Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Flight back from HKG on Sep 27th open to be rebooked but not yet cancelled. I think I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if BA buckle after the first 2 days of disruption. Lots of OW options to get back from HK if I need to reroute closer to the time.
Likewise, open to be re-booked but not yet cancelled as I have an early morning BA (revenue) flight to NY on the 26th with the option to be re-booked for the 25th. There seems to be plenty of availability so just wondering if I should wait and do nothing meantime. Separate unaffected meantime Avios booking down on the 25th to originally overnight at LHR.

Not so sure what to do to be honest and I'm humming The Clash song..... "Should I stay or should I go"! (down on the 25th, to fly same day. Decisions, decisions...……..)

ba.com seems to be fine for me at the moment regarding rebooking options.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Another experience ... as CWS advised on a QR (157) ticket, I called them.
They are very happy to re-book us onto another flight (only segment is the return DOH-LHR) and were very customer friendly but not helpful because .... we've checked in for our outbound flight (today) and not flown it yet. They claim the ticket is locked until we fly (at least to Doha, they claim). So we have venture to the Far East and hope that it can be sorted while we are away.
This seems crazy but I'm going to roll with it. Fingers crossed.
Try to talk to them when you arrive in DOH if you have time. That might elicit a more positive response.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Likewise, open to be re-booked but not yet cancelled as I have an early morning BA (revenue) flight to NY on the 26th with the option to be re-booked for the 25th. There seems to be plenty of availability so just wondering if I should wait and do nothing meantime. Separate unaffected meantime Avios booking down on the 25th to originally overnight at LHR.

Not so sure what to do to be honest and I'm humming The Clash song..... "Should I stay or should I go"! (down on the 25th, to fly same day. Decisions, decisions...……..)

ba.com seems to be fine for me at the moment regarding rebooking options.
I would bring it forward a day if you can, and go for a nice steak in New York^
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Another experience ... as CWS advised on a QR (157) ticket, I called them.
They are very happy to re-book us onto another flight (only segment is the return DOH-LHR) and were very customer friendly but not helpful because .... we've checked in for our outbound flight (today) and not flown it yet. They claim the ticket is locked until we fly (at least to Doha, they claim). So we have venture to the Far East and hope that it can be sorted while we are away.
This seems crazy but I'm going to roll with it. Fingers crossed.
Ah right, yes they would correct since it would be under airport control, but if you are passing through Heathrow today then it's possible that a ticket agent there would be able to rebook.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by RG1X
Hmm... can anyone suggest a good carrier an an option for Beijing? As best I can tell only Air China fly direct other than BA.

The Oneworld alternatives (with a stop) would be Finnair or Cathay Pacific. Are BA likely to rebook into either of those?
Both are ow airlines, so yes, push for such an option. Cathay is better of the two.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:09 am

After hearing the Spanish guitar hold music for the best part of an hour (then an apology message saying “due to UK weather conditions...!) I eventually got through. Changed my LGW-LAS flight from 27/9 to 25/9. I was going to change to 26th I was advised against it (and 28th). So I’m now going from Heathrow which isn’t ideal as LGW is literally up the road. I felt like beggars couldn’t be choosers. They call centre were very helpful as I almost hung up without changing my inbound flight to Heathrow. I’d pre-booked seats too so that was also sorted and he wouldn’t hang up until I’d received my confirmation emails through. I’ve worked on call centres before and it can be a horrible place when you have to deal with the wrath of the public. On that basis I stayed very calm. I certainly slept better than I was anticipating. Now I’ve got to break the news to my husband we’re going away two days earlier... wish me luck..
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by expatboy
I assume my LAX-LHR flight on 8th is cancelled to keep the aircraft away from LHR to avoid parking issues, b ut they may have cancelled the outbound segment I guess - only showing Y/W/J availability as per some others upthread. I can rebook online for Wednesday 11th although it would be nice to get home on the right day - but that means calling for the rerouting with Aer Lingus via DUB, or VS and FlyBe. Will wait for the phones to cool off before trying to sort anything out.
i am due to fly the same route on the BA282 on the 12th and I’ve had the cancellation email (although MMB just shows it in red)
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

There is an existing thread on the strikes so I suspect this will be merged there.

