Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Planning for future

If Ba cancels a flight outside the 14 day window what are your options : rebook only on BA or other airlines at BA’s expense?
if on BA and it’s originally a reward booking does there have to be reward space or just “space” in the cabin on another flight
if the cancellation is within the 14 days how does this change things
sorry if it’s been answered I just can’t find it anywhere
we have several reward flights coming up in Oct and Nov
thanks
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
If Ba cancels a flight outside the 14 day window what are your options : rebook only on BA or other airlines at BA’s expense?
if on BA and it’s originally a reward booking does there have to be reward space or just “space” in the cabin on another flight
if the cancellation is within the 14 days how does this change things
sorry if it’s been answered I just can’t find it anywhere
we have several reward flights coming up in Oct and Nov
thanks
The difference between cancelling within 14 days or not is whether additional compensation is payable, not the rebooking options.
BA has been offering a wide range of non-BA carriers for cancelled flight during the strike period, even when flights are cancelled more than 14 days out. As long as the rebook flight has a seat in the same cabin, you will be able to get rebooked on. All requires no additional payment from you.
The compensation should not be confused with Right of Care, which BA is responsible even when flights are cancelled 14+ days out
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by marcolau317
The difference between cancelling within 14 days or not is whether additional compensation is payable, not the rebooking options.
BA has been offering a wide range of non-BA carriers for cancelled flight during the strike period, even when flights are cancelled more than 14 days out. As long as the rebook flight has a seat in the same cabin, you will be able to get rebooked on. All requires no additional payment from you.
The compensation should not be confused with Right of Care, which BA is responsible even when flights are cancelled 14+ days out
Thank you very much. Very helpful
we don’t really have much interest in compensation for flights cancelled that are rebooked with reasonable flights I.e. same or similar cabin (business class) and on the same day or a day or so either side. We just want to get “there and back” as close to or on the same day. And that should be manageable and your explanation says that will almost certainly happen even if it’s with another airline : although I gather as long as it’s a one world partner there should be no problem getting rebooked. However if it’s a competitor ie Air Canada from a Canadian city that could be a bit of an issue and require some convincing to have them do that. There are no other one world partners from Canada that fly to London. Would have to be via a USA city. NY or another east coast city and that where the inconvenience comes into play. I guess we wait to see how it plays out and if we are affected we either wait a day or two if possible with Ba or fight hard for same day via a non one world carrier. Arguing next available seat in same cabin is with them.....

Last edited by aircrashsurvivor; Sep 13, 2019 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Just a note...

When the option appeared in MMB I 'requested a full refund' for one of my TATL bookings (with a return leg on the 27th). I then made a fresh booking with altered dates. That was 24th Aug. It did warn it would take a while to process, but still no refund as of today - plus worringley I received a cancelled email regarding the 27th leg. Called YouFirst and was told they had NO record at all of a refund request, but she processed it over the phone quickly.

If anyone else is relying on having filled out the strike related 'request a full refund' form, you may want to chase it up. Once the outbound has gone, it may simply show you as a no-show and be a mess to sort out.
Blueboys999 and calebu2 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by marcolau317
Great info in this post and this thread I general. I have a question regarding rebooking based on cabin: traveling with family, 4 of us together in outbound MIA-DEL but coming back two different dates in November DEL-MIA, so hopefully everything will, be taken care of by then. However if one of our travel dates is affected, how does BA rebook us if we are traveling in paid F (A fare) and none of their partners offer F on this route. Will they rebook passengers on LH or LX? Or would you suggest requesting JAL or CX though Asia? Or do they rebook in J and offer some kind of compensation?
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by sharplea
Ended up on BA2277 from LGW-LAS the day before, with instructions to claim the extra hotel night after the trip has finished. The 10am AA flight was full by the time I'd got through. Can't fault the call centre, did excellent work.
What instructions did you get for claiming the extra hotel night? My 9 p.m. LAX-LHR-Tel Aviv flight on 9/27 was cancelled and I rebooked on an earlier flight that same day. I'll get into Tel Aviv a night earlier than originally and need to find out how to submit the hotel expense to BA.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Just a note...

When the option appeared in MMB I 'requested a full refund' for one of my TATL bookings (with a return leg on the 27th). I then made a fresh booking with altered dates. That was 24th Aug. It did warn it would take a while to process, but still no refund as of today - plus worringley I received a cancelled email regarding the 27th leg. Called YouFirst and was told they had NO record at all of a refund request, but she processed it over the phone quickly.

If anyone else is relying on having filled out the strike related 'request a full refund' form, you may want to chase it up. Once the outbound has gone, it may simply show you as a no-show and be a mess to sort out.
Not unlike my situation posted above. All it would take is some form of cancellation email or online receipt of the request but neither is forthcoming at the moment. I think your advice to chase it up is well founded and I’ll be doing just that.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just reporting back on my experience. Flew YVR-LHR-GLA on Sept 10th/11th, which had originally been canceled then reinstated. I must be really slow because it JUST occurred to me that my flight departing YVR was at 8:55 pm on the 10th and therefore the strike was already over UK time and that's why my flight was the only one of the twice daily YVR-LHR flights on the 9th and 10th that made it out. I suppose the pilots/plane were also already in YVR which helped, but if there are others who have evening outbound flights on the 27th from the west coast, hopefully your flights are safe too =)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:10 pm

