Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Updating with my experience: flew BA733 GVA-LHR yesterday; was showing as potentially disrupted in MMB => everything went fine (from check-in through landing)

This might be some reassurance to people whose flights show as potentially disrupted in MMB on non-strike dates.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ClosetoLHR
Given that I was originally booked in F, and downgraded to J (with refund, whilst retaining lounge and baggage allowances of F) due to A350 on this route- could i ask BA to rebook me onto F on either of these carriers? Or is that pushing my luck!? (This all assumes my flight ends up cancelled which it may not be).
On the system you will now show up as a business class passenger, and you'll be rebooked acoordingly.
ClosetoLHR likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On the system you will now show up as a business class passenger, and you'll be rebooked acoordingly.
Thanks- that is fair enough, as I have no great need of the additional luggale allowance.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:40 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sjc2679
It was said this is due to potential knock on effects of the strikes so BA were permitting a move +/- a couple of days either side of the actual strike dates.
Well would this cunning plan work for some? When I booked my upcoming flight for the Thursday 26th September (the day before a strike), that day was ridiculously cheap at Ł49 one way but the Sunday 29th and Monday 30th were very expensive at around Ł280 and Ł320 respectively. So I chose the Thursday one as am fairly flexible on this trip

What would stop someone booking on a very cheap day near to a strike, no doubt priced cheap by BA because of the risk of knock-on disruption and then taking advantage of the BA offer to switch to another close-by date at no charge? Thus getting a circa Ł300 flight for Ł49?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I called the Gold line last night to change a flight. The agent claimed that there was no availability and when I challenged it he hung up on me. From the beginning of the conversation he seemed stressed and was not particularly friendly. I retried calling but was not able to get through.

The twitter team have then been able to assist me, confirmed that the flight I want to be on is indeed bookable and I will get a call today to confirm the details.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
What would stop someone booking on a very cheap day near to a strike, no doubt priced cheap by BA because of the risk of knock-on disruption and then taking advantage of the BA offer to switch to another close-by date at no charge? Thus getting a circa Ł300 flight for Ł49?
And then the strikes are cancelled... leaving you on a flight you don't want, and still needing to shell out Ł300 for the flight you really want
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by greg5
I ended up waiting about 10 minutes on the Swiss number, and then asked for a refund. So, I'm home and done now.
LOL! This made the front page of FT last night . Apparently, someone didn't make the link between me being in Helvetia (Switzerland) and calling the local Swiss number.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:35 am
BOH

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And then the strikes are cancelled... leaving you on a flight you don't want, and still needing to shell out Ł300 for the flight you really want
I think you need to re-read my post as that would not be the outcome. BA are offering to change flights on the strike dates or either side for FREE. So why would I finish up shelling out any more than my original (low) price?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lall
If you have successfully submitted the claim online, as soon as you click the SUBMIT button, you should have received a BA message on your screen confirming successful submission of your claim. There is no specific email from BA confirming this. I did this for 2 claims and each time received a message on my screen which i saved. I will try to upload the message.
Thank you. I was able to send a DM on Twitter. It took a couple of days for a reply, but the Social Media Team offered to call me (and did), and were able to process the refund there and then.
florens and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by BOH
I think you need to re-read my post as that would not be the outcome. BA are offering to change flights on the strike dates or either side for FREE. So why would I finish up shelling out any more than my original (low) price?
No. Tickets issued on or before 23rd August for flights not yet cancelled can be changed for free. If you bought your ticket after that, then BA deem that you were aware of the strike risk and therefore aren't being offered additional flexibility.

Rebooking terms are here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:47 am
BOH

Originally Posted by alexwuk
No. Tickets issued on or before 23rd August for flights not yet cancelled can be changed for free. If you bought your ticket after that, then BA deem that you were aware of the strike risk and therefore aren't being offered additional flexibility.

Rebooking terms are here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594
Well my thoughts of a cunning plan only occurred yesterday when I made a wholly new booking with the return on the 26th September, so 1 day before a strike. It was only after I made the booking, then went into MMB and noticed the return was highlighted in red and the offer to change at no cost was there. So I just went through trying a dummy change and sure enough, it will let me switch at no cost to the much, much dearer flight on Sunday 29th, at almost 5x what I paid.

Must be an IT glitch (who would have thought that on BA) but am not going to change because my plans are already fixed. Oh well
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Who writes this stuff?

Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Who writes this stuff?
The guy who works for British Airlines

icebird and ToGo21 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
shocking yet again BA reach another low
John
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
I called BA silver the day after the strikes were announced and they wouldn't let me move my flight (Amex 241 voucher in business, booked Aug 7). That's pretty annoying to see the above as it looks like we should have been able to, I guess they were still faffing all over the place and I called too soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.