB-LHR or LHR-DUB route you will get lounge access to the EI lounge by virtue of your BA silver card - there is an agreement in place for that route with BA and EI.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone have experience of a rebook onto LNER?

I was flying CE to NCL on the 27th, managed to get rebooked by BA, over the phone, onto the KGX - NCL train. Phone agent said I would be booked into 1st class on LNER however on MMB it says economy as the class of travel?
Is this a glitch?
Any idea how you actually get your(I assume) e-ticket?

As an aside - having done my homework already I had identified the direct NCL train I was looking for. The agent firstly tried to send me via Leeds then, when I asked about the direct train- had to get supervisor approval for the direct train.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by decowie1903
Does anyone have experience of a rebook onto LNER?

I was flying CE to NCL on the 27th, managed to get rebooked by BA, over the phone, onto the KGX - NCL train. Phone agent said I would be booked into 1st class on LNER however on MMB it says economy as the class of travel?
Is this a glitch?
Any idea how you actually get your(I assume) e-ticket?

As an aside - having done my homework already I had identified the direct NCL train I was looking for. The agent firstly tried to send me via Leeds then, when I asked about the direct train- had to get supervisor approval for the direct train.
***edit - need to read the forum 1st***
I definitely dont have a link in MMB that I can see for my ticket.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:57 am

If you have your LNER code you could try the automated ticket machines or as a last resort the travel centre under the departures board by the Harry Potter wall.

If BA have put you in economy just pay on the train and send the bill to BA.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by decowie1903
***edit - need to read the forum 1st***
I definitely dont have a link in MMB that I can see for my ticket.
Judging from an earlier post from Geordie_Flyer, there should be some sort of check-in link. Now it wasn't totally clear but it seems that was in MMB, and/or there may have been something in the email.

From what I can make out, it is built on an existing relationship that BA has with First Great Western. It has long been possible to book services from (e.g.) Exeter to Shanghai with a train sector on BA. So FGW appears to be used as a mechanism already in place, only drawing on National Rail sectors. Online check in for the flights is the normal process, but for the train (and coach) components OLCI starts at 72 hours. Incidentally train sectors do not normally award Avios or TPs so this will be an ORC, and we are now told that you do the ORC by claiming using the usual link in BA.com for missing credits on BAEC.

Does this link help? Use your surname and BA PNR.

https://check-in.accesrail.com/#/step1

Maybe one day BA can expand this a bit more for wider train + plane use UK wide.
EDIflyer and alex67500 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Judging from an earlier post from Geordie_Flyer, there should be some sort of check-in link. Now it wasn't totally clear but it seems that was in MMB, and/or there may have been something in the email.

From what I can make out, it is built on an existing relationship that BA has with First Great Western. It has long been possible to book services from (e.g.) Exeter to Shanghai with a train sector on BA. So FGW appears to be used as a mechanism already in place, only drawing on National Rail sectors. Online check in for the flights is the normal process, but for the train (and coach) components OLCI starts at 72 hours. Incidentally train sectors do not normally award Avios or TPs so this will be an ORC, and we are now told that you do the ORC by claiming using the usual link in BA.com for missing credits on BAEC.

Does this link help? Use your surname and BA PNR.

https://check-in.accesrail.com/#/step1

Maybe one day BA can expand this a bit more for wider train + plane use UK wide.
Both GWR and LNER both award nectar points for a little double dip.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From what I can make out, it is built on an existing relationship that BA has with First Great Western. It has long been possible to book services from (e.g.) Exeter to Shanghai with a train sector on BA. So FGW appears to be used as a mechanism already in place, only drawing on National Rail sectors. Online check in for the flights is the normal process, but for the train (and coach) components
(...)
This works very well in Germany (with LH) and France (with AF). SXB lost most, if not all, its AF flights to Paris, relying on HS trains between Strasbourg and CDG instead. You can even check your luggage at Strasbourg station IIRC. But the important point here is that FRA and CDG both have their own HS line station.

If only HS2 had an extension to LHR...
(Sorry, a bit O/T)
EDIflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.