Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm also scheduled to fly MRS-LHR to connect to QF 2 on September 9th. Should I be looking for other ways to get to London now and just take the loss if the flight operates? Is Iberia impacted at all?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Vegasbunny
I have just spoken to BA as I’m flying LGW-LAS on 27th. I asked to be moved to the flight the day before. I was advised that nothing had been briefed to them as yet so nothing could be done at this current time. I said it had been announced by BALPA on Twitter and Sky News have reported it. He said he would call me back tomorrow - I took his details as I’m sure I’ll be calling them back before they get back to me.

Feel so deflated
You need to give BA some time to work out if and any flights it will be able to operate - it may not be a total shutdown and not all BA pilots are BALPA members. Once they have done that then they will announce rebooking policies

Patience is a virtue. BA will announce as soon as they possibly can.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I suspect BA will happily rebook you as you propose without qualms. Give them a call - although it sounds like the call centres haven't been briefed properly yet, so you might want to hold fire for a moment.
No point calling yet, I’ll just wait for the rescheduling text message and in the meantime enjoy the sun.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's the ISB service departing from London. I don't think it will be affected, the strike starts the next day, and only for departures from London at that point. But check BA.com, MMB and here. I would expect BA to be replotting schedules right now.
Originally Posted by drakepassage

You will probably be fine (BA0261 is LHR to Islamabad). The crew will not be on strike on the 8th.

There may be tactical cancellations prior, on the one hand BA has no need for any more aircraft hanging around at LHR or more displaced passengers but if the flight is very lightly loaded they may cancel it and use the rotation/slot on a higher yielding route to get passengers away earlier before the strike.

Always make a plan B, strike or no strike.

BA will be liable for your parents’ accommodation and subsistence until they can convey them to Islamabad - the best preparation right now will be just to remind them of their rights and how to make sure BA renders them.
Thank you both very much for replying.

Will keep my eyes peeled and ask the travel agent about potentially rebooking them on EK for the return leg.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
That's two days prior. It won't be strike affected. Don't cost yourself all the £££s taking it into your own hands IMO.
​​
Thanks for the advice, I’m just wondering whether BA may make tactical cancellations prior? Plans mean I do need to be in Orlando for the Monday 9th at latest. That’s why we booked the flight on the 7th.

Last edited by samfrost93; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let me try and summarise for the various questions that have come up.

1) The dates where you are most likely to be affected with be departing from London Heathrow or Gatwick on 9, 10 or 27 September.
2) If returning to London Gatwick or Heathrow on 9, 10 or 27 September you may also be affected given the outbound service would be cancelled. Some flights may still operate.
3) On 11 and 28 September, there may be knock on cancellations due to aircraft or crew being in the wrong place. This is particularly if flying to London.
4) If you are flying on the 8 September it seems unlikely you will be affected at this stage.
5) At the moment there is no point calling up, since BA are currently rejigging their timetables.
6) MMB will be updated if your flight is cancelled, you should also get an email / text message if booked via BA.com
7) If your flight is cancelled you can get a refund or rebook to alternative dates. That's already confirmed. You can also do the same if you are travelling on the day before or after the strike if you wish, see advisory below.
8) We can expect very shortly more detailed rebooking arrangements in the next 24 hours, including options to transfer to alternative carriers.
9) EC261 will apply, offering Right to Care and potentially compensation, but see the the main EC261 thread for details.
10) Flights to and from London City are not affected, and you may be able to switch to these flights if there is space.
11) Redemption tickets will get the same rebooking ability as revenue tickets.

It should also be pointed out that the strike may not actually go ahead: the numbers are stacked in such a way that a negotiated settlement is entirely possible, leading to a last minute cancellation of the strike.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 23, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by samfrost93

Thanks for the advice, I’m just wondering whether BA may make tactical cancellations prior? Plans mean I do need to be in Orlando for the Monday 9th at latest. That’s why we booked the flight on7th.
Don't worry, you will be fine. They can't store all their aircraft in London, they have to keep them moving all the time.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by samfrost93
Thanks for the advice, I’m just wondering whether BA may make tactical cancellations prior? Plans mean I do need to be in Orlando for the Monday 9th at latest. That’s why we booked the flight on7th.
Gatwick's long haul fleet is pretty small and keeps mostly to itself, I think it's unlikely they'd tactically cancel these given that virtually all of the long haul flights that LGW fly result in the frame returning within 24 hours.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Yes
Does anyone know how the "refund" option will look for a return ticket? I would still quite like to use my outbound, but book inbound on Lufthansa. Will I be able to get a refund for just one leg?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Quark999
Does anyone know how the "refund" option will look for a return ticket? I would still quite like to use my outbound, but book inbound on Lufthansa. Will I be able to get a refund for just one leg?
Yes, there is an involuntary cancellation calculation method, so broadly speaking you will get half back, though taxes make it slightly more complicated.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Mmmm, not good for us. Due to fly INV-LHR-AUS starting out at 7:00 am 11th in INV.
Pretty sure that our first flight is due to overnight in INV on 10th.
There is an option to go from ABZ on morning of 11th, are agents empowered to make changes now or do I need to wait until our specific flights are announce as being cancelled?
Any thoghts it input appreciated.

thanks
ok, just called. Through to the silver line in les than 10 minutes. The agent acknowledged that our flights will be impacted but they are not authorised to make any changes until BA formally acknowledge that this is the case. I pushed a little to Try to get options that might be acceptable to me but got pretty firm pushback.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
9) EC261 will apply, offering Right to Care and potentially compensation, but see the the main EC261 thread for details.
ba.com confirms you're not seeing a penny of EU261
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
ok, just called. Through to the silver line in les than 10 minutes. The agent acknowledged that our flights will be impacted but they are not authorised to make any changes until BA formally acknowledge that this is the case. I pushed a little to Try to get options that might be acceptable to me but got pretty firm pushback.
there won't be any options until decide on what is being cancelled and what the rebooking guidelines will be.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If I may for one moment interject with an off topic but essential warm welcome to three new members of Flyertalk and over here on the BA Board namely @Darren0219, @Vegasbunny and @bluekjp

Not the best news for many but you've certainly come to the right place to keep abreast of changes in this excellent resource. If your not aware you're limited to 5 posts for the first day however we all hope you'll continue to post with your experiences etc.

The BA Forum Dashboard is worth a look on many a BA and oneworld topic but of course there are many other forums of which some may be of use to you.

Welcome aboard folks
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Until the rebooking policy is in place, there is nothing the phone agent can do about it. We'll just have to wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.