Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:39 am

My source tells me that BA have had somebody doing a poll of who is likely to turn up for work tomorrow, and the result has come back significantly worse than BA were led to believe a week ago.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Interested in thoughts on best approach for the following situation.

I’m flying to Narita on the 29th ex-AMS, booked just before the strike dates were announced. My original plan was to fly to AMS on the 28th, enjoy the evening there and be fresh and relaxed for the next day.

The strike on the 27th was announced before I could book the one way on the 28th and BA stopped bookings for the 28th so now my choice is to fly with another airline on that day or to do a back to back on the 29th very early.

I don’t like early mornings at all but I’m thinking having all flights on BA could help me on the day if there are issues? Are there likely to still be knock on issues with the short haul network on the morning of the 29th do we think? Or am I safe to get to Amsterdam on the 28th another way and be confident BA will get me to Narita the next day?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Interested in thoughts on best approach for the following situation.

I’m flying to Narita on the 29th ex-AMS, booked just before the strike dates were announced. My original plan was to fly to AMS on the 28th, enjoy the evening there and be fresh and relaxed for the next day.

The strike on the 27th was announced before I could book the one way on the 28th and BA stopped bookings for the 28th so now my choice is to fly with another airline on that day or to do a back to back on the 29th very early.

I don’t like early mornings at all but I’m thinking having all flights on BA could help me on the day if there are issues? Are there likely to still be knock on issues with the short haul network on the morning of the 29th do we think? Or am I safe to get to Amsterdam on the 28th another way and be confident BA will get me to Narita the next day?
Two choices here. If you do the b2b on the 29th and the early AMS does not go, I would expect BA to let you drop AMS and just go LHR-NRT.

Personally I would go with Easy/Jet2 or whoever and have your planned evening in AMS.
RobDBA likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold
I am booked on the LHR to San Diego flight on Wednesday 11th September and the MMB shows a red warning of disruption. Is it likely the flight will be cancelled? or will it and many other flights on Wednesday be delayed? I am a little worried now and dread seeing a BA email in my inbox.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by GJB58
I am booked on the LHR to San Diego flight on Wednesday 11th September and the MMB shows a red warning of disruption. Is it likely the flight will be cancelled? or will it and many other flights on Wednesday be delayed? I am a little worried now and dread seeing a BA email in my inbox.
Long haul ex-LHR on a non-strike day should be fine - don’t stress (plus plenty of rebooking options to relatively close destinations on BA / AA if necessary)
marcolau317 and GJB58 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GJB58
BA should have finalized the schedule for the first round of strike (and some flights on Wed does get cancelled), and I can see tickets are still selling for your flight on BA website, so you should expect the flight should be not affected and still be running on Wednesday.
Whether delays will occur on Wed though is another question (no one knows this yet...), but given the significant rebooking for the flights cancelled on Mon and Tue, expect extra time at the airport to go through bag check-in, security, boarding etc.
GJB58 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Have dilemma

BA flight LGW to GLA on 11 ; day after strike; got warning re risk of cancellations or delays

Do i rebook free of charge on to a city flight getting me there too early but guaranteed

When will the Wednesday picture be clear re operations?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Have dilemma

BA flight LGW to GLA on 11 ; day after strike; got warning re risk of cancellations or delays

Do i rebook free of charge on to a city flight getting me there too early but guaranteed

I can't answer the later question, although I suspect it will be on the day, and ultimately the balance of being delayed or cancelled or arrive early is up to you. What I would consider is the what-ifs, if your flight is cancelled, what are the load factors on subsequent flights, other means to get to GLA, and also think what you could do to make arriving early enjoyable? I for example love to shop in Glasgow and there are some fantastic restaurants for lunch.

Good luck.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by allturnleft
All the evidence is that BA are running down their operations fairly carefully so that things can get back to normal ASAP at the end of the strike. You could move to the LCY service, that may well show up if you press the Rebook button on full BA.com (not the app). In your shoes, I would assume the original service would run.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:34 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Quick data point for those who may be flying out of JFK on Tuesday the 10th (second day of the strike).

Just got off BA175 and I was chatting with the CSD. He mentioned that the aircraft and crew would be spending an extra day at JFK tomorrow (9th) and he would be flying back to the UK on the 10th at night. So most of the overnights on the 10th still appear to be on. I happen to be on one of those flights so hopefully this is accurate info!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
Limited service ??

Just received an email from BA telling me that there will be limited service on my flight to Stockholm this evening (CE). Got a voucher for £15. Does anyone have an idea if there will be anything at all or what limited service stands for ?
Thanx for any input.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by sueco6
Just received an email from BA telling me that there will be limited service on my flight to Stockholm this evening (CE). Got a voucher for £15. Does anyone have an idea if there will be anything at all or what limited service stands for ?
Thanx for any input.

Hi.

I would probably stock up on food and drink just in case. Hopefully someone else will confirm what the service on board will be.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Two questions if I may:

1) What was the answer for rebooking options for those on AA 001- issued tickets with strike affected BA booked and operated flight numbers? Does BA's rebooking policy apply or is it whatever AA decide?

2) BA rebooking rules for 125- issued tickets allow a multitude of carriers, has anyone been allowed to use multiple carriers (e.g. AF/AF/AA, etc) to replace BA nonstops that don't have any simple two-stop replacements available?

Last edited by alexwuk; Sep 9, 2019 at 4:42 am
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by mhy
Quick data point for those who may be flying out of JFK on Tuesday the 10th (second day of the strike).

Just got off BA175 and I was chatting with the CSD. He mentioned that the aircraft and crew would be spending an extra day at JFK tomorrow (9th) and he would be flying back to the UK on the 10th at night. So most of the overnights on the 10th still appear to be on. I happen to be on one of those flights so hopefully this is accurate info!
Hi yes this is correct - will be heading back via JFK on the 10th however had notification already about reduced capacity on the flight back and offer to rebook. Would quite happily be voluntary offloaded with some $$ and work from NYC for rest of the week so plan is to head over to JFK and see what’s on offer.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Just landed at EDI from CPT-DOH-EDI rebooking. Lost a day of the holiday but great flights. Lounge at DOH impressively huge (although showers stuck on hot or very hot!). In flight crew great, A350 excellent and nice cool cabin OS decent sleep overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.