Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
HK confirmed

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that is what I would say too. HK strictly speaking means "Holds Konfirmed" - as opposed to, say, HL - which means "Holds waitListed". If you were on HL then your MMB isn't fully populated and you can't select seats, but HK should show as a normal MMB booking other than it is in red writing.
Thanks for the info chaps. I’ve just got off the phone with the silver line after receiving a cancellation email for BA658 on September 11th. They confirmed the email was sent in error and the flight is still HK. In MMB it’s showing in red letters but without a strike through as you commented, and a dummy booking through BA.com shows the flight still operating. Good luck to everyone affected!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
Has anyone managed to make changes on MMB? I have tried numerous times and still getting the "unknown error"....
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
OK update/data points.

Avios.com booking (Lloyds voucher) EDI-LHR-JNB return. Internal Comair JNB-CPT return cash flights. Called BA Silver line at 07:50, in the queue for just over an hour then line went dead.

Then gave it 3 min until clock hit 9am and called Avios.com instead. About 20 min on hold then through to a helpful agent. Unfortunately his first day back at work after a fortnight off so has come back to total chaos (he said BA desks next door even worse!). At first he was saying ticketing desk not open until Monday, not sure he could rebook on other airlines, etc. I highlighted Travel Trade page above along with 'rebooking on other carriers' PDF guidance (a massive thank you to those that posted them in the wiki - proved invaluable!)

He then went and spoke to his supervisor for about 20 min. Came back and agreed no problem with CPT-DOH-EDI re-route. Decent availability although was unsure about booking business class the whole way as LHR-EDI had been in Y on the original booking (as no Avios availability in CE). He went back to supervisor again and thankfully they both agreed would be totally unfair to not offer business the whole way so rebooked. Layover <2h in DOH, A350-900 in business on both sectors. Have to leave a day earlier from CPT and miss out on some sightseeing in JNB but overall happy with the reroute. Have a Hilton non-refundable booking for the Sun night, will try contacting to see if they're willing to help out and cancel this FOC or not.

Now just waiting for reticket, have been told has gone into the queue, could take a day or two.

EDIT: email from Avios.com arrived whilst writing this - still listed the old flights in the document, but CheckMyTrip has now been updated correctly!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Need to rebook my Abu Dhabi - LHR on the 11th as got flight cancellation notice yesterday

Try to rebook online via app/ online but get notification 'unknown error'.

Anyone else has this problem?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: DIAMOND in Life, but BA Gold, FB Plat
Just off the BA phone line (1hr 57min) and have been re booked to Qatar Airways. QR1364 and QR9 from Johannesburg to Doha to London leaving 9th of September. Very pleasant and apologetic girl said can be rebooked on any OW flights with any dates and time changes. 2-4-1 Business booking.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'm in something of a quandry. I've had a cancellation email and the MMB is shown in red. It says that I can rebook (even though it won't let me with this unknown error). However, I have just made a dummy booking for exactly the same flight and the system let me. What am I to make of that?

I think that I will leave it for now as the lines are tied up and I really have not the patience as it really is not the end of the world for us. I suspect that the flight may not be really cancelled. I am travelling through LGW on Tuesday/Wednesday and will get someone to go into the booking properly and deal with it. I'll leave those lines free for whose needs are more urgent to get through.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Rim1
Just off the BA phone line (1hr 57min)

That's the current timing?! I'm 40 mins in.... I think I'll release the call!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
OK update/data points.

Avios.com booking (Lloyds voucher) EDI-LHR-JNB return. Internal Comair JNB-CPT return cash flights. Called BA Silver line at 07:50, in the queue for just over an hour then line went dead.

Then gave it 3 min until clock hit 9am and called Avios.com instead. About 20 min on hold then through to a helpful agent. Unfortunately his first day back at work after a fortnight off so has come back to total chaos (he said BA desks next door even worse!). At first he was saying ticketing desk not open until Monday, not sure he could rebook on other airlines, etc. I highlighted Travel Trade page above along with 'rebooking on other carriers' PDF guidance (a massive thank you to those that posted them in the wiki - proved invaluable!)

He then went and spoke to his supervisor for about 20 min. Came back and agreed no problem with CPT-DOH-EDI re-route. Decent availability although was unsure about booking business class the whole way as LHR-EDI had been in Y on the original booking (as no Avios availability in CE). He went back to supervisor again and thankfully they both agreed would be totally unfair to not offer business the whole way so rebooked. Layover <2h in DOH, A350-900 in business on both sectors. Have to leave a day earlier from CPT and miss out on some sightseeing in JNB but overall happy with the reroute. Have a Hilton non-refundable booking for the Sun night, will try contacting to see if they're willing to help out and cancel this FOC or not.

Now just waiting for reticket, have been told has gone into the queue, could take a day or two.

EDIT: email from Avios.com arrived whilst writing this - still listed the old flights in the document, but CheckMyTrip has now been updated correctly!
I have found Hilton to be helpful canceling non refundable bookings in situations like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I'm in something of a quandry. I've had a cancellation email and the MMB is shown in red. It says that I can rebook (even though it won't let me with this unknown error). However, I have just made a dummy booking for exactly the same flight and the system let me. What am I to make of that?

I think that I will leave it for now as the lines are tied up and I really have not the patience as it really is not the end of the world for us. I suspect that the flight may not be really cancelled. I am travelling through LGW on Tuesday/Wednesday and will get someone to go into the booking properly and deal with it. I'll leave those lines free for whose needs are more urgent to get through.
Yes I got the same issue - I'll be the LHR today coincidently and will go to a Customer Service Desk as well.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

If you are at LGW in person then that would be much easier.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Has anyone rang up BA yet to ascertain whether or not incoming flights from Asia (leaving late night 26th Sep, due to arrive in London on the morning of the 27th) are still on?

Am due to be heading back to the UK for a niece's wedding so shall need to make alternative arrangements if not that's the case.
Never mind - I've managed to answer my own question with help from the Hong Kong GGL line (only a two minute wait!) which in effect goes through to the Bangalore call centre.

Inbound flights from Asia - or at least from HKG - leaving on the 26th evening are still on.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the record - since people may need to refer back to this after the event, here are the customer advisory guidelines as of 09:45 BST Saturday.

For cancelled flights:
- Rebook onto any alternative British Airways operated flight on the same routing,
- any date before or after the original up to 355 days ahead (ticket validity may be extended).
Rebook into the same class as original or the lowest class available in the same cabin.

Rebooking options:
Yes – as per standard customer guidelines
OR
Rebook to/from an alternative British Airways operated gateway anywhere within the same country or a neighbouring country within a 14 day period before or after the original departure date
Rebook into the same class as original or the lowest class available in the same cabin
Must advise the customer that any consequential costs, e.g. hotel accommodation, ground transport, car hire, are at their expense. Insert a remark into the booking stating that customer has been advised.
Rebooking on to these airlines is permitted: AA, AY, JL, IB, QR, EI, VY, IB (no change here), some conditions attached.
Refunds allowed instead.

====

For flights which are still marked as operating on your MMB, dated 8 to 13 September or 26 to 28 September.

Rebook onto any alternative British Airways operated flight on the same routing,
any date before or after the original up to 355 days ahead (ticket validity may be extended).
Rebook into the same class as original or the lowest class available in the same cabin,

Refunds allowed, credit to alternative destinations also allowed.
No rerouting options allowed, nor rebooking on to other airlines.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
ARN - LHR flight cancelled on September 10th. Called the GGL phone line and was on hold for 52 minutes. I'd researched what I wanted to do and was very quickly re-routed with AY: ARN - HEL - LHR with the benefit of 120 tier points instead of 40 and a flat bed on the A330 on the HEL - LHR leg. Worked out quite well really.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This isn't a helpful answer, but it isn't clear to me either, I presume you are not seeing the refund amount? If you have to enter your address into the form, my fear is that this cancels the whole booking unless it clearly says otherwise - that is the usual use of this form.
No I'm not seeing the refund amount, but then I haven't clicked on 'Cancel and refund flight(s)' yet just in case it says 'DONE! all flights canceled and refunded'. Does anyone know if there is a confirmation button before proceeding?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Another Data Point:

On hold on GGL line for an hour for SFO-LHR J rebooking and after my first 3 chosen connections had just become full, but was offered a direct DL/VS alternative - declined as it was a later flight and went with a less optimal AA connection to get me back to LHR earlier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.