Wiki Posts
Search

BA245 [LHR-EZE] is “Night Stopped”

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jerseytom
"Night stopped" seems like a similar play though. Avoid a negative word like delayed, and say "Oh no no, just having a little night stop, that's all" instead.

That'd be my guess anyway.
"Nightstop" is a common term in both normal operations and IRROPS. And it tells you much more than "delayed".
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Globaliser
"Nightstop" is a common term in both normal operations and IRROPS. And it tells you much more than "delayed".
Not a common or easily understood term relative to delay for the average punter. And it doesn't tell you any more than "delayed until tomorrow", which the majority of people would understand more clearly.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What about EC261 compensation for night stoppage? Maybe BA is using the term to discourage claims since it doesn't sound like a delayed or cancelled flight and might have connotations of some ATC or airport curfew issue.
ENTP and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Not a common or easily understood term relative to delay for the average punter. And it doesn't tell you any more than "delayed until tomorrow", which the majority of people would understand more clearly.
It might have been better not to use it publicly. But the "guess" that the term was deployed as some form of nefarious obfuscation is pretty laughable.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What about EC261 compensation for night stoppage?
Usual delay rules. When it happened to us, BA paid our €600 very rapidly.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
What about EC261 compensation for night stoppage? Maybe BA is using the term to discourage claims since it doesn't sound like a delayed or cancelled flight and might have connotations of some ATC or airport curfew issue.
The BA App quite clearly states that the flight is delayed. No confusion there.

Doc Copper

Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:10 am

Guys

”Night stop” is an industry term that every airline I heard, dealt with or talked to uses. It’s definitely not the most user friendly term for those who don’t work with planes, but in this context it’s just used to mean that a plane has overnighted somewhere else than scheduled.

In other contexts (e.g. line maintenance contracts) it’s also used to mean that a plane will overnight downroute and then return back in the morning.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by 13901; Aug 19, 2019 at 8:34 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
it’s just used to mean that a plane has overnighted somewhere else than its normal base of operation.
In which case it's been mis-used here, since the aircraft spent the night at its home base.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
In which case it's been mis-used here, since the aircraft spent the night at its home base.
unfortunate choice of term from my point of view. Rephrased.
Deltus likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:31 am

It might have been better not to use it publicly. But the "guess" that the term was deployed as some form of nefarious obfuscation is pretty laughable.Usual delay rules. When it happened to us, BA paid our €600 very rapidly.
Disagree there. There's definitely a play on words here to ensure it sounds as positive as it can.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might have been better not to use it publicly. But the "guess" that the term was deployed as some form of nefarious obfuscation is pretty laughable.Usual delay rules. When it happened to us, BA paid our €600 very rapidly.
Of course. I'm being a bit facetious but I could also imagine someone having the bright idea that maybe if they call it a night stop rather than a delay, lots of folks might not realize that they might be eligible for EC261 delay compensation.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Originally Posted by ajamieson
When the Emirates 777 crashed in Dubai a couple of years back, the airline kept putting out press statements referring to a "landing incident." It takes balls to try and pass off a smoking hole in the ground as an "incident."
Going a bit further off-topic:
The on-ground-explosion of SpaceX's Crew Dragon was called an "anomaly". They also like the term (probably not the situation itself) "Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly".
TedToToe likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Disagree there. There's definitely a play on words here to ensure it sounds as positive as it can.
... but I could also imagine someone having the bright idea that maybe if they call it a night stop rather than a delay, lots of folks might not realize that they might be eligible for EC261 delay compensation.
I think the common FT parlour game of racing-to-express-the-most-cynical-view-about-BA's-actions might have more force if someone had dreamt up some newfangled weasel term on the spot. But this is a clear case of a term of industry jargon escaping into the wild. There are plenty of us non-industry people who routinely use the "nightstop" when talking about scheduled or unscheduled events, although usually only to people who we know will understand it.

I don't know if the passengers on the OP's flight got delay letters when they left the building, but the ones that I've seen (including the one we were given when we had an unscheduled nightstop) do have the 261/2004 rubric printed at the bottom. You might think that it shouldn't be in such small type, but it isn't concealed on the standard letter.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:00 am

Just says 'Delayed' on the EZE arrivals board as does today's outbound. I imagine they can't put 'Cancelled' as they're not.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The term 'nightstop' has been in use much longer than EU261 has been around. The reason it is used is to indicate as it states, the aircraft is not departing on the day expected and will overnight and depart the next day. Delayed is generally used where the flight is departing the same day.

Outside of our Legal department having an overview of customer communications as any company would be expected to do, there is no big conspiracy within BA to use certain words so as to deny EU261. There is a legal requirement to inform all customers in such situations that they may be entitled and then it is up for our customer relations/Legal teams to determine the circumstances and what we are liable for under EU261. Informing customers is done through information available at the airports and any letters we give to customers on the day which usually has information printed at the bottom regarding EU261.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:43 am

I see this did final leave as BA9601 Monday night at 21:48 and is being followed by Mondays scheduled BA245. For local aviation fans it will mean there will be two BA 772 on the ground at EZE today.

Hoping my trip in October doesn't hit similar issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.