FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA thinks I haven't paid for a bag on return leg of HBO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1983788-ba-thinks-i-havent-paid-bag-return-leg-hbo.html)

ratechaser Aug 20, 19 12:50 pm

BA thinks I haven't paid for a bag on return leg of HBO

Evening all

Just checked in for the return leg of our trip to Rhodes. We were on a basic fare but I paid for one bag as would have been a struggle to get everything into hand baggage for 2 weeks.

No issues outbound (apart from the FLY debacle on the 7th) but the app now thinks I don't have a bag for the return. Says I can pay at the airport. I have the email from BA confirming payment of a bag both ways.

So I guess the question is - is this another common BA IT issue and/or should I be geared up for an argument at the airport?

If at all relevant, we were all op-upped on the outbound, not sure if that could have thrown a spanner in the works?

RC

golfmad Aug 20, 19 12:53 pm

You have the email showing proof of payment so just be prepared to show that at the airport and you should be fine.

ratechaser Aug 20, 19 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31436958)
You have the email showing proof of payment so just be prepared to show that at the airport and you should be fine.

Well quite, what could possibly go wrong, especially as it will be about 30kg :D

rickg523 Aug 20, 19 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 31436994)

Well quite, what could possibly go wrong, especially as it will be about 30kg :D

Bring the money in case the agent decides your documents don't satisfy him. Then take it up with BA after the flight and you've retrieved your luggage.
Show up early if you're in the mood to argue..

MSPeconomist Aug 20, 19 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31437084)
Bring the money in case the agent decides your documents don't satisfy him. Then take it up with BA after the flight and you've retrieved your luggage.
Show up early if you're in the mood to argue..

If there's a problem at the airport, you can with the same credit card, give BA a chance ti issue a refund, and then file a charge back.

Often1 Aug 20, 19 1:29 pm

Print out the email (nobody likes squinting at mobile phone screens).

If you are required to pay, then pay. Better than having the bag left behind. Then deal with BA on the return. If need be, with the card issuer (bank).

ratechaser Aug 20, 19 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31437104)
Print out the email (nobody likes squinting at mobile phone screens).

If you are required to pay, then pay. Better than having the bag left behind. Then deal with BA on the return. If need be, with the card issuer (bank).

Alas I'm not staying at the sort of resort that has a business centre, complete with printing facilities :p

So squinting it will have to be...

And I always enjoy a good argument!

Often1 Aug 20, 19 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 31437137)

Alas I'm not staying at the sort of resort that has a business centre, complete with printing facilities :p

So squinting it will have to be...

And I always enjoy a good argument!

I find it hard to believe that someone on the staff won't print an email you forward to them. It is hardly the sort of document containing one's most private details.:o

ratechaser Aug 20, 19 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31437177)
I find it hard to believe that someone on the staff won't print an email you forward to them. It is hardly the sort of document containing one's most private details.:o

The manager of the place I'm at isn't nicknamed 'chuckles' without good reason :D

phone is fine. Apple keep saying how good the OLED screen on the XS is, let's test that one...

Jagboi Aug 20, 19 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 31437137)

Public library? My local once gives $5/month of free printing, anything beyond that is charged for. Even if it's a small charge for a printout its easier to hand to a check in agent. paper look more official too!

MSPeconomist Aug 20, 19 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 31437384)
Public library? My local once gives $5/month of free printing, anything beyond that is charged for. Even if it's a small charge for a printout its easier to hand to a check in agent. paper look more official too!

OP is currently on the Greek island of Rhodes. There probably aren't any cheap or free printing facilities nearby....although yeah, perhaps OP could take a long taxi ride up to the campus of the University of the Aegean and find a place to print a page there at a reasonable price, but the RT taxi fare would probably cost more than the checked bag fee, and the process would take more than an hour of the OP's time.

Thdw Aug 20, 19 2:56 pm

I think this is an IT glitch. It happened to me last week; our travel agent erroneously booked us two HBO fares for a two week cruise which I only discovered when checking in for the outbound. We paid for luggage for the round trip during online check in for the outbound but for the I couldnít get past the relevant page when trying to check in online for the return via the app. It kept insisting I pay again for the bags (?£84). I recall it was as much again as we had paid for the luggage for the round trip.

BA Twitter team didnít seem to understand the issue but advised me just to go to the airport. I checked in there and like you expected a fight, but the baggage (x2) wasnít even mentioned.

ratechaser Aug 20, 19 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Thdw (Post 31437413)
I think this is an IT glitch. It happened to me last week; our travel agent erroneously booked us two HBO fares for a two week cruise which I only discovered when checking in for the outbound. We paid for luggage for the round trip during online check in for the outbound but for the I couldnít get past the relevant page when trying to check in online for the return via the app. It kept insisting I pay again for the bags (?£84). I recall it was as much again as we had paid for the luggage for the round trip.

BA Twitter team didnít seem to understand the issue but advised me just to go to the airport. I checked in there and like you expected a fight, but the baggage (x2) wasnít even mentioned.

And this is my thinking, at an outstation either they couldn't care less or they dig their heels in, there may be little middle ground.

By the way, thanks to all that know the island (and specifically its printing facilities) better than I do!

I'm sure it will be fine, this is BA after all...

ratechaser Aug 22, 19 2:41 am

...and it was fine, more or less. Bag went on the scales, the check in agent printed a tag and attached it.... and then spent the next couple of minutes looking at her screen and tapping away. Then she called over a colleague. And then another... old tag comes off, new one gets printed... one of the colleagues gets out what looks like a checklist and starts tapping away...

Colleague number 4 comes over to have a look. Lots of conversation and gesticulating between them...

And then, after close to 10 minutes of this, passports and boarding passes back, 'have a nice flight' and we were on our way. So no idea what happened there...

I was actually quite relieved to see our bag heading to the plane while we were were waiting at the gate! And interestingly, despite being a totally full flight, they were not at all interested in checking in any of our other hand baggage (which I'm always happy to offer to do when we have other hold bags anyway)

1010101 Aug 22, 19 3:57 am

I have had the same in the past, it is an IT glitch. Agent at LHR said without the bag showing in the system they are unable to print a tag off for it. It would be far from the first time they've lied to me at LHR check in, but I didn't have time to argue if this was another case so just paid up and they gave me a number to call to get a refund of the online charge.