As a general note I would strongly urge members to post there and not start a new thread each time for their own individual case.

As for your questions also see the main thread and also the FAQ which should provide some guidance re hotels etc.

This is what I saw in MMB and as my flight is NOT yet cancelled it does have an option to re-book but no e-mail or text from BA (which would have been welcomed as I suspect there may be non FT folks who aren't aware of this)

We are very sorry to tell you that British Airways' pilots union, BALPA, has decided to go ahead with industrial action. This is expected to have a widespread impact on our operations and will result in a large number of delays or cancellations, for which we are very sorry.

So that you can better manage your travel plans you have the following options:
  • You don’t have to do anything, you can keep your booking as it is.
  • You may be able to rebook these flights and other flights free of charge, subject to availability.
  • You can rebook your flights on ba.com.
  • You may obtain a full refund by cancelling your entire booking. You can request a refund on ba.com.

Programs: BA Gold
I’m pretty sure BA are prioritising rebooking of cash tickets over Avios bookings.

When I call the gold line, if I press 1 for Avios bookings I’m greeted with a message saying BA are unable to take my call. If I select option 2, for cash bookings, the call passes through to the queue (I.e. ringing tone).

Cant get through either way. Looks like I might be cancelling my wedding attendance in Spain.

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I had an email overnight that my flight to ACE on 8th is cancelled. Flight in MMB doesn't show as cancelled, and the strike banner indicates that refunds are per fare rules only. Surely if this is cancelled I'd be entitled to a refund? I really need to travel on 7th or 8th but can't get through to BA Holidays. I'm happy to book on another carrier but only if I'll get a refund
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
My LIS-LHR on the 10th was cancelled last night, as expected, but then around midnight they also cancelled my LHR-LIS on the 8th. Does anyone know if they are likely to offer direct flights as an alternative (TAP) or perhaps IB via MAD?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:13 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The [ ... flights cancelled on the 8th ... ] I have seen so far are easy to explain. For example if they don't cancel the night stop on the 8th, they would have staff and aircraft stuck all over the world [...]
I received a cancellation mail for the second of five LHR-HAM flights on the 8th. Aircraft positioning doesn't seem to adequately explain that, or am I missing something?

When I go to rebook in MMB, the (nominally) cancelled flight appears alongside the other four as an option (and is selectable).

I am unsure what is likely to be safest: keep my morning flight, as that leaves more hours and therefore more alternatives on the day of travel, or rebook onto a later flight based on BA having advised me to do so?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Silver
Okay, to add my final data point:

* started calling the silver line at 6:40. A human picked it up ~9:00.
* managed to rebook my LHR -> BLQ flight on 11 Sep at 8am to the LCY -> FLR at 11am.
* customer support rep said that if the strike gets cancelled, I can call and rebook the same flight that I had previously.

Last edited by palcu; Aug 24, 2019 at 3:39 am
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pfd
Waited an hour to get through to the US number via skype. really helpful agent and rebooked on JAL to Tokyo (rather then Osaka) one day later. Seems the least worse option to lose one day of our holiday rather then hope for something better,

One question, if this gets sorted out and the flights get reinstated, will we be able to rebook our original flight?
Enjoy crazy Tokyo for the night. Then get the bullet train to Osaka - you may be able to claim this travel cost in order to satisfy getting to your original destination. Although if you've accepted the re-route then that door may be closed.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Yannisb
My LIS-LHR on the 10th was cancelled last night, as expected, but then around midnight they also cancelled my LHR-LIS on the 8th. Does anyone know if they are likely to offer direct flights as an alternative (TAP) or perhaps IB via MAD?
More likely IB via MAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.