Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin crew are all getting iPhones

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I think this kind of thing can be really useful if used well, and discreetly as part of service. I recently flew EK J for the first time to Australia and back and technology (phones for regular crew, tablets for senior crew/managers) were heavily used by EK during the service.

I don't take it out on the crew, as on a 380 the J cabin is large and the service feels rushed (yet is still slow) - personally though I found it quite offputting whenever someone brought something to me, or was taking orders, that they'd look at me and smile, say "hello Mr..." while they look down at their phone and thumb something "pythonisman, would you be joining us for lunch?".

Yes, they're saying my name, but as the interaction is between me, them and their device it completely lacked any sense of being genuine. I expect it's hard, given the size of a J cabin to make a connection feel genuine, but the devices certainly didn't help with that.

I had a BA flight recently where a CSM prided himself on having excellent name recall - to the point where he greeted us by name several times during the flight without deferring to anything, it certainly felt much more special (and that was in WTP!)

Just my 2 cents anyway. If it can help with misconnects, irrops and service recovery that's a different kettle of fish and I'm all for it.
(And agree the cover in the media piece is not attractive in the slightest)
argonath and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by icegirl
Interesting how BA feel putting a finance geek as Head of Inflight Customer Experience is the way to go. Never the less the reliability of the solution will be the most important.
Have you met her. Dear? I have. I flew with her VLC - LGW. Whatever her background (which she did tell me) she is certainly engaged in and engaging in what she does. Above all she listens and she wants to know. I liked her and we had a most interesting chat. I repeated a lot of those complaints that I found the most valid and the most repeated here. I added one or two of my own. I liked her a lot. Since a Geek as you rather unkindly describe her is defined as "an unfashionable or socially inept person ". She was beautifully turned out and if she is socially inept, I Pucci am one of the Marx Brothers. I just hope that she never gets to read that. I can assure you that she is doing her best to get the product back where it should be.

As for the phones if they assist customer service and allow a better service for passengers - tight connections come immediately to mind - then I have no problem with this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Well KLM manage successfully to do that - they announce all the connecting flights and departure gates about 15 minutes out from Schiphol, and also if anyone cannot make their connection. Have seen something along these.line with BA recently in flights from DUS and ABZ.but not being done consistently.
I've had an interesting experience with them in 2011, flying LCY-AMS-SXB, and of course the LCY-AMS was very delayed, so when I got there the last SXB flight was gone. All this automation meant that I wasn't allowed to speak to anyone until I kicked up a bit of a minor fuss. I wanted to get rebooked to FRA or STR and get someone to pick me up from there. I get that it's reassuring to have your hotel voucher by simply scanning your boarding pass at their machines, but I had options in mind, but as a no-status Y passenger nobody would speak to me, it was "use the computer and don't speak to us". All in all they saved a hotel voucher by re-issuing a boarding pass manually...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Will all cabin crew now be able to access sensitive passenger information such as BAEC status, CIV, etc. (i.e. will they have access to a seat map on their iPhones the same way the CSDs/CSMs/Pursers do on their iPads?)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes they will.
Can I help you : do you know what will be the access policy when on duty downroute (nightstops) or out of the plane ? Will they be able somehow to access all customers or just the passengers of the last flight, or nothing at all ?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Er, BA, sensitive personal information widely distributed, and IT.
What could possibly go wrong?
Dambus, Kgmm77, florens and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I sincerely hope that any cached copy of the PIL stored on the phone is automatically deleted at the end of the flight and the new PIL is not accessible until briefing before the next flight.

I am sure that the iPad version has ironed out all of these kind of wrinkles and overall it is a very positive step.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Robespierre
I sincerely hope that any cached copy of the PIL stored on the phone is automatically deleted at the end of the flight and the new PIL is not accessible until briefing before the next flight.

