Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking & Using a site to block your location

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

I recently saw a review from a well known travel blogger and on it he recommended using a site such as surfshark to change the actual country he was booking from (in his example UK -Brazil). As a result, the price of a LHR-JFK return went down by £150.

Is this his legal or something against BA’s T&Cs? What about booking a BA holiday this way?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's BA.com then changing location this way is silly given you can change the base country via the flag on the top right of BA's screen.. It doesn't change fares, but the blogger probably hasn't realised his cookies will remember his previous setting for lowest versus flexible fares.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Life is full of urban legends...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Without testing I don't know if BA do this, but lots of companies do - dynamic pricing isn't just based on the time of day that you are looking for something (and there is a national retailer trialling dynamic pricing in one of their "local" stores, changing the price of products on the shelf at different points of the day), but nowadays a whole lot more. Companies are effectively profiling your session - where you're connecting from, what machine you're using (e.g. Tablet, Apple, Windows, Android etc), the profile of your location (ABC matching), what your browsing history has been, what cookies you have (so if you're being tracked by ad companies, there's a chance some / all of that profile data can be accessed by the retailer to build their own profile). Using all of this data, they will then determine how to treat you as a potential customer - that might mean throwing you specific offers to cross-sell / up-sell, it might mean tweaking their prices upwards - either because they believe you can afford it or you might have a propensity to consider a higher price means a better product. This is definitely happening in the holiday industry (I have a friend who works in technology for a major holiday company), but are BA using it? Who knows - and if they were, would they be getting it right? Although there is definitely revenue upside if they get this right, if not the rest of their IT, so well worth the investment.

Edited to add: if you want to try on BA.com or anywhere else, us a VPN and Incognito mode.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:56 am

This won't work on BA - the point of sale is always set as the departure country. However using a travel agent website in another POS may yield results. For example in my experience I often found UK-US flights on expedia.com available in lower fare buckets than booking in the UK
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's BA.com then changing location this way is silly given you can change the base country via the flag on the top right of BA's screen.. It doesn't change fares, but the blogger probably hasn't realised his cookies will remember his previous setting for lowest versus flexible fares.
Perhaps what the blogger experienced was different availability based on the point of sale? While booking from a different country does not change the fares, it can lower the price due to the lower booking classes being available. I experienced that at least 2 or 3 times. Once, when I was booking a KBP-JFK return in CW, and ba.com and the local office were quoting 'C' class only, so I booked via Expedia (US) in R class, and twice when I was booking flights to the USA in WTP and both ba.com and the local office were quoting 'W' class only for the flights I wanted, so I ended up calling the US office and they booked 'E' class which was available for the U.S. PoS. I don't think it's against the rules to 'shop' points of sale, is it?
Anonba likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
This won't work on BA - the point of sale is always set as the departure country. However using a travel agent website in another POS may yield results. For example in my experience I often found UK-US flights on expedia.com available in lower fare buckets than booking in the UK
According to the blogger, it did work via BA.com

Its mentioned in the below video
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
On a related note: if I call BA can they change POS regardless of who I'm talking to, or do I need to call the appropriate call centre?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by etiene
On a related note: if I call BA can they change POS regardless of who I'm talking to, or do I need to call the appropriate call centre?
The POS is determined by the cell centre...so calling the UK number, will get you a UK POS.

This is useful if, like me, you want to e.g. pay in GBP for a flight originating elsewhere. But it can sometimes result, for reasons discussed above, in very different pricing, both good and bad.

tb
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by trueblu
The POS is determined by the cell centre...so calling the UK number, will get you a UK POS.

This is useful if, like me, you want to e.g. pay in GBP for a flight originating elsewhere. But it can sometimes result, for reasons discussed above, in very different pricing, both good and bad.

tb
Can the US call centre charge in GBP? This will probably come to nothing, but a potential Christmas plan has an AMS start point but better I availability from a US POS - and if at all possible I'd want to use my BA AmEx...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by etiene
Can the US call centre charge in GBP? This will probably come to nothing, but a potential Christmas plan has an AMS start point but better I availability from a US POS - and if at all possible I'd want to use my BA AmEx...
No. You can of course still use the BA Amex, but will pay 3% for the privilege. Not worth it for the Avios, but if you are using it to cover you for Amex Plat travel insurance, can still be worth it if you are getting significant savings from different POS.

tb
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell

According to the blogger, it did work via BA.com
OK having watched that rubbish, that is several minutes of my life I won't get back.

