Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Likelihood of being offered App Up - after seat selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)

Over the last nine months of my TP year, my semi-regular flights have been between GLA and the three LON airports, all in economy earning 5 or 10TP.

I’ve been offered various CE App Ups this year, and between accepting some of these (~£69) and a WT+ return from Tampa as part of my summer holiday, I now find myself at the heady heights of Bronze.

Since becoming Bronze, I’ve been taking advantage of selecting a less crappy seat at 7 days out, but have not been offered an App Up since ! Is this purely a co-incidence, or is it because I’m now selecting a seat in advance ? Or just because I'm Bronze ?

Some flights have had space in CE, but I know this doesn’t necessarily mean that I, or anyone else for that matter, will be offered an option to upgrade.

I’m currently on track for around 400 - 425TP year end, (with more flights I’ve yet to book) and I wouldn’t mind the option to push for Silver………..

A TP run isn’t preferred, but not out of the question though.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
App up?

Do you mean an AUP - Airport UPgrade - offer?

Being Bronze does not prevent you getting these offers but apparently BA only offers each passenger a limited number of AUP opportunities (I've seen 3 in 12 months mentioned in other threads)

If you mean a POUG (proactive upgrade offer in MMB) then these aren't always offered either being dependent on how full the CE cabin (and that CE can be variable size)
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I select at Seat when booking and get offered all the various upgrades that the system pops up from time to time, so my educated guess is preselecting a seat makes no odds.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I do not believe it has anything to do with your status, more that they have made you a number of attractive offers to upgrade so now they hope you will purchase CE rather than ET. You are less likely to do that if you know they will continue to offer you "cheap" upgrades

Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't.

As I understand it these are the upgrades offered in the app, not upgrades offered at the airport.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
As I understand it the different terminology on FT for upgrades are;

AUP - Airport Upgrade (physically offered by staff at check in desk)

POUG - Promotional Online Upgrade (offered in Manage My Booking (MMB) often in a styled advertisement type promotion with a photo and sale type pricing i.e ‘Limited offer £99’)

Online Upgrade - (this is found by going through MMB and will quote a fare difference or price that isn’t always attractive! Just the ticket difference or so)

APP UP’s - these were a trial (or have been rolled out? Or not?) whereby passengers are offered through the app an upgrade price offer after check in and boarding pass issued, so most likely when you are in the lounge or airside.

The above upgrades, bar AUP, are all accessible via the BA App iOS or Android or via a browser at BA.com through MMB.

(Please correct me if any of this has changed.)
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Umm, is the phrase AppUp not a thing ? As in:

App Upgrades (AppUp) App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

An upgrade offered when using the App, on iPhone in my case. Apologies if I've not used the terminology correctly.

But anyway, thanks for the replies and insights, I did wonder if the offers had decreased, or ceased, now that I've sampled CE and would be tempted to book it begin with, as opposed to the "cheap" upgrades mentioned. Alas, my employer will only pay for economy, so not much chance of that. But it also appears that seat selection feature of my status, does not preclude me from future opportunities. So it's just my paranoia then !
I've three sectors in the near future, with more to book, so will feed back once fights are completed.

As ever, thanks to all for your collective wisdom.

Last edited by chris1922Mk2; Aug 19, 2019 at 2:56 pm
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
App Ups are for real, and I've been offered one recently. But yes it is in the lap of the gods as to whether you will get one. The App can be flaky between releases so it's also worth checking for POUGs as well, at OLCI, and checking the fulll site too, not just the App, in case of any recent IT issues. I wouldn't read much into your Bronze status, plenty of Golds get POUGs, AUPs, AppUp too.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
App Ups are for real, and I've been offered one recently. But yes it is in the lap of the gods as to whether you will get one. The App can be flaky between releases so it's also worth checking for POUGs as well, at OLCI, and checking the fulll site too, not just the App, in case of any recent IT issues. I wouldn't read much into your Bronze status, plenty of Golds get POUGs, AUPs, AppUp too.
So, as way of an update, today I checked in for my GLA - LGW same day return tomorrow, via the app.
Checking in for the outbound was unremarkable, I had already chosen 7F last week, and saved my BP on the phone. However, low and behold, when looking at MMB for the return, there was indeed a POUG ! Which looked, and was in a different style, to the AppUps I previously mentioned. As I may be in the airport early and wouldn't otherwise have lounge access, I attempted to take up the offer of £70 for CE, but the App wouldn't process the transaction and advised me to call..........
Rather than that, I checked on a Chrome browser, and the offer was still there, so successfully paid and and have taken 1A as a bonus. Happy days.

So I was being paranoid ! Silver might be within reach yet...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.