Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oneworld benefits on non-oneworld codeshare

Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

This is my first post on FlyerTalk. Hope to get your help with understanding loyalty benefits for codeshare flights.

I am BA Executive Club Silver (oneworld sapphire) and booked an return eco flight from HKG to ZRH through Cathay Pacific. Flight was ticketed by Cathay but is operated by Swiss. At the same time I am also Star Alliance Gold (Miles&More Senator).

Will I get oneworld benefits (luggage allowance, lounge) given Swiss is not a oneworld airline? If not, may I be able to get the Star Alliance benefits?

Hope to tap into FlyerTalk's collective wisdom!

Thanks a lot in advance
Valzar
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk Valzar. You will not get any OW benefits as the flight is not operated by a OW airline. Regarding Star benefits, the fact that the flight is booked under CX code may also prevent you from using the lounge but you should ask in the Star Alliance forum.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Valzar

I am BA Executive Club Silver (oneworld sapphire) and booked an return eco flight from HKG to ZRH through Cathay Pacific. Flight was ticketed by Cathay but is operated by Swiss. At the same time I am also Star Alliance Gold (Miles&More Senator).
Welcome to Flyertalk Valzar and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here.

You won't get tier points, Avios or lounge access due to your Silver card. You will probably be able to access the set of contract lounges in HKG, particularly if you persuade the Swiss check-in agent to add your Senator card to the booking. There are several lounges open to you, maybe not as good as the Cathay series, but it does include Plaza Premium East, by gate 1. Star Alliance is similar to oneworld Alliance in that you will earn Award miles (Avios equivalent) but not Status miles (Tier Points) when flying on a Cathay marketed flight. This assumes you are booked as a codeshare (CXnnnn flight number) rather than than an online to prime booking.
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'll add my welcome too! I agree with cws too that you will probably be able to access the lounge, but technically, more simply, you are entitled to no benefit on either side unfortunately
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It really is the disingenuous part of alliances that you could be in OWE and *G but with a codeshare CXnnnn may end up with no miles to either program, no lounge access, no extra baggage etc etc

the one bright light is oddly, QF which in this scenario with EC, will offer miles and tier credits just like it was a QF operated flight.

KF
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Star Alliance is similar to oneworld Alliance in that you will earn Award miles (Avios equivalent) but not Status miles (Tier Points) when flying on a Cathay marketed flight. This assumes you are booked as a codeshare (CXnnnn flight number) rather than than an online to prime booking.
I might certainly be wrong here but aren't *A and OW different in that *A credits status and award miles based on the operating carrier, while OW credits based on the marketing carrier?*

Am pretty sure that even with a CX codeshare operated by LX OP can still get status and award miles on M&M — the M&M website seems to support this: https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e..._basic_01.html

*This is also why there's plenty of discussions on the *A boards about how booking classes map across codeshares (since mileage earning is by the underlying fare class for the operating carrier, not necessarily the one shown on the ticket)
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your warm welcome and input!

So it seems that I might at least be able to collect Miles & More miles...and potentially get some lounge benfits.

Booking through CX was more than 20% cheaper than booking through LX, so even if I end up getting no benefits at all, I am still better off.

Cheers,
Valzar
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by truncated
I might certainly be wrong here but aren't *A and OW different in that *A credits status and award miles based on the operating carrier, while OW credits based on the marketing carrier?*

Am pretty sure that even with a CX codeshare operated by LX OP can still get status and award miles on M&M the M&M website seems to support this: https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e..._basic_01.html

*This is also why there's plenty of discussions on the *A boards about how booking classes map across codeshares (since mileage earning is by the underlying fare class for the operating carrier, not necessarily the one shown on the ticket)
i do not believe that is correct. the point you make about operating vs marketing carrier is the correct basis of calculation for eligible flight (ie operated and marketed by *A) but does not make an ineligible flight (in this case cx ticketed) eligible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.