I had a BA holiday booking BOS->LHR on the 28th cancelled (the day flight). 20 mins wait on silver line and managed to get rebooked onto AA BOS-JFK-LHR, still on day flights.
Only issue is I've been booked across to AA on a 'B' code which AA interpret as Basic economy, so I cant book a seat (and more crucially claim my free MCE seat). I phoned up and had no success with either BA or the clueless AA agent she transferred me to eventually. AA twitter no help either - any suggestions on how to resolve?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Yesterday I phoned BA regarding a flight that I had booked from Vancouver to Prague leaving YVR on the 27th. I thought that the Heathrow to Prague segment might be cancelled because it was no longer available for booking. This proved to be correct and the very helpful agent suggested moving both flights one day ahead. We decided to do that. A short time later a "Travel document" arrived showing both the original booking and the new booking. Since then, I've checked MMB and it shows all 4 flights with a line through the 1st LHR to Prague leg. I haven't received new or amended E-Tickets.

My question is whether this seems OK in view of the circumstances and should I expect that MMB will be sorted out eventually and that I will get new E-tickets in the next few day or should I be phoning BA again?

Many thanks for advice
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Thank you very much. Very helpful
we don’t really have much interest in compensation for flights cancelled that are rebooked with reasonable flights I.e. same or similar cabin (business class) and on the same day or a day or so either side. We just want to get “there and back” as close to or on the same day. And that should be manageable and your explanation says that will almost certainly happen even if it’s with another airline : although I gather as long as it’s a one world partner there should be no problem getting rebooked. However if it’s a competitor ie Air Canada from a Canadian city that could be a bit of an issue and require some convincing to have them do that. There are no other one world partners from Canada that fly to London. Would have to be via a USA city. NY or another east coast city and that where the inconvenience comes into play. I guess we wait to see how it plays out and if we are affected we either wait a day or two if possible with Ba or fight hard for same day via a non one world carrier. Arguing next available seat in same cabin is with them.....
Just for your information, as your case is a hypothetical one:
Air Canada is indeed included in the rebook options list for Europe, Middle East, Africa & India to: YUL, YYZ, YOW, YVR, YYC routing

As long as the alternative airline is in the rebook list, BA telephone agents will be able to get you rebook without hassle. There were only a few reports of getting difficulties for this matter, but they all got dealt with in the end.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Great info in this post and this thread I general. I have a question regarding rebooking based on cabin: traveling with family, 4 of us together in outbound MIA-DEL but coming back two different dates in November DEL-MIA, so hopefully everything will, be taken care of by then. However if one of our travel dates is affected, how does BA rebook us if we are traveling in paid F (A fare) and none of their partners offer F on this route. Will they rebook passengers on LH or LX? Or would you suggest requesting JAL or CX though Asia? Or do they rebook in J and offer some kind of compensation?
For these 2 rounds of strike, LH, LX, JL and CX are all rebookable (LH/LX need to be rebooked by BA direct, not travel agents). If you end up travelling in J instead of F, you will need to speak to BA after completing the travel for fare recalculation to see if refund is payable
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by RTLS
Yesterday I phoned BA regarding a flight that I had booked from Vancouver to Prague leaving YVR on the 27th. I thought that the Heathrow to Prague segment might be cancelled because it was no longer available for booking. This proved to be correct and the very helpful agent suggested moving both flights one day ahead. We decided to do that. A short time later a "Travel document" arrived showing both the original booking and the new booking. Since then, I've checked MMB and it shows all 4 flights with a line through the 1st LHR to Prague leg. I haven't received new or amended E-Tickets.

My question is whether this seems OK in view of the circumstances and should I expect that MMB will be sorted out eventually and that I will get new E-tickets in the next few day or should I be phoning BA again?

Many thanks for advice
Comments in this thread suggest that if you call up to rebook flights, new ticket should be issued with the new booking email received before or just shortly after the call is completed.
In your case, try call BA again to see if the ticket has been reissued or if the rebooking has been done.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Phil754
I had a BA holiday booking BOS->LHR on the 28th cancelled (the day flight). 20 mins wait on silver line and managed to get rebooked onto AA BOS-JFK-LHR, still on day flights.
Only issue is I've been booked across to AA on a 'B' code which AA interpret as Basic economy, so I cant book a seat (and more crucially claim my free MCE seat). I phoned up and had no success with either BA or the clueless AA agent she transferred me to eventually. AA twitter no help either - any suggestions on how to resolve?
Some people are on the same case like you. Seems that AA are not going to change things to resolve this issue (last for years now, found another thread on AA forum on this matter)

Try contact BA again to see if further rebook is possible (if flight is cancelled multiple rebook is permitted). Ask not to rebook to the B class.

If all else fails, pay for the benefits you supposed to have and reclaim them via BA Customer Relations afterwards.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
So KL is not currently on the list of bookable airlines but "agreement is pending" -- and it was on the previous list. Anybody with any sense as to how quickly they are working to close these? I have to get back from PRG-YYZ and abhor the AC balloon seats so trying to avoid by going any other way. OK is also not on the list and a bunch of the allowable carriers (e.g. SN) have their flights ex-PRG operated by OK so I'm out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.