Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:16 am

I notice from the published rebooking guides that both F and J redemptions will be rebooked into “U” class on QR.

I’ve not seen “U” class before but assume it’s a J cabin? If so, would Customers within F tickets be entitled to downgrade compensation if they are rebooked on QR? Obviously not particularly important right now, but it might affect whether I push for an alternative routing that keeps me in F (eg JL via TYO). (Currently due to fly from PEK-LHR on the 8 Sep day flight; received the cancellation email but can’t do anything in MMB.)

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
On hold for BA Silver line just now. It's a Lloyds Avios voucher booking - anyone had success changing them or would only Avios.com be able to handle? They're not open until 9am.

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I’m flying JFK to LHR on 9th Sep. I saw the details of the strike in this thread yesterday and called the Gold Line immediately. They switched me to an AA flight without a problem and I’ve stayed in business class. I’m travelling with a friend who is on a separate booking who did the same and he even ended up in the seat next to me on the AA flight!

I'm glad I called yesterday as there are no business class seats left from JFK to LHR on 9th and the wait time for the Gold Line was only about 10 mins. I’d imagine it’s more now and people calling will have less options available to them today.

Good luck to everyone else trying to arrange alternatives.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Been trying all morning to get through for my cancelled LIS to LHR on the 9th. Glad to see BA are their usual efficient selves in getting more staff to cope with the influx. It's not annoying at all when they just cut you off. With the IT and operational boo boos almost guaranteed annually, and their utter indifference to the data breach, Im seriously considering sacking BA off.

I hope the strike costs them significantly more than what the pay rise would have.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by expatboy
I assume my LAX-LHR flight on 8th is cancelled to keep the aircraft away from LHR to avoid parking issues, b ut they may have cancelled the outbound segment I guess - only showing Y/W/J availability as per some others upthread. I can rebook online for Wednesday 11th although it would be nice to get home on the right day - but that means calling for the rerouting with Aer Lingus via DUB, or VS and FlyBe. Will wait for the phones to cool off before trying to sort anything out.
Have a look at indirect options on AA too. I can't believe every AA seat to PHL - EDI has been sold, for example. It would obviously be good to do homework on this before calling. It would be perfectly OK to give your timings and constraints so that people can look up on Expertflyer to see what the options are, for example.
expatboy likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The £200 limit is a made up BA figure... Saying that, you can't really expect them to pay out £400 a night when there are hotels available at £100 a night. I doubt very much they'd even take into account the "all-inclusive" aspect.
Thanks all. The rate we are paying is way above these limits. A special holiday with avios flights, so the hotel is the major expense. Found a possible routing home on Iberia- Barbados-Miami-Madrid-LHR, with the car at LGW isn’t attractive.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:22 am
bzc

Programs: BAEC Silver
My short haul flight on the 10th of September is cancelled with the earliest rerouting proposed by MMB two days later.
I am booking an easyjet flight now on the original date of the 10th, this one way flight is a lot more expensive than the whole return with BA, will I be able to claim the difference of price to BA?

I would have thought so because the opposite worked for me a few years ago (easyjet flight overbooked, bought another BA flight on same day, easyjet paid the difference) but surprisingly a few posts in this thread seem to say BA won't pay?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I notice from the published rebooking guides that both F and J redemptions will be rebooked into “U” class on QR.

I’ve not seen “U” class before but assume it’s a J cabin? If so, would Customers within F tickets be entitled to downgrade compensation if they are rebooked on QR? Obviously not particularly important right now, but it might affect whether I push for an alternative routing that keeps me in F (eg JL via TYO). (Currently due to fly from PEK-LHR on the 8 Sep day flight; received the cancellation email but can’t do anything in MMB.)
There are no extraordinary circumstances for downgrades with EU261. Compensation always applies.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Has Virgin Atlantic been opened up as a rebooking option yet?

has it been opened up in scenarios like this before?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by bzc
My short haul flight on the 10th of September is cancelled with the earliest rerouting proposed by MMB two days later.
I am booking an easyjet flight now on the original date of the 10th, this one way flight is a lot more expensive than the whole return with BA, will I be able to claim the difference of price to BA?

I would have think so because the opposite worked for me a few years ago (easyjet flight overbooked, bought another BA flight on same day, easyjet paid the difference) but surprisingly a few posts in this thread seem to say BA won't pay?
You need to talk to BA first. There is no agreement with U2 so they may not pay.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hearingdouble

Qatar's U class is the availability bucket for business class redemptions so for F passengers it implies a downgrade. EC261 reimbursement would apply for any downgrades at the 75% on the Mennens formula. See the EC261 thread for more information.

I have a booking to tlv on the 8th and back on the 11th. Both are cancelled apparently. Tried the silver line but they hung up on me. I'm flying from T5 tomorrow anyway so will see if I can get anyone to sort it then. I'm not spending my Saturday on the phone.
I'm supposed to be organising another trip on the 12th, but now I can't. I've no idea whether they will get me back on the 11th or not.
It's the fact that they seem to have not prepared for this at all. No phone line. Web site down. How about investing some of that profit, BA?
LE2

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rapidex
Not very. You were rather unwise to jump the gun for something weeks ahead. Your only option now may be the refund.
You suggested that I was ‘unwise to jump the gun’. If that’s so, what are the options?

I can’t re-book online. The telephone lines will be busy for the next couple of days. And even if I get through there is no guarantee that BA will be able to re-book.

I have no flexibility in return dates. Therefore, the only re-booking option would be on another airline.

I paid €480 for the one-way Lufthansa J ticket (and this was the cheapest on offer). If I wait longer than the there’s a risk that there will be no availability and certainly prices will be higher.

Question: What would you do?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:30 am

Ok, so after my epic call volume and change of flight for my 27th Sep LGW to Venice flight, just wondering where I stand with this

My light has been changed from LGW start to a LCY start on the same day. (Why is LCY unaffected?)

I had pre booked and paid for parking at Gatwick for the duration of my holiday. That now obviously can't be used. And the option to drive to LCY is a none starter as my return is to Gatwick.

I am someone who is always punctual. Being without my car basically means if need to get an overnight stay near the airport. Will that be at my expense? I'm not bothered about travelling the previous evening expenses as get free train travel. But also, we end up needing a taxi back from Gatwick, .... Another unnecessary expense as a result of this chaos.

I did read on here that should the strike be cancelled, we could revert to original, which would be preferable... But if then be out of pocket for the hotel.

Whatever will be... But I just thought I'd ask under these circumstances where it leaves us and entitled to claim for, if anything.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by LE2

You suggested that I was ‘unwise to jump the gun’. If that’s so, what are the options?

I can’t re-book online. The telephone lines will be busy for the next couple of days. And even if I get through there is no guarantee that BA will be able to re-book.

I have no flexibility in return dates. Therefore, the only re-booking option would be on another airline.

I paid €480 for the one-way Lufthansa J ticket (and this was the cheapest on offer). If I wait longer than the there’s a risk that there will be no availability and certainly prices will be higher.

Question: What would you do?
I agree its a very difficult situation but contacting BA is the only option, so keep trying by phone or twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.