Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by samfrost93
Thanks c-w-s, this forum has been invaluable over the past few weeks. Happy to have joined, and will look to contribute where I can (rather than just ask questions). Between potential strikes, LGW long-haul fleet issues and weather this has been a pretty stressful couple of weeks hah.
Yes I can imagine. Very little of it you can change, and it's always worthwhile to consider what is under your control, and what is not. You can change to other airlines, but I would guess the booked service to Orlando remains your best way to go there. The one thing you could do is prepare a Plan B, so would you be OK to fly via Heathrow or Madrid or New York if there are problems on Saturday. I'm guessing the Evelop service to JFK won't be full for example.
samfrost93 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I used the online Complaint/Claim form to put in a claim for the cost of the difference between the flights, which was about €150 for two passengers, and received an email from BA Customer Relations last night agreeing to pay this. So I guess a partial win for me, unfortunately I have to fly with Jet 2 to Stansted, but at least I'm not paying any more for the privilege.
That's interesting to hear. So you got a refund of your BA flight and also got a refund to cover the difference in fare for your self-booked Jet2 flight. Thanks for reporting!

ps I hope you enjoy Jess Glyne played repeatedly!!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
That's interesting to hear. So you got a refund of your BA flight and also got a refund to cover the difference in fare for your self-booked Jet2 flight. Thanks for reporting!

ps I hope you enjoy Jess Glyne played repeatedly!!
Yes, BA flight refund has finally come through and they are paying for the difference with the Jet2 flight - I'm looking forward to Jess Glyne
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Am I right in thinking in BA rebooked a flight onto VS (for example) you could ask for Original route credit from BA, but also whack a FC number into the VS booking you could double bubble?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sorry if that has already been asked and replied in this very long thread.
Does BA schedules to operate ANY flight on 9/10?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry if that has already been asked and replied in this very long thread.
Does BA schedules to operate ANY flight on 9/10?
It appears that my flight is still scheduled to operate (YVR-LHR on 9/10 then LHR-GLA on 9/11). Will have to wait and see whether it actually does...
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:23 am

deleted, sorry misread post
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Am I right in thinking in BA rebooked a flight onto VS (for example) you could ask for Original route credit from BA, but also whack a FC number into the VS booking you could double bubble?
Is this only if re-routed on the day (IRROPS) and not before?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
correct, you can double dip if your rebooked flight is non-oneworld. if your rebooked flight is oneworld you can only credit to one oneworld FFP.

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Is this only if re-routed on the day (IRROPS) and not before?
​​​​​​​it would apply here as well
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Are 27 Sept (and related) cancellations posted?

I am scheduled to fly VIE-LHR on 28 Sept, departing at 07:45. Given the departure time, it seems very probable that this flight's aircraft normally flies LHR-VIE during the prior evening and overnights at VIE. Of course, that would be on the 27th, so it won't operate if the strike does occur on that date. The flight shows as "at risk," but not canceled on BA.com.

If cancellations for the 27th have been posted, I would take this as a sign that BA are planning to leave the aircraft from the flight on 26 September at VIE all day on the 27th, and the flight is likely to operate as scheduled.

If cancellations for the latter strike date have not yet been posted, however, I'm a lot less optimistic ...
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
If cancellations for the 27th have been posted, I would take this as a sign that BA are planning to leave the aircraft from the flight on 26 September at VIE all day on the 27th, and the flight is likely to operate as scheduled.

If cancellations for the latter strike date have not yet been posted, however, I'm a lot less optimistic ...
Personally, I haven't yet seen any actual cancellations for 27 September. BA seems to have zeroed out all flights on 26, 27 and 28 September, which is presumably to prevent further bookings being made for the actual strike day of 27 September, and in order to protect space on the day before and the day after for rebookings. I'm guessing about the strategy, but it may be that BA wants to see how the strike goes next week, and - if it looks like the 27 September strike will go ahead - to wait until just before 13 September before carrying out the actual cancellations for 27 September.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:28 am

[QUOTE=KARFA;31485854]correct, you can double dip if your rebooked flight is non-oneworld. if your rebooked flight is oneworld you can only credit to one oneworld FFP.

Small plus I guess.... If this drags on in October and hits my US trip (MAN-LHR-YYZ-DFW, AUS-LHR-MAN) then ill try for VS reroute, ask for the original TPs (400) and try and nail a VS gold status match all at once... Would miss the A350 CS though... I might be over thinking this, lol

​​
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I am scheduled to fly VIE-LHR on 28 Sept, departing at 07:45. Given the departure time, it seems very probable that this flight's aircraft normally flies LHR-VIE during the prior evening and overnights at VIE. Of course, that would be on the 27th, so it won't operate if the strike does occur on that date. The flight shows as "at risk," but not canceled on BA.com.

I don't think they've pulled anything for the 2nd dates yet. I was due to fly the day after the first set of dates and was able to proactively rebook so you might want to look at your options for another date or cancellation and find another airline.... Depends how risk averse you are I guess.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Two interesting data points from the last 24 hours...

Had a flight today in BCN-LHR, returning 9/10. Finally got through to BA yesterday. They told me explicitly that if I canceled my 9/10 flight before taking my flight today it would result in zero refund. Canceling after ‘probably will get a full refund’. Will see how that goes!

On the flight had a chat with one of the pilots and asked how the strikes looking. He smiled and told me to ‘watch this space’ and suggested it was ‘50/50’. Probably just a line that mitigates people getting pissy.

Hope this is somewhat useful!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:18 pm

Cancellation of Flight on 7th Sep

Had an e-mail an hour ago to say my flight to EWR on the 7th in CW was cancelled, but they had booked me onto an earlier fligh to JFK. Then noticed that it was WTP, not happy. Went online and saw that there were two J seats available on the new flight. Got onto CS and was answered in 15 mins and they have changed me to J on the new flight, were they trying to pull a fast one (my original booking was I fare class, now J with extra Avios).

My question is as I have a hotel booked at Newark Airport, are BA responsible to fund my transport from JFK to EWR? After the change I received a text message again telling me my flight had been cancelled and giving details of the new flight but also saying "Travelling to or from a different point may incur additional expenses BA will not cover."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.