I am sure that the iPad version has ironed out all of these kind of wrinkles and overall it is a very positive step.
I hope so too. Not a great thought to have larger teams with full access to all this information.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jplondon
I hope so too. Not a great thought to have larger teams with full access to all this information.
Couldn’t anyone in BA look it up? Presumably just tapping in date & flight no & they can retrieve a list of customers booked on flight and then get through to EC profile etc? How does it work?

I’d assume device management would be applied to these devices and the BA staff app would require authentication to log on (ie a passcode or similar?)

Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Er, BA, sensitive personal information widely distributed, and IT.
What could possibly go wrong?
Where I work we have iPads that can access customer information. To be able to use the iPad you need a login which just unlocks it. Then to actually access the customer information you need to log in to the app. This requires your ID and a password which must be at least so many characters long include numbers special characters etc.

That will allow you access to the app but you still need to have been approved for access to customer info. If not you just see a blank fields that would otherwise show information. You also need to know certain information about the customer to be able to search. If the app isn't used for a certain period of time it logs out and if the iPad locks the same happens. The information isn't held on the iPad but securely on our servers. You can only access it through our iPads using our own dedicated encrypted wifi network. I expect would hope BA had something similar in place.
Ancient Observer and ttama like this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 22, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

I’d assume device management would be applied to these devices and the BA staff app would require authentication to log on (ie a passcode or similar?)

This must be the case, surely ..... ? As noted upthread, devices of one sort or another have been in use for some time on various carriers.

The prospect of one of these phones (a large number of which will of course be taken all around the world) falling into the wrong hands is less than ideal.

Hopefully the security / protection measures put in place are indeed at the sort of level described above by Jimmie76.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Can I help you : do you know what will be the access policy when on duty downroute (nightstops) or out of the plane ? Will they be able somehow to access all customers or just the passengers of the last flight, or nothing at all ?
Whilst this may have changed, my understanding is that only the operating crew can access the PIL for that flight. And I believe that you can only look up flights within a certain date range too - something like -1/+3 days. Presumably long enough so that the crew can access the PIL for legitimate reasons (e.g. to leave notes for the next crew to aid with things like service recovery). That's how the SCCM version of the app works/worked, but it may change for the main crew version.

Likewise, as corporate managed devices, they require both an Apple passcode to unlock the device, and then the individual user's BA credentials to get access to the BA-specific apps. Access will also time out after a pre-determined period of time. If it were lost, the device could then be locked and wiped remotely.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Will all cabin crew now be able to access sensitive passenger information such as BAEC status, CIV, etc. (i.e. will they have access to a seat map on their iPhones the same way the CSDs/CSMs/Pursers do on their iPads?)
None of that is sensitive personal information though, according to GDPR:

The following personal data is considered ‘sensitive’ and is subject to specific processing conditions:
  • personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs;
  • trade-union membership;
  • genetic data, biometric data processed solely to identify a human being;
  • health-related data;
  • data concerning a person’s sex life or sexual orientation
I'd be surprised if BA holds much of that about its passengers at all.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Will they take these home with them? That’s an awful lot of private customer data to be had by a lot of people...
They’ll all have the passcode set to vancouver.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by SteveF

They’ll all have the passcode set to vancouver.
I thought its lasvegas this month
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
A friend of mine at IAG was talking about this at the beginning of the year and what the idea behind it was( essentially exactly what's in the press release). As it will allow CC to be more proactive for when connections are missed due to delays then I think it's a good thing. My understanding is that after consulting with the pax about options that the CC will be able to rebook ( if necessary) onto another flight whilst still in the air or arrange for pax to be met at the gate to be assisted moving through the airport to the next flights gate if time is short both of which can only be a positive.

For those who harump about not getting their Gold Greeting this should also lower the rate for that considerably i'd imagine. Agree with @Iammorgan that the covers in the press release do look abit garish.
I also heard this from a member of the worldwide cabin crew, he was quite (perhaps understandably) cynical and said it was so they could reduce customer staff on the ground.
nancypants and TWCLAM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.