Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is there a formal policy for Avios/Tier Points?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
hmmm was hoping to avoid a work trip to Belfast on 10th Sept but the route is still open and being sold on BA.com - being served by Aer Lingus.. kind of disappointed actually!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott LTP
What is BA's policy on extra bag allowances for Silver/Gold if they rebook you onto a non OW carrier? Will the extra bag allowance carry over? If not, and you have to pay the extra bag fees, would you be able to claim those back from BA?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by londonfinancier
Is there a formal policy for Avios/Tier Points?
ORC (Original Routing Credit) should apply.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Due to fly back from Barbados on 9th Sept. whereas another night or two in Barbados wouldn’t be too terrible, staying in the same location will dent the budget considerably. Would really rather know now and plan. Is it possible that BA would fly us back via somewhere else? Booked as a 2-4-1 Avios in J and really would not want to fly back in Y.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
If you do a flight search it seems that the cancelled flights are being removed from availability. So for EDI to LHR on 9 September no availability. But for instance I'm due to fly on the 11th to Seychelles but that flight seems to have disappeared. Tried JFK and could see flights. Not updated in MMB at the moment
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I now have an issue with baggage allowance. The rebooked carrier's allowance is 58 kg lower than BA's, and I am looking potentially at c. Ł2,000 excess baggage charges if they don't have some kind of an arrangement...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Due to fly back from Barbados on 9th Sept. whereas another night or two in Barbados wouldn’t be too terrible, staying in the same location will dent the budget considerably. Would really rather know now and plan. Is it possible that BA would fly us back via somewhere else? Booked as a 2-4-1 Avios in J and really would not want to fly back in Y.
Under Duty of Care, BA would have to accommodate you. Whether they would stretch to an expensive location (I’m assuming your is) is an interesting question ... a Barbadian B&B might not be an ideal end to your holiday. ISTR reading a year or so back about someone who ended up in a B&B shack near the airport (was it ANU or UVF?).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:52 am

A few years ago, during a previous BA strike, I managed to book an extremely cheap return on the strike days just after they were announced. I was then able to change the flights, free of charge, to the dates and times I wanted which at the time cost triple (just a short-haul flight). I tried with this one, but BA were too fast! All flights on strike days, and a day surrounding, were immediately unavailable to book. Ah well.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:56 am
LE2

Programs: BA Silver
How can you tell if No Availability means that the flight will be cancelled?

Or does it mean that these flights are operating but are being blocked to accommodate passengers on the cancelled flights?

I’m on BA663 but haven’t received any notification of cancellation.

Last edited by LE2; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I tried with this one, but BA were too fast! All flights on strike days, and a day surrounding, were immediately unavailable to book.
I think that BA had already dealt with this before the strike dates were publicly announced. See the posts above about all booking classes except F, J, W and Y being removed from display. I think that originally, that applied to 11 to 16 September inclusive, although the other booking classes seem now to have been restored to 14, 15 and 16 September (although often still zeroed). That suggests that the original action was indeed pre-emptive.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
BA call center is now rescheduling flights for those who had tried earlier and weren't able to.

Sadly as my flight was booked with AS miles they told me to call AS and that they wouldn't be able to rebook for me...is this true?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lily23
Sadly as my flight was booked with AS miles they told me to call AS and that they wouldn't be able to rebook for me...is this true?
Yes
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Flying on 27th (return TATL with an infant and so seating important). Cant get through to the gold line (obviously). Not sure if I should stay on hold for another hour or just hold fire and see what happens.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KARFA

Yes
Thanks for the quick response! I guess I've been lucky, in dozens of award flights over the years I've never had to rebook so didn't know this.

On the plus side AS call center has picked up after only 3 minutes =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.