Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling BA SH on 31st October?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Travelling BA SH on 31st October?

Currently I’m due to start a work trip to Lisbon on 31st October - flying BA from LHR. We absolutely have to arrive on 31st October due to committing to providing services to a client on 1st November.

What would be the potential issues should a No Deal Brexit occur and travelling on this day - and, would you switch to travel on 30th October to provide extra redundancy?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't see there being any issues flying on that particular day.

You may want to read this thread and the further links within it.

BA, Brexit and Future Travel
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:43 am

Not much would happen so I wouldn’t worry. Some European countries may well strictly enforce the 6 month passport minimum validity rule on Brits or you may well see lengthy passport delays at EU airports due to enhanced checks and Brits being asked to use the “others” rather than EEA channels. My passport is valid until May 2020 but I am renewing it within the next month to facilitate travel in the EU from October. The key is to make sure you have consumer protection for whatever you book and generally you will in the UK.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Currently I’m due to start a work trip to Lisbon on 31st October - flying BA from LHR. We absolutely have to arrive on 31st October due to committing to providing services to a client on 1st November.

What would be the potential issues should a No Deal Brexit occur and travelling on this day - and, would you switch to travel on 30th October to provide extra redundancy?
How absolute is "absolutely"? If you really mean what you say, what if travel on 31 October is disrupted by bad weather, an accident at LHR, a fire, an IT meltdown, or a baggage system breakdown? All of these things have happened from time to time. Would any of them provide an excuse for not arriving on 31 October? If so, then "absolutely" doesn't really mean "absolutely", does it?

In other words, if you truly "absolutely" have to be in Lisbon on 31 October, then travelling on 30 October (or even the day before) might be a wise plan even if the entire notion of Brexit had never existed.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Make sure your passport has 180 days. Also if you renew early and have the extra months added IE, you have 10years 6months then there is a possibility that this won't be allowed because a passport with up to 10 years is valid and not more.

​​​​
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Make sure your passport has 180 days. Also if you renew early and have the extra months added IE, you have 10years 6months then there is a possibility that this won't be allowed because a passport with up to 10 years is valid and not more.

​​​​
UK passports no longer add on previous validity.
nancypants, mikeyfly and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
UK passports no longer add on previous validity.
many passports are still out there that still have the added validity - and there will be until 2028! . Mine issued in 2010 expires in mid 2021 because I had 9 months added on.

For future EU travel I need to exclude those 9 months to get a 'correct' expiry date.

In any case the UK will still be in the EU on 31st October (we will leave at 23.00) so the existing rules will apply for UK passports and any 180 days validity won't apply.

There is a handy passport validity checker on the uk.gov website.
ScienceTeacher likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Actually, I think 1 November would be the critical day, i.e., day after Brexit, as that is when additional controls and restrictions might come in.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Actually, I think 1 November would be the critical day, i.e., day after Brexit, as that is when additional controls and restrictions might come in.
Indeed, that’s when the trouble will start.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
The other thing to consider is whether the task you plan to undertake in Portugal is something you may require a work permit or other authorisation to undertake if you're no longer an EU citizen on 1st November.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Skatering
The other thing to consider is whether the task you plan to undertake in Portugal is something you may require a work permit or other authorisation to undertake if you're no longer an EU citizen on 1st November.
Especially as it seems that "Free movement for EU citizens will end on day one of a no-deal Brexit, under new Home Office plans – despite warnings of chaos and of people trapped in legal limbo.
Priti Patel, the new hardline home secretary, is pressing for border restrictions to be imposed immediately on 31 October, even though no replacement system is ready, The Independent has been told."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9064376.html

I'd expect EU countries to return the favour (and rightfully so) if your dumb government goes ahead with that idea...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The bit not mentioned in that article is that the repeal of Freedom of Movement is in an existing bill, the Immigration and Social Security Coodination Bill, which is sitting at Report stage in the House of Commons - and has been since March. It needs to go through Report, Third Reading and the three readings of the House of Lords before it goes to Royal Assent. The trouble is that Report stage is an amendment stage, so are two of the Lords' stages, and I think HMG is reluctant to have any of these amendment opportunities at the moment. If the Primary legislation isn't moved soon, Freedom of Movement will legally continue on 1 November until Primary legislation says otherwise. The Home Secretary is looking at Secondary legislation, but I suspect (and she has been advised) the Courts will take a dim view of using Secondary legislation to get around Primary legislation in the immigration sphere. And, incidentally, if Parliament is prorogued, the existing Bill will be struck out.

Suffice to say, that by deep irony, as things stand at the moment Freedom of Movement is going to remain in place on 1 November.
TeflonMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.