Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airside customs inspection [VAT Refund Desk] - terminal 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airside customs inspection [VAT Refund Desk] - terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I know this is a little bit OT here but the amount of the refund already takes into account the processing fee (which is quite large). The additional fee for receiving the refund in cash is nominal (a few Euros of GBP).
Very true, but happy no more was taken out.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If the items are in your luggage and it's check through until final destination, you'll have to get your VAT refund form stamped in Italy BEFORE checking in your bag. VAT refund point might want to see the good you're taking out of the EU, and if you cannot show them, most likely they will not approve it.

If it's in your hand carry then do it in Heathrow.

Some exceptions applies, such as items valuing above a certain limit, electronic goods above certain value, and others
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:23 am

A few years ago when I regularly reclaimed VAT I always took the cash. A bird in the hand etc. If it was credited to my card it was impossible to track. Some random amount would appear months later from an organisation I had never heard of in a country like Bulgaria, which I had never been near!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I know this is a little bit OT here but the amount of the refund already takes into account the processing fee (which is quite large). The additional fee for receiving the refund in cash is nominal (a few Euros of GBP).
It can be quite substantial when it's NOT Global Blue. Global Blue tend to make refunds reliably within 5 working days onto the nominated card but their cash refund fees are also pretty low and usually a fixed amount. Not always the case with some other VAT refund companies.

When it's not Global Blue, cash refund fees can be rather substantial, and refunds onto your card may take many weeks (6 weeks), some may not occur without chasing, and when chased, they might try to send you a cheque in a currency that has nothing to do with the currency of your country, which costs you more than the value of the refund in bank charges to cash, and then demand you send it back at your cost and make you fill out a form with your credit card details and send it back, despite your having clearly indicated that you want your refunds to your card in the first place and completed your details properly.

That's the reason why some people prefer to get immediate cash despite the fees, i.e. don't want to do additional paperwork that takes ages, or the time spent chasing it up.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've reclaimed VAT lots of times and I have never been asked to look at the goods. I usually do it at the office just behind the check in desks though, I do VAT before checking in/checking luggage.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by lalala
Very true, but happy no more was taken out.
My rule of thumb for the UK is VAT is 20%, but the refund is only 10%, the other 10% is their admin fee. So roughly half the VAT is refunded.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
You're lucky your forms were filled out correctly! I've had issues in Italy and Germany; the former I was lucky the agent was able to call the shop in the morning, the latter the Dutch customs agent (TXL-AMS-LAX) took pity on me that they had just swapped numbers in the field and finally gave me my refund. I will be triple-checking these things before leaving shops in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.