Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA001 to NY, Fly Back First? But NYC Hotels are overpriced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA001 to NY, Fly Back First? But NYC Hotels are overpriced

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Check NY hotels in LIC in Queens and Jersey City. Quicker to travel from there to midtown than from lower to upper Manhattan- and at least 100 dollars a night cheaper.
Agreed. If you can get Jersey City / Hoboken / or anywhere nearby, there are a lot of transport options, and the views of Manhattan from that side of the river are spectacular.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Quite difficult to find a legal one in Manhattan, or in the other boroughs close to transit
Not sure how to tell which are legal, but I rented a 4-bed apartment in Harlem a year ago for $100 a night, 200m from a subway station and 10 blocks to central park
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not sure how to tell which are legal....
They aren't in any of the five boroughs that are NYC https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boro..._New_York_City

including Harlem which is in the Manhattan borough.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm
Due to the exclusivity I am leaning towards NY (excluding getting half the TP which is annoying) I am stuck with the cost of hotels... I could do with some guidance; to help me decide.
There are loads of decent central NYC hotels which are very good value, certainly for a night. The ALoft is a good example. Ironically I had to stay at an Aloft in Brooklyn as my flight to Miami was delayed due to snow and needed a night. Only cost me around $90!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not sure how to tell which are legal, but I rented a 4-bed apartment in Harlem a year ago for $100 a night, 200m from a subway station and 10 blocks to central park
NYC is very restrictive with airbnb -- rentals less than 30 days are prohibited in building classified as "A" under the MDL (multiple dwelling law) -- Class A means a building with three or more apartments -- unless the owner of the apartment is there with the renter.

There are very few exceptions -- such as 2 apartment buildings -- often converted townhouse or a converted house -- but these are rare,

There is a special enforcement unit ts dedicated just to short term rental violations.

As to coming to NYC when the UN Special Assembly -- it is a mess traffic wise. Do not stay in a place where one would have to rely on a bus -- like NJ transit or NYC MTA. If NJ look to be near the PATH train and in NYC near a subway.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:33 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As the OP has already started an identical thread in the QR forum, and FT rules preclude cross-posting, we’ll close this derivative at this point.

/mod
msm2000uk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.