Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin crew are all getting iPhones

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Lol, my company has given my a corporate Iphone in 2012

Nonsense aside, my benefit is that I can access my corporate files, emails, time sheet and powerpoints.

So I guess they'll do the same with it including roster, pick up times, etc. But what will be the actual customer benefit? I doubt that they'll walk around with an Iphone in their hand checking for customer names to do some name recognition. Nothing the CSD can't do now.

EK has an app which is used for rostering information only and IRROPS (internal info e.g. later hotel pick ups). Nothing really customer related.

D
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Sorry maybe I should've been more clear there. Yes my understanding is that if a flight is going to be missed due to an IB delay then CC can talk to the pax about the options( which will be available to them on their device) and then rebook FOR the pax whilst still in the air. From the conversation I had with there was also talk of the CC also being able to submit avios / service recovery claims on the pax's behalf. That part isn't mentioned in the PR but such blurb tends to focus on the positive not negatives so unsure as to whether it was just omitted or the ability to do so didn't make the final cut on the initiative. Said friend is away right now so wouldn't be fair to chase him on whether or not that's something they will be able to do.
Cabin crew will not undertake any rebooking, but will have the ability to see when customers have been rebooked by the ground teams. Indeed customers can see this directly themselves on BA.com on Wi-Fi enabled aircraft, if the ground teams have processed the rebooking in advance.

Depending on the length of the delay or the circumstances, ie if it occurred before check-in at the outstation, the aim is that the customer's connection be rebooked before boarding. If there is some uncertainty as to the arrival times, then this is left for the London team to manage once the aircraft is airborne and closer to London.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That has happened. I don't know when you last visited T5 but there are Rovers with tablets and the new trolley positions in check-in and Flight Connections. During the recent irrops they rolled some of the trolleys down to Flight Connections in an attempt to keep the queues down. There are also new fangled check-in points for self service. Late arriving services are also being met by staff with reprinted boarding passes or hotel vouchers . So quite a lot of little things over the last 12 months.
Well that’s good to know, thanks.

I can’t claim to have read every post across the comprehensive thread covering the most recent spell of BA disruption, but I nor can I recall seeing any reports of FT-ers being helped specifically by members of the BA Rovers ‘A Team’. Or indeed at any other time since. Just a little surprised at the paucity of any mention (?) of them since the initial announcement of their introduction and front-facing role.

They should undoubtedly be kept pretty busy in the event of flight deck strike action.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Well that’s good to know, thanks.

I can’t claim to have read every post across the comprehensive thread covering the most recent spell of BA disruption, but I nor can I recall seeing any reports of FT-ers being helped specifically by members of the BA Rovers ‘A Team’. Or indeed at any other time since. Just a little surprised at the paucity of any mention (?) of them since the initial announcement of their introduction and front-facing role.

They should undoubtedly be kept pretty busy in the event of flight deck strike action.
I'd assume their target demographic isn't your average FT-er? If I need assistance at Heathrow, I'd probably head for the ticketing desk in GC South, or call the Silver line. I wouldn't stand around looking lost and waiting for an iPad Wanderer to come and help me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Will they take these home with them? That’s an awful lot of private customer data to be had by a lot of people...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think they are all getting iPhone 4s, well deserved...
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Excellent, can I now expect to be addressed by name in J?
No. Doubt it. They will be using the phones for selfies to post over Instagram more than what they do now... incredibly!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
This is the first one I came across, there are other examples in the same thread. But not that actually despite the high number of posts (including from me and thee) relatively few first hand witness statements are in that thread. I was one of those who got a new boarding pass (eventually) from a Rover, just as my App suddenly sprang back to life at the last moment.

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

You will find further examples in the EC261 thread, plus reports on pro-active boarding pass presentations on other irrops, as well as pre-printed hotel vouchers.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:59 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Finnair use this. As they roll the BOB trolley up and down the aisle, there is a smartphone they use with a seat map and coloured symbol on each seat- blue, silver, gold and black. Black (Finnair platinum or OWE) gets a free drink.
I doubt BA will put it to such good use.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:48 pm

I can see the cabin crew loving this. As soon as the MAN-LHR is 15 minutes late, they’ll be delighted to have every passenger ask if they’re going to make their connection.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Well KLM manage successfully to do that - they announce all the connecting flights and departure gates about 15 minutes out from Schiphol, and also if anyone cannot make their connection. Have seen something along these.line with BA recently in flights from DUS and ABZ.but not being done consistently.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I'm pretty sure Cabin Crew wont be rebooking anyone!
I was on a flight with the phones and it was nice how when I asked to move seats the lady looked at her phone and said, as you're gold let me see what I can do
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Just in time for cabin crew to rebook passengers when flights are cancelled due the pilots strike.. ����.

Seriously this is a welcome development .There were a couple of the roving iPad holders getting Golden tickets at the recent Golden Ticket event . The only downside of staff having an iPhone instead of a tablet is that it can sometimes look as if they are playing on their phones instead of working.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Will all cabin crew now be able to access sensitive passenger information such as BAEC status, CIV, etc. (i.e. will they have access to a seat map on their iPhones the same way the CSDs/CSMs/Pursers do on their iPads?)
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes they will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.