HKG Minimum Check In Time

Old Aug 20, 19, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

HKG Minimum Conformance Time

Good morning from a sunny and rather empty Hong Kong!!

Mrs and I are coming back home to LHR today on BA32 in Business. We are going to utilise the in town check in so we can explore.

What is the minimum time we need to be passing security to make the flight given we will have hand baggage only?

On the BA website, I can only find the generic long hall departures check in close time of 60 minutes.

Many thanks!

Ryan

Last edited by Ryanfozzie; Aug 20, 19 at 10:45 pm Reason: Not checking in!
Old Aug 20, 19, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're doing in town check in and bag drop at an airport express train station, there's a deadline and that deadline presumes that you immediately take the train to the airport. Ask your hotel for details.

If you do this, you'll go directly to passport control at the airport and there's no conformance requirement.

However, nowadays, I'd want to allow a lot of extra time due to the protests, especially since your business class ticket will entitle you to wait in the lounge at HKG. Depending on what time your flight leaves and the current situation in Hong Kong, it could be wise to clear airport passport control and security well before evening, even if it means a long wait at the airport.
orbitmic and Cymro like this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you're doing in town check in and bag drop at an airport express train station, there's a deadline and that deadline presumes that you immediately take the train to the airport. Ask your hotel for details.

If you do this, you'll go directly to passport control at the airport and there's no conformance requirement.

However, nowadays, I'd want to allow a lot of extra time due to the protests, especially since your business class ticket will entitle you to wait in the lounge at HKG. Depending on what time your flight leaves and the current situation in Hong Kong, it could be wise to clear airport passport control and security well before evening, even if it means a long wait at the airport.
The protesters are expected to be at Yuen Long today, not the airport. Obviously things can change so keep an eye on the news but if it were me, I'd go my normal 2 hours before and enjoy a drink in the lounge.
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I have a different perspective here.
In town check-in is regularly used in the morning for evening flights and stay in town for work or pleasure. In this way there is no presumption you immediately take the train.

So to the question, is there a minimum time you will be allowed to enter security/immigration? I don't know.
LHR has 35 minutes conformance, I have not heard the same for HKG. Perhaps others can address your specific question.
I personally would like to enter 1 hour before departure it can easily take 20 minutes on a normal day to pass security and immigration, take 10 minutes to the gate at which time boarding most likely has started. (That said, 3 hours is great to enjoy the nice lounges).

As for the protests, I understand that there is now a ticket check to enter the check-in area to ensure only passengers enter the airport. Looking at this and the ever changing situation in town expect queues at places where normally are none, safety is paramount and you want to take in extra time to reach your destination. Build in buffers.

Globalist
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globalist View Post
I have a different perspective here.
In town check-in is regularly used in the morning for evening flights and stay in town for work or pleasure. In this way there is no presumption you immediately take the train.

So to the question, is there a minimum time you will be allowed to enter security/immigration? I don't know.
LHR has 35 minutes conformance, I have not heard the same for HKG. Perhaps others can address your specific question.
I personally would like to enter 1 hour before departure it can easily take 20 minutes on a normal day to pass security and immigration, take 10 minutes to the gate at which time boarding most likely has started. (That said, 3 hours is great to enjoy the nice lounges).

As for the protests, I understand that there is now a ticket check to enter the check-in area to ensure only passengers enter the airport. Looking at this and the ever changing situation in town expect queues at places where normally are none, safety is paramount and you want to take in extra time to reach your destination. Build in buffers.

Globalist
Many thanks Globalist.

My thinking was rocking up around 1hr 20ish before the flight. We have a fair bit to do today and as much as the lounges are lovley, we flew home last year in F so managed to experice them all a good 3 hours before the flight. I'd sacrifice a bit of lounge time for more HKG time and just eat my dinner on the plane.

Thanks again 😊
Globalist likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:59 am
Formerly known as joannerose66

Programs: Gold BA Exec, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Globalist View Post

Globalist
I flew home from HK last Friday when no protest was planned at the airport. However I didn't realise there was a boarding pass check to ensure only passengers enter the airport. They were only using one set of doors to allow passengers into the terminal and the queue was horrendous; I was sure I was going to miss my flight. It took me 35 minutes from joining the queue to getting into the building (and that did entail me pushing in the queue a little and not joining the very end of the line, which being British didn't sit well with me but I desperately wanted to get back for my son's birthday)

I would allow time for queuing outside, and more importantly ensure you have water. 35 mins in 35 degrees with high humidity and a hangover wasn't fun. I had to grab fresh clothes from my suitcase at the checkin desk and have a shower in the lounge

Safe travels
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
How did you arrive at the airport, by train / taxi? I am trying to visualise where that check would be given the humidity issue.
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:47 am
Formerly known as joannerose66

Programs: Gold BA Exec, Hyatt Globalist
I arrived by uber. The ticket check was right by the doors leading into the terminal. They'd locked all the doors except one set (doors 2 I think). The queue snaked around between doors 1 and 2, then went all the way down the length of the terminal past doors 4 then doubled back on itself heading back up to doors 1, with the bollards by the side of the road acting as a barrier between those queuing between doors 4 and 1, and those queuing between 1 and 4.

I arrived at the terminal at 6.50 and made it into the terminal around 7.25. All queuing was outside, no shelter from sun, no options to get water.

There were separate queues for press and crew, who obviously were able to enter the terminal quickly.

Last edited by orchidrose12; Aug 21, 19 at 4:26 am Reason: more facts
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
We flew out of HKG last Thursday (15 Aug) and at that point the advice was that the airport would close check-in at -120 minutes instead of -60. The trains to the airport were running every 20 minutes 'at the request of the HK Government and airport authorities'. As we had a 5pm check out we went straight to the airport after dropping our bags. At the airport, as you exited the train, there was a quick police check of documents before entering departures to check we had tickets and passports.
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:58 am

My record is leaving central 1 hour before departure and still making it. I wouldn't recommend that but the point is there doesn't seem to be any cut off, i went through security about 20 minutes before departure.
Traveller 935 and Ryanfozzie like this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:02 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
The airport express is running at 20 minute intervals TO the airport for security reasons and there is a boarding pass check at the exit from the platform (with a queue of just under 10 mins last night at 2000).

There are are recorded announcements at central station advising the recommendation for city check in is now 120 mins due to the extra checks.
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Took BA32 back the other night. Took less than 5 minutes extra. There are only 2 entry points into the airport from the taxi/car/bus entrance into T1. Have your passport and boarding pass ready. I cannot promise it will be like that all the time but the other day was really minimal extra hassle.

FD.
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Fans of MO, Marriott
I am flying back from HKG next week so hoping all will be fine. Slightly off topic which lounge is the best at HKG? I will be in F
Old Aug 21, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC, Fans of MO, Marriott
Is The Wing or The Pier closer to the gates that the BA flights depart from? I will be on the A380 btw.
Old Aug 21, 19, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Grande Annee View Post
Is The Wing or The Pier closer to the gates that the BA flights depart from?
The Wing.

I think that historically, BA's 380 has usually used the gate now numbered 5. But doing a quick EF search for the last week, it looks like it's been 23 for the whole of that period. I don't know if this is a permanent change; over that period, the 777 has sometimes used 5/6 as has historically been usual, but a good number of other gates (including some 20s) have been used. But I think that The Wing is still closer to all of the gates that have been used over the last week.

I think that the best way of getting to the F side of The Wing is not via north security near the BA check-in desks, but to clear south security. Immediately after you exit from security and immigration, turn left on the same level and you are at the entrance to the F side of The Wing.
Grande Annee and TWCLAM like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: