Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 dayís notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 9, 19, 12:28 am
formerly samwilliams88

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Oh the joys... BA rebooked me on to Vueling as my LHR-BCN was cancelled due to strike action. Arrived at bag drop and BA had not booked a bag on the ticket with Vueling (I was NOT HBO). So now filed a claim for £44.92 with BA.
wrp96, florens, mhy and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 2:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40 View Post
Oh the joys... BA rebooked me on to Vueling as my LHR-BCN was cancelled due to strike action. Arrived at bag drop and BA had not booked a bag on the ticket with Vueling (I was NOT HBO). So now filed a claim for £44.92 with BA.
Similar thing happened to me but it was Gatwick to Palma. Explained that I had been rebooked (from MCO-PMI) that my 2x 20kg cases I had hadn't just been HBO and I kinda need to check them in. After a blank look the check-in agent just let me put them through.
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Please be kind to crew during strike

Spoke to an mixed fleet member of crew yesterday. The strike is affecting them too, she is losing quite a lot of allowances she depends on because flights aren't happening this week due to the disrupted schedule. So please be kind to the cabin crew who aren't striking.
mhy and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
Spoke to an mixed fleet member of crew yesterday. The strike is affecting them too, she is losing quite a lot of allowances she depends on because flights aren't happening this week due to the disrupted schedule. So please be kind to the cabin crew who aren't striking.
There won't be any cabin crew... there are no flights!
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
There won't be any cabin crew... there are no flights!
afterwards...
Old Sep 9, 19, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
Why do you need a strike to be kind to the Cabin Crew. I am like that every time I fly and find I get a fantastic response.
wrp96, alex67500, greg5 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 5:52 am

Still waiting for a refund - is this normal?

I was informed our flight 9/9 BA2273 was cancelled on 8/23. Reached out on the phone couldnít get through. Reached out on Twitter and didnít get a response. Was finally able to get through on the phone on 8/24. They told me they couldnít rebook us WTP/PE on any other flights on 9/9. Call center said theyíd expedite it and get a refund calculation in 24-48hrs. I checked VS and found economy reward tickets for a good amount out of GLA instead of LGW - they put them on hold for 72hrs while I waited on details of the refund from BA.

Called back in 48hrs and was told they still didnít have refund details. Pulled the trigger and booked the return with Virgin/Delta.

Then they cancelled our outbound on 8/27 and rebooked us on another flight on 8/28. I called again to ask about the partial refund and they didnít have the details. Called to change our tickets to the theater since now we couldnít make our booking.

Miraculously BA Twitter help chimed in on 8/30 - 6 days after engagement to ask what I had reached out about. I told them I need an alternative flight or a partial refund. They said theyíd work on it.

Called again on Saturday 8/31 and they told me they didnít have any updates on the refund- but they would have details in 24-48hrs.

Twitter help reached back back out on 9/4 to tell me they had no updates.

Im out $1200 and 26,000 Avios for the return flight but no refund yet and another $350 and 30,000 Virgin/Amex points. At what point do I reach out to chargeback the entire flight and ask Amex to refund me the points that BA/Avios has filched? Itís over two weeks since I asked for a refund and they donít even know how much theyíd refund me.

Whats my best chance of actually getting .... done here?

Old Sep 9, 19, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well I got back to London exactly when I was supposed to, even though my BOS-LHR on 8th Sept was cancelled. Instead I went BOS-DUB on Aer Lingus and then DUB-LCY on BACF. Interestingly as I waited for the flight to Dublin at Logan Terminal C I saw my initial chariot home, A380 G-XLED, chug past my view at the EI gate. I had wondered if it was just going off to be parked somewhere at Logan for the duration of the strike (albeit that it wasn't being towed) as it was supposed to have landed from Heathrow rather earlier, but actually it was leaving again, bound to Washington Dulles as BA9152. Not quite sure whether it had passengers on or whether this was simply to park it at Dulles rather than Logan. But it is due to operate BOS-LHR on 11th Sept, so maybe will take IAD passengers home as a shuttle service via BOS. You cannot help thinking that BA mgt have got this wrong given (what must be) the frankly bonkers amount of hassle involved with rerouting or otherwise accommodating passengers, let alone the scheduling of airframes.

EDIT: ignore me, I checked The BA Source and BA9152 is simply for parking. I'm amazed, and this is not the only aircraft that they are doing this for. Imagine the cost!

I have never been on EI before. The concept on BOB for LH is not one I am fan of, and the route BOS-DUB is annoyingly short for an overnight. I was also refused lounge access in Terminal C - on a BA codeshare. I suppose I could have paid to get in, as well as paid for food on board, to get me back to an equivalent position to my original flight, and then sent the bill to BA but I genuinely could not be bothered. That said the A333 economy seat was far far more comfortable that the BA 788 economy seat I came over in. That one has some serious issues with the cushion your bottom sits on, dreadfully uncomfortable after only a couple of hours and I had to gather a number of pillows to make it survivable. There is something about the cushion that highlights essential differences between cheeks and upper thigh, can't put my finger on it but it wasn't good.

Last edited by snuffi; Sep 9, 19 at 6:11 am
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:38 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
As a matter of interest, why are BA showing strikes in red in MMB on non-strike days and offering the option to re-book or refund? I have two upcoming flights, one on the 11th (the day after a strike) and one on the 26th September (the day before an announced strike). Why would I want to re-book or refund if the flights are running?
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
As a matter of interest, why are BA showing strikes in red in MMB on non-strike days and offering the option to re-book or refund? I have two upcoming flights, one on the 11th (the day after a strike) and one on the 26th September (the day before an announced strike). Why would I want to re-book or refund if the flights are running?
It was said this is due to potential knock on effects of the strikes so BA were permitting a move +/- a couple of days either side of the actual strike dates.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I have the same for two flights on WEdesnday 11th and I am wondering if they are expecting a knock on effect on these flight and how flexible they will be with these cancellations.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:04 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold
I'm on hold with the German line right now, but I'm thinking perhaps it's better trying the UK Silver line. Anyone tried the UK Silver line today? Is there a long wait? I tried Twitter, but I get no response there now.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by greg5 View Post
I'm on hold with the German line right now, but I'm thinking perhaps it's better trying the UK Silver line. Anyone tried the UK Silver line today? Is there a long wait? I tried Twitter, but I get no response there now.
donít know specially but GGL went straight through and the accessibility team overflowed to the standard sales line and was answered in approx 7 minutes.
greg5 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold
Originally Posted by navylad View Post

donít know specially but GGL went straight through and the accessibility team overflowed to the standard sales line and was answered in approx 7 minutes.
I ended up waiting about 10 minutes on the Swiss number, and then asked for a refund. So, I'm home and done now.

Given the lightning storm in SEA we were lucky to get out on Saturday. Then we had a nice flight on LX yesterday with some of the FÍte des Vignerons wine and a beautiful looking dinner, and I finally got to use my United Club passes. I consider myself pretty lucky.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:38 am

Flying back from DXB on the 28th. If this doesnt run (we shall find out in the next few days I am sure), then, assuming EK are not a booking partner, I will ask for Gulf Air or Oman Air via BAH or MCT.

Given that I was originally booked in F, and downgraded to J (with refund, whilst retaining lounge and baggage allowances of F) due to A350 on this route- could i ask BA to rebook me onto F on either of these carriers? Or is that pushing my luck!? (This all assumes my flight ends up cancelled which it may not be).

If not, I would be happy enough in J on these to be honest.

Search this Thread