Finnair Platinum Lounge at Helsinki

Old Aug 21, 19, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Finnair Platinum Lounge at Helsinki

Denied access at the new Finnair Platinum lounge as, despite having taken the qualifying flights to move up to Gold and showing the staff there proof of travel etc, because the system hasn't updated and is still showing me as Silver. Grrr! Takes the lack of customer-orientation of lounge dragons to a new level!! Currently sulking in the Business Lounge, which is much reduced in capacity as it is being refurbished.
An example in how the action of one 'computer says no' member of staff can immediately throw out a couple of years of good experiences of Finnair in one fell swoop.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Unless the system has been updated to reflect your updated status, there isn't anything much the Finnair lounge staff members could do. I don't blame them, to be honest.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Seems like a BA issue rather than a Finnair one - I suspect that the Finnair staff on reception wouldn't even know what criteria you would need to have reached Emerald on BA, so showing them your recent flight history may not mean much to them! When did you take your final qualifying flight?
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I sympathise with the frustration, but I would not have expected to be allowed to be let in to a BA-operated F/Emerald lounge in those circumstances, let alone one operated by a different OW airline. I say that for various reasons, but mainly (on a practical level) because I wouldn’t expect a Finnair ground agent to understand the qualification criteria for BA gold status.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Unless the system has been updated to reflect your updated status, there isn't anything much the Finnair lounge staff members could do. I don't blame them, to be honest.
Clearly a case of 'rules are rules' rather than guidelines for interpretation. I agree about the system point, but when you can clearly demonstrate the qualification, the lack of empathy (or maybe the front-line's lack of being allowed to use their initiative) is disappointing. It is what I will remember from the trip
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by JSM8 View Post
Clearly a case of 'rules are rules' rather than guidelines for interpretation. I agree about the system point, but when you can clearly demonstrate the qualification, the lack of empathy (or maybe the front-line's lack of being allowed to use their initiative) is disappointing. It is what I will remember from the trip
Just because you wish they were guidlines for interpretation (and, of course, interpreting them the way YOU want them to be read) doesn't mean that's what it should be. Others pointed out the why. Not sure what there is to argue about? I would understand your frustration would you have been shown as Gold in your account but not on BP or if you had any documentation from BA verifying you are Gold.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As noted though the AY staff have no clue how BAEC works and whether you are pending an upgrade in status. The AY staff have applied the rules correctly. As always, it seems we are happy rules are bent or broken when it is in our favour but god forbid an agent doesn't follow the rules if it that is the best outcome

I have heard of this working at a BA lounge with BA lounge agents but never at a non-BA lounge. To be honest I think had you asked on here before I would have said the likelihood of success was close to zero. Fine asking but don't be surprised/disappointed/upset if they inevitably say no. It must have been a pretty boring trip if this is the thing you remember most about it!
SirToby, Tredders, PETER01 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:31 am

You are annoyed at Finnair, when it is in fact BA who have not updated your status quick enough to reflect your new exalted status?

In saying that BA are without doubt the quickest at applying credits to your FF account versus the other carriers I use. Be glad if you were waiting for flights to credit over at M&M.....

Shame you missed out on the Finnair Platinum Wing - it is a rather nice lounge indeed - very aesthetically pleasing place to spend 30 minutes before a flight.
Knodde and KARFA like this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post

Shame you missed out on the Finnair Platinum Wing - it is a rather nice lounge indeed - very aesthetically pleasing place to spend 30 minutes before a flight.
I look forward to that undoubted pleasure next time. And the Business Lounge is in reality absolutely fine - staff are very pleasant and the F&B options are more than satisfactory
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
I'm sorry you had this experience. However, I fear that expecting rules to be bent in Finland is never going to end in a positive experience ("In Finland everything works but nothing is possible, in Russia nothing works but everything is possible").
Steve_Hun, TWCLAM, Thysk and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
When did you take your last qualifying flight?
Old Aug 21, 19, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I'd go even a little bit further than that. I understand how frustrating this is, but basically, you are not gold until you are gold. Even if staff could check that further flights have been taken that will make you gold in due time, at a BA lounge, they might decide to allow you access even though you are not gold as a courtesy as a result, but you still are not gold and it is thus a courtesy and certainly not an obligation.
Old Aug 21, 19, 5:44 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Frustrating, but we all know how much difficulty BA staff have keeping up with lounge entry criteria, so to expect someone from another airline to know the tier qualification process is, in my opinion, an expectation too high....
Old Aug 21, 19, 5:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
In saying that BA are without doubt the quickest at applying credits to your FF account versus the other carriers I use. Be glad if you were waiting for flights to credit over at M&M.....
At the risk of digressing, my SQ flights credit to M&M faster than BA flights do to BA.

I think it very much depends on the operating carrier when it comes to M&M because some airlines are pretty slow to credit to M&M.
Old Aug 21, 19, 6:15 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Clearly a case of 'rules are rules'
Welcome to Finland

Search this Thread
Search Engine: