British Airways 787 vs Others?

Old Aug 16, 19, 11:00 am
Original Poster

British Airways 787 vs Others?

My wife and I are flying from MSY to LHR in December, and she had recently flown a 787 with El Al and said it was essentially the worst long haul she's ever been on, so she's a bit worried about our upcoming flight with BA, given that it's also on a 3-3-3 787. She flew back on an El Al 747 that retired literally the next day and said it was significantly more comfortable.

In any case, I'm curious if anyone has any insight into how comfortable (or not) the basic economy is in a BA 787-8?

I'm also wondering if it's worth it to buy assigned seats in the window and aisle near the back and hope nobody grabs the middle, but I honestly have no clue how busy the MSY-LHR route is.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes they’re 9 across. Seats typically narrower than older planes. Although 777 being refurbed from 9 across to 10 across so going the same way. Reports that in window seat the curve of the fuselage impacts shoulder room, and aisle is narrow and passing trolley and foot traffic results in bumps and disturbance.

In fairness this problem is not unique to BA. Is WT+ in your price range?

On a positive note the B787 and A350 really do have improved air quality that helps hugely with overcoming flight grogginess and jet-lag.

Maybe of help 35J25W154Y The BA Source

nancypants and george77300 like this.

Last edited by dougzz; Aug 16, 19 at 11:15 am Reason: Added ba source link.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There have been a few threads on this and yes, indeed, I'm sorry to say that BA's 788 cabin in Y is very uncomfortable so your wife is right to be worried. I'd agree that window and aisle towards the back of the cabin are the least likely to see someone sat between you in the middle, though as you say, it really depends on loads, which will vary on every flight and will only be clear (ish) a day or two before you are due to travel.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I will pile in. Having seen 787s on other airlines, I've come to conclusion it's just a rotten aircraft in economy, but a pretty good aircraft in other cabins. If you can get rebooked to WTP then I would do so, that's fairly good on the 787 series.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. I figured it would be pretty rough, just based on 3-3-3. There's more legroom than el al, but fundamentally the plane isn't any wider, so 3-3-3 is 3-3-3.

I booked the ticket with chase points through their system. Not entirely sure how exactly I would go about upgrading to WTP, or what kind of cost I might expect. Should it be as simple as managing my booking on BA's website, or might I have to call? I can afford it, but I do hate feeling like I'm held hostage by a bad seat and forced to upgrade. Guess it depends on the price.

The upside is that I've never flown nonstop to an international destination out of MSY, so even a bad seat is better than a layover in New York or wherever. Heck, we only have two flights a day to any European destination.
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And I will pile in. Having seen 787s on other airlines, I've come to conclusion it's just a rotten aircraft in economy, but a pretty good aircraft in other cabins. If you can get rebooked to WTP then I would do so, that's fairly good on the 787 series.
Thanks for the tip on the WTP rebook. Was a $250 upgrade, which seems like a decent deal to me so I sucked it up and grabbed it.
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BeanbeanBean View Post
Thanks for the tip on the WTP rebook. Was a $250 upgrade, which seems like a decent deal to me so I sucked it up and grabbed it.
Oh definitely yes on an overnight. If you have BA or AA as your frequent flyer card it should give a nice boost there too.
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:45 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
787 3-3-3 is the most uncomfortable plane i ever flew in Y. Doesnt matter which Airline. I am 1.80 67 kilos and the experience is just awful. BA AC AV all the same. The seats are so narrow. Most like a nightmare instead of dreamliner!
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
787 3-3-3 is the most uncomfortable plane i ever flew in Y. Doesnt matter which Airline.
But atb2-4-2 on the other hand, it is a Dreamliner on JL...
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
That might be the best money you ever spent.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Wasn't that always Boeing's intention? Until someone realised you could make the aisles super narrow, and shoehorn in an extra narrow seat for 9 across? That person should be condemned to forever travel economy on the 787.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I'd second this, 787 in economy is very tight for a long haul flight. Air quality is a plus but it doesn't make up for the downsides in my humble opinion.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:21 pm

Well I'll go against the grain in saying I flew it overnight from PIT a few months ago and it was fine. But I did have an empty seat next to me and that makes a yuuge difference.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
I have been on record many times on FT as rejecting much cheaper upgrades to premium economy, but on a 787 (or on a 10-across 777) I would make an exception and do what you did. I don't consider economy on those aircraft to be acceptable for a long flight, there is no shoulder room.

I have only flown once on each, thankfully with an empty seat next to me, and I just won't consider them in the future. I would take a stopover if necessary.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post

Yes but thats the only airline left with 2-4-2 conf.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: