Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Your baggage may take some time - just leave and file a missing bag report"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

A few days ago I arrived at LHR T5 on a 90 min delayed flight at almost exactly midnight (BA691 on 12 Aug). As we were taxiing, there was an announcement to the effect that as there weren't many baggage handlers around so late it would probably take a very long time for any baggage to arrive, so passengers may prefer to just abandon their baggage and file a missing bag report online. Of course there was then a lot of grumbling from most of the passengers.

In the baggage hall, there were no staff visible except at the First/Club desk, which already had a long queue, so it was impossible to ask whether there would indeed be a delay for the bags from our flight (even if anybody would have known). There were also lots of grumpy people waiting around for baggage from previous flights, and one chap said he'd waited 2 hours for his bag already, but couldn't abandon it as he had a flight out the next day.

(As it happened we got very lucky - We had almost decided to leave without our bags when the carousel started and the bags for our flight popped out - probably quicker than they usually do.)

So the question is - is it normal that late-night arrivals should expect crazy-long delays to receive bags, and so pax are warned to just abandon their luggage (good job we ignored the advice as it turned out). Or was there something special going on that evening which made it a truly exceptional situation?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not exactly normal, but it sounded as though it was well-handled by giving passengers the option to have the bags delivered the next day.

If staying on in London, I can't imagine having waited as one presumably has the first 3-4 days clothes in carry on.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This isn't unusual, and the usual victims are the late domestics if they get a bad run of creeping delays thanks to weather. If T5 gets several aircraft after 23:00 hrs the message you get is fairly standard, and what you did was sensible: wait the usual time, maybe add 5 minutes, then leave for home. I think there may be as few as 4 handlers on call, which would be need 20 minutes per shorthaul aircraft and twice that for longhauls. BA's handling of overtime for ground staff is, I have been led to believe, open to improvement. Then as the message indicated use the online baggage tools to register an entry in WorldTracer. If you are London based you would normally get the bag about 2 days later via a courier company. BA no longer requires people to submit claims at the airport.

ba.com/baggage

LGW also does this too, but they are staffed better for the late AGP service (etc) so it takes a lot for this to happen there, it sometimes happens if there are labour shortages, many of the baggage handlers are from Eastern Europe. I'm not aware of it happening at LCY or STN.
fruitcage, T8191 and Andriyko like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
If staying on in London, I can't imagine having waited as one presumably has the first 3-4 days clothes in carry on.
What a massive and bizarre assumption....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the replies. I will certainly pack more in hand luggage for any similar late-night flights in the future, so I have learned something useful.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
What a massive and bizarre assumption....
I'm guessing it a sly dig at the size of carry ons people generally carry
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Often1
Not exactly normal, but it sounded as though it was well-handled by giving passengers the option to have the bags delivered the next day.

Theres no guarantee that the bags will be delivered the next day. Experience is typically 2-3 days and once yov e out an address in you have to have a missed delivery before you can change it.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Also had this on Monday, But there was a queue at passport control and by the time we were through our bags were on the carousel. In fact, it felt quicker than normal.

So always have at least a quick look before leaving as we were just going to leave and let them deliver our bags.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

Wow... didn't realize this was "not unusual"... so London can't figure out how many flights are coming in and have the appropriate # of people lined up to work if needed? Or is it they can't just can't find people who want to work late?? Skip London... check.
audio-nut, alvinlwh and mikem004 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA no longer requires people to submit claims at the airport.
Although many travel insurance policies do as my daughter found out to her cost recently.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wcel
I'm guessing it a sly dig at the size of carry ons people generally carry
Once bitten twice shy...

Surely a strong incentive to drag as much hand luggage on board as possible on future flights for anyone affected by these sorts of events? All seems a bit self defeating...
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dambus
Surely a strong incentive to drag as much hand luggage on board as possible on future flights for anyone affected by these sorts of events? All seems a bit self defeating...
As is the policy of charging for bags which I blame for originally taking us in this direction. The simple truth is that airlines would prefer everybody to carry their own cargo on board than to pay baggage handlers to do it for you. And now if there‘s too much baggage on board because of this unbundling, it‘s the passengers‘ fault.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by giporlos
Wow... didn't realize this was "not unusual"... so London can't figure out how many flights are coming in and have the appropriate # of people lined up to work if needed? Or is it they can't just can't find people who want to work late?? Skip London... check.
I think it depends on how we qualify "unusual". I should perhaps clarify this is just T5, where the last arriving aircraft is usually the 22:45 arrival from ARN. In winter only 4 aircraft arrive after 22:00 hrs and T5 is closed overnight. And yes if several aircraft then arrives after (say) midnight, which I would guess is a 1 in a 100 nights event, they will struggle. At T3 and T4 they aren't exactly round-the-clock terminals either but they are better able to handle out of hours arrivals.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

I wonder has someone done the sums: is it cheaper to courier luggage to people who don't wait or is it cheaper to pay a few hours overtime and taxis home?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I wonder has someone done the sums: is it cheaper to courier luggage to people who don't wait or is it cheaper to pay a few hours overtime and taxis home?
Well it’s BA so they are bound to have done the maths...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.