This is one reason why I am on FlyerTalk I get no commission, no deals, no credit card referrals and no SurfShark referrals. It's baloney which is borne either out of ignorance or possibly he has a vested interest in spouting this rubbish. We are very lucky that there are many other like minded souls in this forum and elsewhere in FT, I won't name them but you will know who they are. They too put out good and factual content without vested interests in stake, or indeed copying other people's mistakes.

Unlike what he clearly stated, with a note of authority in his voice, BA's public fares are exactly that. In the good old days you could go to your public library and see them in big fat directories made by OAG and others. These days you can use ITA Matrix, Expertflyer and many other tools to see the fares for yourself. There are a few private fares - there used to be more - there are corporate fares and there are industry fares. Private fares are all but public anyway, you just to delve into it a bit more.

On top of that is the inadequacy of the current web front end used by BA.com, which shows one leg at a time and then adds it. The £100 difference was on one leg, by changing the date criteria you can get that anytime you want, what you then do is add the return leg and end up with the return fare. You will note there wasn't forensic detail on this. But I wager than had he used either the old front end OR continued to compare true flights on specific fares, there would be no difference.

To be an aviation blogger you need to blog, you don't need to know anything about aviation. To get anywhere on Flyertalk you need specifics, you need details, they can be challenged by others who are also knowledgeable. But you don't need a VPN provider to slip a few bob into your back pocket. And you certainly don't need to change your IP address. Speaking only for myself, I'm keenly aware of what are the "right" fares in my area since the sums of money in my case are off the scale enormous. I'm also doing these flights regularly so I can see the patterns and trends. I book my travel in multiple locations. I also have access to another industry GDS so I can compare on the list fares, and I've got ExpertFlyer too as a backup. What I say here others can (and must) challenge. This is how it should be. I know the way of world is going, fake analysis over fact and peer reviewed research, but sometimes we need to be very clear when it is happening.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
OK having watched that rubbish, that is several minutes of my life I won't get back.

This is one reason why I am on FlyerTalk I get no commission, no deals, no credit card referrals and no SurfShark referrals. It's baloney which is borne either out of ignorance or possibly he has a vested interest in spouting this rubbish. We are very lucky that there are many other like minded souls in this forum and elsewhere in FT, I won't name them but you will know who they are. They too put out good and factual content without vested interests in stake, or indeed copying other people's mistakes.

Unlike what he clearly stated, with a note of authority in his voice, BA's public fares are exactly that. In the good old days you could go to your public library and see them in big fat directories made by OAG and others. These days you can use ITA Matrix, Expertflyer and many other tools to see the fares for yourself. There are a few private fares - there used to be more - there are corporate fares and there are industry fares. Private fares are all but public anyway, you just to delve into it a bit more.

On top of that is the inadequacy of the current web front end used by BA.com, which shows one leg at a time and then adds it. The £100 difference was on one leg, by changing the date criteria you can get that anytime you want, what you then do is add the return leg and end up with the return fare. You will note there wasn't forensic detail on this. But I wager than had he used either the old front end OR continued to compare true flights on specific fares, there would be no difference.

To be an aviation blogger you need to blog, you don't need to know anything about aviation. To get anywhere on Flyertalk you need specifics, you need details, they can be challenged by others who are also knowledgeable. But you don't need a VPN provider to slip a few bob into your back pocket. And you certainly don't need to change your IP address. Speaking only for myself, I'm keenly aware of what are the "right" fares in my area since the sums of money in my case are off the scale enormous. I'm also doing these flights regularly so I can see the patterns and trends. I book my travel in multiple locations. I also have access to another industry GDS so I can compare on the list fares, and I've got ExpertFlyer too as a backup. What I say here others can (and must) challenge. This is how it should be. I know the way of world is going, fake analysis over fact and peer reviewed research, but sometimes we need to be very clear when it is happening.
I think this blogger is on FT so look forward to his rebuttal, if there is one!

VPN method aside, it doesn't sound like you are refuting that lower fare buckets could be accessed depending on POS, which can be accessed by calling a different call centre? Or is the POS hard-linked to city of origin, as others have suggested?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by s1362083
VPN method aside, it doesn't sound like you are refuting that lower fare buckets could be accessed depending on POS, which can be accessed by calling a different call centre? Or is the POS hard-linked to city of origin, as others have suggested?
POS is hard-linked to city of origin on ba.com. I don't know of any way round that. I don't think that's the case when phoning in, although not all agents/centres seem to be able/willing to switch POS.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC
OK having watched that rubbish, that is several minutes of my life I won't get back
hahaha this made me laugh and one thing I dislike myself, wasting time that I can’t back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.